Soldotna, AK - Any flying recommendations?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Hello PoA,

I'm heading up to Soldotna/Sterling, AK on Saturday for a week to visit my wife's parents. I'm thinking it would be great to do some flying up there. Does anyone have any recommendations on good outfits to fly with?

Thanks,

CC268

Last edited:
MARC at the soldotna airport has rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MARC at the soldotna airport has rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose I could rent, although I was looking to just fly with someone experienced. AK flying is no joke

I suppose I could rent, although I was looking to just fly with someone experienced. AK flying is no joke

MARC has instructors and they would probably be up for a flightseeing venture. 172 or 182 iirc.

MARC has instructors and they would probably be up for a flightseeing venture. 172 or 182 iirc.

Cool maybe I will check them out. My wife's parents have lived up there for most of their lives and they have family friends with super cubs, etc. So I may go up with a family friend.

Ooo they got a Citabria I see.

I also here Scenic Mountain Air is cool too. Although that is more of a sight seeing tour. Would be nice to be able to actually fly a bit.

Just stay out of the clouds, don't fly into box canyons and don't hit any mountains and you will be Ok.

I took many fresh from the flight school flight instructors and turned them into capable brush pilots. (the R is for regulations. Regs has taken the fun out of flying in Alaska...:lol::lol:)

Just stay out of the clouds, don't fly into box canyons and don't hit any mountains and you will be Ok.

I took many fresh from the flight school flight instructors and turned them into capable brush pilots. (the R is for regulations. Regs has taken the fun out of flying in Alaska...:lol::lol:)

I really want to land on some dirt mannnn. Tired of Cherokees and landing on paved runways. BORINGGGG :p

I really want to land on some dirt mannnn. Tired of Cherokees and landing on paved runways. BORINGGGG :p

I can't blame ya one bit..!!!

Try to get some off airport training... maybe land on the highway... or get some beach landings near Ninilckik.... or go across the inlet, land on the beach and visit the bears in Lake Clark National Park.

Man, I am making myself feel home sick for Ak again.

Have fun and enjoy the scenery..:) Don't think you would have the time for it but, what about a tail wheel endorsement. Now that would be fun and a feather in your cap..:rolleyes:

Have fun and enjoy the scenery..:) Don't think you would have the time for it but, what about a tail wheel endorsement. Now that would be fun and a feather in your cap..:rolleyes:

*Sigh*...I really need to get it. I have 7 hours in tailwheels, but no tailwheel endorsement (1 hour in a Decathlon, 5 in a Great Lakes, 1 in a Pitts). I'm working on my Commercial now and have a cash reserve piled up for it. I really can't eat into it right now. That said I have every intention of getting it at some point.

This won't be my last trip to Alaska (since my wife's parents live there). If I can't do it now I can always do it later.

Try to get some off airport training... maybe land on the highway... or get some beach landings near Ninilckik.... or go across the inlet, land on the beach and visit the bears in Lake Clark National Park.
Beach landing in SE AK can be interesting, definitely need to use the tide table....:)
I have a few stories some with good endings and some not so good about forgetting to use the tide table..

I can't blame ya one bit..!!!

Man, I am making myself feel home sick for Ak again.

Debating between that and float flying. I may be able to do both. One of the family friends has a dirt strip at their house and has a Super Cub on big tires. Could always go up with him and then do some float flying over at Alaska Float Ratings.

Come to Anchorage for a day. Fly with Acme Cub Training. They have big tires for off airport and floats if you prefer that. I don't know anything about Soldotna or Kenai options but generally speaking the better "dirt" flying is out of Anchorage/Wasilla/Palmer. Right now that'd be the Talkeetna Mountains or the Knik River. Everything else is under water from all the rain we've had this summer!

Debating between that and float flying. I may be able to do both. One of the family friends has a dirt strip at their house and has a Super Cub on big tires. Could always go up with him and then do some float flying over at Alaska Float Ratings.
I've got a friend who has a Scout. He has a tundra tire set up, floats and skis, an all around Alaska plane..:thumbsup: Wish I could afford a plane like that..:(

Come to Anchorage for a day. Fly with Acme Cub Training. They have big tires for off airport and floats if you prefer that. I don't know anything about Soldotna or Kenai options but generally speaking the better "dirt" flying is out of Anchorage/Wasilla/Palmer. Right now that'd be the Talkeetna Mountains or the Knik River. Everything else is under water from all the rain we've had this summer!

Thanks, I will check them out!

I dunno, I got no problems landing on dirt in my cherokee. Quite a number of dirt strips in the Mountain Time Zone. No wheel pants, tho.

I dunno, I got no problems landing on dirt in my cherokee. Quite a number of dirt strips in the Mountain Time Zone. No wheel pants, tho.

Yea...I just don't want to tear up my beautiful paint ha

Dirt and dirt strips are two different things. I fly off of dirt strips to get to dirt. No paved ops for me. Prop damage is easy to manage on most days. Humidity and temperature are the big reason we get rock dings since most rock dings are from rocks thrown over the top by tires. Nose draggers have an advantage, not a prop clearance disadvantage that most will assume.

Back