Sold my Malibu

kmead

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
kmead
It's kind of a sad day. The funds just transferred, the sale is now complete. I think we have owned our Malibu since 2005. It's been a real privilege to have owned such a capable aircraft. Back in 1985 I would have never thought it would have been possible.

The aircraft is only going a short distance, ICT. I'll miss flying in the flight levels and pressurization.

I will move the 172 out east to Keene NH soon. I don't know what I want next but I hope it's turbine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 118
Meridian! :yes:

Congratulations, Kevin.

Always loved the Malibu / Mirages. Some of these older Meridians would be a nice upgrade for ya.

The TBM price is too much for me. It looks like my attention is going to be on this old house in MA for a while. I have been thinking a Cheyene with a partner. I've done some Pre-purchase inspections on a T1 and a T2 recently and have gotten more interested in this slow but strong airframe.

The TBM price is too much for me. It looks like my attention is going to be on this old house in MA for a while. I have been thinking a Cheyene with a partner. I've done some Pre-purchase inspections on a T1 and a T2 recently and have gotten more interested in this slow but strong airframe.

I really like my Conquest I, if you want to leave brand P for brand C. :D

I've got a bit of time in a Cheyenne II. I would go for that over the I. Purchase price is about the same, and the extra power is useful.

It's built about like a tank, and flies like a Navajo. Nice cabin. It's not much faster than your Malibu and will burn about 3x the fuel. But, the pair of PT-6s are nice to have. I'm a fan.

Have a few hours in the Cheyenne and liked it.they are priced around the same as some new piston singles. Good Luck

I know they say if you have to ask, you cant afford it.. but what was the ballpark hourly operating cost??

I know they say if you have to ask, you cant afford it.. but what was the ballpark hourly operating cost??
Never owned one but loved reading about Malibus and it is my understanding that hourly cost was around $210-230.

Malibu or Cheyenne? Malibu, Plus One Flyers in SD I think rents theirs at $275 hr. It was cheaper than the SR-22, and you can rent it for extended trips. If I lived in San Diego I'd be a member.

If you're talking the Cheyenne, it kinda depends on how you handle the long term costs of the engines, but I doubt you get away with much under $900 hr by watching for a low-mid time set of engines to come on the market and snag them up for replacements when the time comes. To me a turbine has to have a job that will pay for turbine engines. One way or another it has to make its own money at a minimum.

We figured the Cheyenne was around $900/hr to operate. One of my friends had said $300+ on the Malibu he owned.

Most people simply don't understand PT-6 MX costs over time, and are unwilling to listen to those who do. Most (but not all) owners finally figure out that their engines can be operated for 8,000 hours between overhauls and that the hot-section-inspections at 1,800 hour intervals cost about the same as a set of big-bore continental reman or O/H. Once they understand how it really works, the decision to own is much easier, but most continue to believe the bogeyman "they cost $250,000!" while failing to grasp the concept that a private owner won't use up a set of engines in 30 years of flying.

Most people simply don't understand PT-6 MX costs over time, and are unwilling to listen to those who do. Most (but not all) owners finally figure out that their engines can be operated for 8,000 hours between overhauls and that the hot-section-inspections at 1,800 hour intervals cost about the same as a set of big-bore continental reman or O/H. Once they understand how it really works, the decision to own is much easier, but most continue to believe the bogeyman "they cost $250,000!" while failing to grasp the concept that a private owner won't use up a set of engines in 30 years of flying.

Yeah, but aren't you the one who always says "You can't figure the costs until the end of the ownership cycle."? Even if you never use up a set of engines, you still have to sell a plane with a used up set of engines, do you expect the buyer to not take that into consideration? Now if one expects to "be buried with their plane", then they can discount end life/overhaul engine costs and wrap them up into just amortizing the entire cost of the plane down to zero figuring to sell it to the scrapper at the end of the use cycle. Plenty of old turbine powered planes out there that are basically worthless.

So, that comes to what, $31.25/hr for overhaul (the $250k/8,000h) plus another $20/hr for hot section inspections (I just guessed at $36k/1800h), for a total of about $50/hr for engine reserve.

Back