Software update issue

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
I have a question about XP Pro and can't seem to get anywhere with the puzzle palace. Does one of you know what's goin on <g>

I have things set up to automatically notify me when there are updates. Recently got the little yellow shield with an exclaimation point and checked for down loads. I am running Office 2003; about half were for that. The other half were for Office 2007 and I didn't download them. Now, I keep getting reminders I have updates and they are all for Office 2007.

Was my old program automatically changed to 2007? If not, how do I get ride of these. Why can't MS let me know what in the h**l their doin!!

Thanks

Best,

Dave

You'd know if you had Office 2007. The user interface is different and they've hidden all the things you used to know how to do in different places. I've got it on this machine only because I'm running Vista on it. Office 2003 on the others. And no plans to update them, either.

Just ignore the Office 2007 updates.

Dave,

Check Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. My bet is you have either the Office 2007 Trial OR (more likely) the Office Compatibility Pack installed (allows you to open, with your copy of Office 2003, the Office 2007 documents that other people create/send you).

Installing the updates won't hurt your system, but at least that might alleviate some concern about "why" it's offering them to you.

Thanks guys. I was completely lost and MS sure wasn't 'xplaining anything!!

Best,

Dave

...just works better and costs less. Plus, no designed-in obsolescence and file incompatilibility. For text processing, MS Word island a pathetic excuse... and MS' product upgrade and file format policies are offensive.

...just works better and costs less. Plus, no designed-in obsolescence and file incompatilibility. For text processing, MS Word island a pathetic excuse... and MS' product upgrade and file format policies are offensive.

Dang Spike, you're starting to sound like a Mac user. ;)

Back