Software to help IFR training

C

cal33

I am about to start my IFR training. i figured that there might be good software out there to help learning all the techniques, since its cheaper to go over it on the ground instead of learning everything while flying. any info would help, thanks

I know of no software which teaches instrument flying techniques. There are quite a few training tools out there which in the hands of a good instrument instructor are very useful in improving instrument training efficiency and effectiveness, but none which substitute for competent instruction. Best bet is to talk to your instructor and see what s/he suggests, as it's always better to use a training tool with which the instructor is familiar and comfortable.

I am about to start my IFR training. i figured that there might be good software out there to help learning all the techniques, since its cheaper to go over it on the ground instead of learning everything while flying. any info would help, thanks

There are several options for practicing instrument work on a computer including MSFS, OnTop, Elite, etc, and any of them can be successfully used as a tool to increase your performance in the airplane. But don't make the mistake of trying to get ahead of your CFI as the most likely result would be learning a bunch of bad habits that will have to be unlearned. I suggest that you involve your CFI in that effort and restrict yourself to only those things the CFI has faith in your ability to recognize and correct the errors you make. It might also be useful to work with a fellow IR student so you can monitor each others performance.

I don't know if it is still available but the King/Cessna Cleared for the Approach training program introduced the concepts of flying in the system and then demonstrated them in videos. This could help you you understand better what your CFI-I is trying to teach you when in the plane. But to really learn you have to fly.

since its cheaper to go over it on the ground instead of learning everything while flying.

If your instructor wants to teach you everything while you're in the airplane, find yourself another instructor.

Back