Solo Cross Country Went Well

Scud_072

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scud
Did my first solo cross country last week. 2.7 on the hobbs, two stops. I was right at 31 hours when I did it and it went well. Flew via VORs as waypoints, talked to ATC, used flight following, dodged some traffic via ATC vectors (had one close call as ATC warned me of another plan just as it passed directly under me by about 500 feet). All in all I loved it. Felt like a real pilot for the first time. Also one of the first times flying that I had periods of time with nothing to do but scan for traffic and be amazed by it all. Thank you all for all your help and support.

Great Job. Its fun when all the training comes together and you actually get to fly somewhere and then fly back by yourself.

Joe

Congrats! I've got my solo xc planned for Sunday. Hope it goes as well as yours did. I'm thinking it's "easier" solo than with the instructor, as you aren't distracted by someone else in the cockpit (my instructor does a great job trying to distract me with his wonderment of the prisons and roads to nowhere in the FL panhandle passing below us, though unless he has amnesia, he's seen them a thousand times, so I'm not fooled). are you more focused when by yourself?

congrats! Great feeling and experience

You are a real pilot.

Sounds like you are well on your way. Time to get ready for that silly little test they give you at the end.

Good job!

Congratulations....

Personally, I felt the same way. My Solo XC was a bigger event to me than the Solo trip around the pattern :)

Congrats! I've got my solo xc planned for Sunday. Hope it goes as well as yours did. I'm thinking it's "easier" solo than with the instructor, as you aren't distracted by someone else in the cockpit (my instructor does a great job trying to distract me with his wonderment of the prisons and roads to nowhere in the FL panhandle passing below us, though unless he has amnesia, he's seen them a thousand times, so I'm not fooled). are you more focused when by yourself?

Everyone is probably different. When I was a student, I preferred flying alone. It removed that moment of wondering if CFI was going to go "Why did you do that?"

Now as a pilot, I don't really care to fly alone much.

Hyper focused. It is all you up there baby so you are totally focused. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the good words everyone. To be honest, the preflight planning and creating and filing the flight plan was harder than flying the plane and took about as long as the flight. I am sure that gets easier too.

Congrats Scud. I'm looking forward to my first, should be coming up in the next couple of weeks.

Back