Softie 240 wedge parachutes for sale 2002 and 2005 mfg date

pigpenracing

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
pigpen
I have 2 matching red softie 240 wedge chutes with matching carry bags. These chutes are in excellent condition. One was new in 2002 and the other in 2005. $1250 each or $2350 for both. Rated up to 240 lbs.
n2450y@gmail.com or 979-451-3251
These are up around the $2400 range each new.

I just thought I'd post an FYI about Softie chutes. They can't be repacked after 20 years. Only Softie and I believe Security have this time limit. Strong and National can be repacked regardless of age as long as the rigger is satisfied with the condition. I do own a Softie chute.

Here's a link that explains it in more detail.

http://www.parachuteshop.com/life_limits_parachutes.htm

Dave

I just thought I'd post an FYI about Softie chutes. They can't be repacked after 20 years. Only Softie and I believe Security have this time limit. Strong and National can be repacked regardless of age as long as the rigger is satisfied with the condition. I do own a Softie chute.

Here's a link that explains it in more detail.

http://www.parachuteshop.com/life_limits_parachutes.htm

Dave

the manufacturers recommend 20 years based (supposedly) on fabric strength degradation, but of course plenty of conspiracy theorists are sure its just to scare people into buying new parachutes. That website you link to says right at the bottom that there is no way for them to enforce the 20 year recommendation. There are plenty of riggers who will repack a Softie if it is more than 20 years old as long as it is in good condition.

the manufacturers recommend 20 years based (supposedly) on fabric strength degradation, but of course plenty of conspiracy theorists are sure its just to scare people into buying new parachutes. That website you link to says right at the bottom that there is no way for them to enforce the 20 year recommendation. There are plenty of riggers who will repack a Softie if it is more than 20 years old as long as it is in good condition.

Tony,
Softie/Paraphenalia lists 20 years as the service life in their manual under "1.4 - Service Life". If reading what my manual says makes me a conspiracy theorist in your view, so be it.

Tony,
Softie/Paraphenalia lists 20 years as the service life in their manual under "1.4 - Service Life". If reading what my manual says makes me a conspiracy theorist in your view, so be it.

no, unless you have a tinfoil hat and can't seem to escape the black helicopters...

no, unless you have a tinfoil hat and can't seem to escape the black helicopters...

Tony, even the OP says they have plenty of life left. Yes... These chutes were 2002 and 2005. Lots of life left in them. Doesn't that imply a life limit? Let's say you need a chute and can't afford a new one. There's two for sale in similar condition. Either will meet your needs. Both are ten years old. Both cost about the same when they were new. Which chute is worth more - the one that has ten years life left or the one with no life limit? The people I know that sell used chutes say the softies aren't as valuable as similar Nationals or Strongs. Perhaps they wear tinfoil hats too :rolleyes:.

i'm confused. Softie recommends a life limit. It is a completely unenforcable life limit. some people follow it and some riggers will not re-pack a chute older than that. their choice. Others are convinced that Softie only recommends the limit in order to help Softie sell parachutes. For those people, a 20+ year old Softie still has value.

i'm confused. Softie recommends a life limit. It is a completely unenforcable life limit. some people follow it and some riggers will not re-pack a chute older than that. their choice. Others are convinced that Softie only recommends the limit in order to help Softie sell parachutes. For those people, a 20+ year old Softie still has value.

Amen brotha!

You sound like somebody that just paid way too much for a used Softie chute. Do a little research next you buy used products ;):D

i've never paid too much for a softie chute. i've been aware of the "life limit" since I started flying gliders and was interested in chutes. My first chute was over 15 years old and purchased used from Allen Silver (A strong 20 year believer) at a steeply discounted price since he believes that at 20 years it has a value of $0 and prices used chutes accordingly. I flew with it until it was 22 years old or so and gave it to my friend who needed a newer chute. I had bought Leah a new Softie for Christmas so she bought me a new one for my birthday.

I thought because the life limit is in the manual and somewhere the rules say parachutes must be packed according the manual, that the life limit has some teeth.

Back