Soled a new flight student after a long battle with the "medical"

Dave Krall CFII

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES, Cmcl HELI
Some doctor many years ago thought he saw some symptoms of an adult disease and for over 2 years now the flight student has been trying to prove to the FAA that he doesn't have it.

Finally he got an unrestricted medical so we bolted to the airport. BFI was just a little too cross-windy so headed for Bremerton which was worse but Tacoma ATIS sounded good so in we went and 3 T&Gs latter we have a new soled pilot... a partial defector from gliders.

congratd to Dave and student! what did you find his weak/strong points were from transitioning from gliders? I will be getting my Glider CFI his Private ASEL rating this summer and am looking for any insight. I know that he had a hell of a time getting used to the idea of taxiing, before now his idea of taxiing has involved brute strength or a car and a rope.

tonycondon said:
congratd to Dave and student! what did you find his weak/strong points were from transitioning from gliders? I will be getting my Glider CFI his Private ASEL rating this summer and am looking for any insight. I know that he had a hell of a time getting used to the idea of taxiing, before now his idea of taxiing has involved brute strength or a car and a rope.

Thanks Tony.
It was mainly his persistance in waiting and waiting for the FAA medical racket to free him up that got him through it. It's embarassing to be associated with that "system".

His glider experience certainly helped in expediting the aquisition of the "feel" of flying and it yielded no detractors that I could see, in fact he was digging the power of a C150 at his command! And of course many times in his flight training, as is my usual practice, anytime someone even mentions the word glider or longing to fly one, I immediatly pull the power and give them one... "Hear's your glider!"

Back