Solid guidance on NAFLD?

F

Fatty liver

Been scrubbing the internet for a while, looking for what to expect on my 2nd class medical exam coming up. I can’t seem to find a definitive consensus. All I see are forum posts ranging from “non-issue” to “definite deferral, need testing, possible HIMS”

I have been diagnosed with fatty liver, (non-alcoholic, i rarely drink) due to having a very poor diet for too long. I've already adjusted my diet and am making progress on losing weight. I had the ultrasound done last and no cirrhosis was found.

Can someone give me a straight-up ballpark of what to expect? is this a matter of getting a letter from my PCP? or am I looking at a deferral?

Well, hims is a kafkatrap. And a very formidable one at that. So proceed cautiously.

Make CERTAIN to get consult prior to starting an application.

Finding an AME who is well versed with fatty liver issues seems to be the prudent thing.

It seems that it will be deferred.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ss/exam_tech/item38/amd/conditions/cirrhosis/

I have autoimmune liver disease for which I take an immunosuppressant. I used Dr. Bruce as my AME and as I recall we submitted a couple of hundred pages of material. I received an SI and immediately went Basic Med. To keep my 3rd class would have required more testing and reporting every year.

Your experience may be similar. Or it may not, but I wouldn’t count on it being any better, especially for a 2nd class.

I'm interested in this too. I'm in a somewhat different boat but on my neuropsychological evaluation for the ADHD diagnosis I had when the psychologist reviewed my medical records he indicated on his report that I was diagnosed with Steatosis of the liver which from what I can tell is just medical speak for fatty liver although it doesn't have Steatohepatitis which I think is medical speak for NAFLD so it's sort of different but sort of the same. I'm hoping because mine doesn't have the indication of inflammation and it's just fat build up that it will be a non-issue. It seems like just having a liver enzyme value out of range just a little will get you steatosis and mine fluctuates with my weight. I can gain 5-10 pounds and it'll put it out of range and then i can lose those 5 or 10 pounds and it goes right back in range. Good luck

Thank you all for your input but I feel like these situations don’t apply to me.

There is no cirrhosis. And certainly no autoimmune condition causing it. It’s purely diet-induced, which is being corrected and I’m losing weight already.

Thank you all for your input but I feel like these situations don’t apply to me.

There is no cirrhosis. And certainly no autoimmune condition causing it. It’s purely diet-induced, which is being corrected and I’m losing weight already.

What you think applies and what you have to do to prove to the FAA your condition is what you say it is are two different things.

Get a letter from you doc saying the diagnosis is NASH, and current lab consistent with the above…. Get issued in the office.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back