For Sale *SOLD* RV-10 Empennage and Wing kit

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
Due to two major life changes, we have decided not to finish the build. I got a new job that will take most of my free time and we totaled our Mooney, so our plans have shifted dramatically. It doesn't make sense for us to try to continue the build.

The empennage is complete with exception of fiberglass and attachment. All parts have been alodined and epoxy primed.

The slow build wing kit is just started very little work done on it.

Build log is available here: https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=N87VG

I also have a QB fuselage order in place (no deposit yet) scheduled for June delivery.

I imagine cancelling such a large undertaking does not come easy. Life will do what it does.

I toyed w/ the idea a year or so ago. My neighbor built an RV4 and offered to give me a good deal on his tools and provide support. Nope. I don't have what it takes for a build. Software I can handle. I'm iffy w/ hardware.

I imagine cancelling such a large undertaking does not come easy. Life will do what it does.

I toyed w/ the idea a year or so ago. My neighbor built an RV4 and offered to give me a good deal on his tools and provide support. Nope. I don't have what it takes for a build. Software I can handle. I'm iffy w/ hardware.
Compared to crashing a plane, this decision was pretty easy. ;)

Seriously though, this isn't a crushing blow. I'm sure I'll build a plane some day, but it will be something more "fun" later when I have spare time again. The RV-10 was meant to replace the Mooney, without the Mooney and spare time it just doesn't make sense any more.

Dang man… Are you taking a temporary reprieve or something longer term from flying?

i wish I was in a position to start one
but I found your builder's log very interesting. Wasn't aware EAA had such a tool.
Anyway, I found it interesting seeing the kinds of things you logged. Looks like you spent quite a lot of time working on practice kits... & I never thought of logging practice and education, improving the shop and benches, etc... Does that sort of time count towards the 51% build credit (or whatever that is, I'm not up on the experimental build specifics)...or is it just for your own awareness?

i wish I was in a position to start one
but I found your builder's log very interesting. Wasn't aware EAA had such a tool.
Anyway, I found it interesting seeing the kinds of things you logged. Looks like you spent quite a lot of time working on practice kits... & I never thought of logging practice and education, improving the shop and benches, etc... Does that sort of time count towards the 51% build credit (or whatever that is, I'm not up on the experimental build specifics)...or is it just for your own awareness?
Doesn't count to 51%, just logged all the time we spent for our own information. It's amusing to go back and see how long it took us to do simple things at the beginning - and how bad we did on them. LOL

Does that sort of time count towards the 51% build credit (or whatever that is, I'm not up on the experimental build specifics)
The 51% rule means that you complete at least 51% of the tasks in a checklist - has nothing to do with time. "Calibrate Fuel System Components" counts just as much as "Fabricate Fuselage Covering or Skin". See https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-27G.pdf appendix 8.
I have a video on this, but you don't want to watch it.

too many people get wrapped around the axle about the 51% rule. if the kit is on the FAA 51% list, as all RV's are, then all you need to worry about is documenting that that it was built by someone (does not have to be you) for educational or recreational purposes. so all you really need to show is that you did not use hired help for beyond the extend allowed and if you bought an unfinished kit, that the previous owner also did not use hired help beyond the limits and was building for educational or recreational purposes.
if you look at appendix G of ac20-27, which is the checklist, building the wing spar counts as one point, as does bolting in the instruments. so unless you hire someone to build the airframe most builders will meet the requiremets without any problems.

the FAA and dar's are not out to deny A/W's for EAB, they just want to assure that you didn't hire a build and are trying to get an EAB certificate. in general the more complicated and expensive the plane, the more they look. for the most part, they know the minute they walk into your hangar if you built it or not. a nice clean hangar with very few or no tools in it is a big red flag.

too many people get wrapped around the axle about the 51% rule. if the kit is on the FAA 51% list, as all RV's are, then all you need to worry about is documenting that that it was built by someone (does not have to be you) for educational or recreational purposes. so all you really need to show is that you did not use hired help for beyond the extend allowed and if you bought an unfinished kit, that the previous owner also did not use hired help beyond the limits and was building for educational or recreational purposes.
if you look at appendix G of ac20-27, which is the checklist, building the wing spar counts as one point, as does bolting in the instruments. so unless you hire someone to build the airframe most builders will meet the requiremets without any problems.

the FAA and dar's are not out to deny A/W's for EAB, they just want to assure that you didn't hire a build and are trying to get an EAB certificate. in general the more complicated and expensive the plane, the more they look. for the most part, they know the minute they walk into your hangar if you built it or not. a nice clean hangar with very few or no tools in it is a big red flag.
Actually, last I looked the RV-10 is not on the Faa 51% list. but it's still trivial.

why not? I might, actually....
Nearly 30 minutes of boring blah blah blah. And some people get all offended if you link your own videos because you might make a fraction of a penny... (So far, I've earned about $0.50 per minute of video on this one... Yea, I'm getting filthy rich doing this. :) )

Apparently I'm stupid because I still don't see it.
I guess I was looking at the wrong document. I see it now in a different doc.

I'm holding out for an Aerostar with modern automobile engines just to make @Tantalum jealous.
Hey I just flew a flippin' 182 to Tucson!

My recent fantasy was experimental-ing two Chevy LS into Twin Bonanza

Hey I just flew a flippin' 182 to Tucson!

How long ya stayin'?

Oh and pre-congrats on the sale of the kit Salty. I love your attitude with losing your Mooney and all. I doubt I could be as upbeat as you are.

How long ya stayin'?

Oh and pre-congrats on the sale of the kit Salty. I love your attitude with losing your Mooney and all. I doubt I could be as upbeat as you are.
Thanks. Best part is my neighbor bought it so with any luck we'll get to see our work fly in the next few years. He's been planning on starting on a -10 and this is the kick he needed.

Nearly 30 minutes of boring blah blah blah. And some people get all offended if you link your own videos because you might make a fraction of a penny... (So far, I've earned about $0.50 per minute of video on this one... Yea, I'm getting filthy rich doing this. :) )

well, you earned another $0.00015 or so...... I actually appreciate your posting about your video! Seems like a good primer on the subject.
While I've been an EAA member for years and being a mechanically inclined and a handy guy (in Red Green's terms anyway), I have always been a little interested in building but I've never sat down and really digested all this stuff. Now that I'm starting to seriously day-dream about retirement, I'm imagining one or two scenarios in which I might actually do it.

@Salty , for some reason i thought you were retired or at least semi retired.

Back