Sold Clifford, preparing for next steps...

TazzyTazzy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mitch
This weekend I sold Clifford - BMW R1200RT
IMG_20140419_185329-M.jpg

I was kind of sad to see him ride off without me, but life will go on and looking forward to spending more time in the air. I sold Clifford as I stopped riding him for the last 2-3 years. I got tired of cars changing lanes into me, pulling out in front of me, and just being general A-Hole drivers. At least in the car, I have airbags and crumple zones.

< rant >
I realize I live in California, but I live in NorCal, not SoCal (huge huge difference for those that don't live in the Golden State) and I'm kind of used to it anyways; however, something has changed in Sacramento in the last 5-7 years. Drivers have gotten more and more aggressive and more selfish. Driving on the shoulder as a lane when the freeway is stopped or too slow, getting on/off the freeway when they know there are no lights and they can continue on and merge back onto the freeway, using carpool lane with only one person, etc. People are running more red lights, etc. It's just getting bad. The cops only sit on the side of the road with their radar guns looking for speeders, uncaring about unsafe drivers.
< /rant >

So, onto the next stage of my life. I've made random comments on FB about me wishing the club 172 was available for a weekend trip - it's usually booked about 5-8 weeks out. About 4 months ago, my A&P buddy approached me wondering about my desire and ability to buy an airplane.

I started talking to my better half about our future, where we want to live, life goals (short and long term), and just talking about things. It's been a great experience and we're learning about each other more and more (we're engaged, not married yet). So, this has been a great experience so far. I've read every post on here and other forums about purchasing a plane and the costs of ownership. I've come up with a spreadsheet to get an idea of costs (fixed and variable). We are able to financially afford this, so we are good from a financial perspective; even with kids. We'll pay cash for the plane and it won't be financed and still have plenty of reserves for whatever.

A few weeks ago, the four of us (my partner, me, my A&P buddy and his partner) met for a nice dinner and we started talking about some preliminary details about where the plane would be stored, who would do what, some basic ground rules (to be put into a contract) and see if we are agreeable in general. We are all on board. We think we want to get a Mooney, and I've been eyeing an M20J and I my A&P buddy is on board with it. Here's the catch - I've only ever seen them from the outside, never sat in one. So, our next step goal is to find someone to take us around the block in an M20. If anyone knows a Mooney owner in NorCal, please speak up. We would appreciate showing your Mooney off to us, we can meet up wherever.

Here's the plus side to owning a Mooney M20 - my CFII friend used to own a Mooney and is friends with myself and my A&P buddy. However, he sold his in the divorce and has since moved to Portland. We still see each other a few times a year and chat a lot. My CFII friend is now excited for us to buy a Mooney and offered free training for whatever hours in type we need for insurance reasons, and to get my HP/Complex endorsements. He's even offered to teach us our IFR in exchange for meals (not expected to be eating out). He works from home and I have a spare bedroom and an extra car. So, he could come down every other week during the summer to get us IFR training. My buddy can be each others safety pilot during training during the weeks my CFI buddy is not in town. He's even offered to go with us to ferry the plane wherever we buy the plane - we just buy his air ticket and pay for any hotels if needed.

He won't take cash, so we'll let him fly the Mooney whenever he wants (he pays for consumables) when he's in town and we all agree that's more than a fair.

Like I said, looking forward to the next mode of transportation.

Wow. I thought I would at least get one of:

1) Get more experience before getting a Mooney.
2) I don't know how you live in Cali with the/their/your crazy ________ (laws, taxes, etc etc)
3) Sounds like a good idea with your CFI.

:)

Cheers...

Mitch,

Color me jealous. I would kill for an opportunity like this on an a36, or cherokee 6 out in Vegas.

Tazzy -- take a stroll over to MooneySpace.com. That's where most us Mooney owners reside.

And don't take a ride in a Mooney you can't afford. Not only will you be depressed you can't afford it, the owner will be spending hours cleaning out the drool.

Second for Mooneyspace. We have lots of people in Kalifornia.

Nobody needs "more experience" before getting a Mooney, you just need an instructor to teach you the right way to fly it.

Visit MAPA, too, there are some model-specific write ups available free (www.mooneypilots.org), and you can get on the old-fashioned email boards and meet the gurus. Plus get a nice magazine and sign up for Pilot Proficiency Programs for hands-on training in your aircraft. Highly recommended!

Back