Soil samples with Garmin 496

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
I want to take some soil samples on my farm and plot the location of each sample site with my Garmin 496. Then, I want to extract the sample site file and print it out as a map or at least as a text. Then, I can go to the same site each subsequent sample cycle and I can also use it to develop a variable rate application instruction to be used by fertilizer applicators or auto-steering devices.
Does anyone know if the 496 will do this readily? I will take a sample perhaps as often as every 5 acres. It needs to be accurate to within about 10-15 meters, although I'd prefer something down to the 1 meter range.

You should be able to create a user waypoint in the 496, check your manual.
I have done something similar using a Garmin eTrex.
Then I used "EasyGPS" freeware to get to the waypoint list that is in the GPS. You can then save the waypoint list to a file and reload it later if you want.
This requires an interface cable of some sort.

For accuracy, I don't think the 496 has WAAS, so you'll probably be in the 10-15 meter range. If it has WAAS you could be down near 1 meter.

You might be able to do this with nothing more than your cell phone. My next door neighbor owns a fire sprinkler installation business. He employs around thirty installation workers.

I asked him how he keeps track of all these people, so he showed me. He has a program on his computer that he can track any cell phone number. He picked out one guy to demonstrate for me. It showed him at his house in the morning, then his drive to work, stopping at a 7-11 on the way, it showed the address. It went on to show exactly every place this guy went, where he stopped, the bar he went to on his way home, then back to his house. The whole thing was printable. It showed where he turned off his phone at home.

All you would have to do is have your cell phone with you, the program would give you a complete record of all your stops for the day.

I don't know much more than that about it, I guess I could ask him for the name of the program for you.

John

The Garmin 496 is WAAS capable so the accuracey will be fine. Just press and hold the enter button to create a user way point. Write down what number is where and you should be good to go.

Quit being a tightwad and just pay for the grid sampling by the applicator. ;) (Said by a former TerraGator operator)

Honestly, though, depending on what software the applicator is using, they may need their waypoints formatted a specific way and entered into their specific software to get the grid and sample weightings to match up to something that the VRT software (Falcon or alike) on the application equipment can read.

If you really want to save some money on your application costs, take your 496 and drive around the growable perimeter of your fields, then export that track (496 has a mini USB port on the back that will interface with software from Garmin IIRC), and then figure up an ACCURATE acreage for each field. I have pulled into fields that the farmer claimed were 100 acres that actually ended up having 120 acres in them and vice versa - they're usually happy when they are expecting to pay for 120 acres but only get billed for 100, but they scream like banshees when it's the other way around.

Back