Soft delete vs hard delete?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
This was something new to me so I thought I'd try it. When I tried to delete visitor messages I got a little window asking me if I wanted to soft delete them and I said "OK" because it was something new and different and I didn't understand just what it meant and thought the little window might know something that I didn't. So now the messages are deleted but each one says it's been deleted now and isn't all the way gone. :dunno: How do I make those things go away?

Thanks.

Hard delete.

-Skip
Well, it won't give me that option now. I had my chance and blew it. :dunno:

I know, I'll leave you a visitor message and you can soft delete it and then figure out how to hard delete it and then let me know. :yes:

Thanks Skip!

I know, I'll leave you a visitor message and you can soft delete it and then figure out how to hard delete it and then let me know. :yes:

:D:D:D Clever girl!

Don't feel alone in the confused department, Diana - I went to my own visitor's section, left myself a message and when trying to delete it, the "Soft Delete" radio button is the only selection, already selected, and I can't deselect it. Which, by definition of a radio button, is correct, but incorrectly implemented. Radio buttons should have more than once choice, where you select "one and only one". So, danged if I know!!!

I "assume" soft delete is equivalent of "trash can" and hard delete is like "delete - bypass the trash can", but I don't see a "empty the trash" option there, either.

I'm afraid that due to limitations of vBulletin, we can not give you the option to hard delete visitor messages at this time. The visitor messages, which anyone can post and read, and the User notes, which the MC posts and only you can read, are controlled by the same permissions, and since we use usernotes to record disciplinary actions, giving you the ability to perma delete visitor notes would give you permissions to perma delete disciplinary actions.

Sorry. :(

I'm afraid that due to limitations of vBulletin, we can not give you the option to hard delete visitor messages at this time. The visitor messages, which anyone can post and read, and the User notes, which the MC posts and only you can read, are controlled by the same permissions, and since we use usernotes to record disciplinary actions, giving you the ability to perma delete visitor notes would give you permissions to perma delete disciplinary actions.

Oh, OK, thanks for the explanation Chuck. I'll quit trying to figure it out now. I thought I couldn't do it because I was clueless. :D

Oh, OK, thanks for the explanation Chuck. I'll quit trying to figure it out now. I thought I couldn't do it because I was clueless. :D

You may believe that if you wish. :)

That seems pretty reasonable.

If we promise not to use this silly feature again, will you please hard delete the messages that we have soft deleted?

Diana -- see what kind of trouble you get me into? :D

I'm actually thinking about turning them off. vBulletin slipped them in with the latest upgrade and I'm not all that keen on them, m'self.

I'm actually thinking about turning them off. vBulletin slipped them in with the latest upgrade and I'm not all that keen on them, m'self.

I think that would be a good decision.

Diana -- see what kind of trouble you get me into? :D
Oops. :D

So, I wonder if other people can't see what I'm seeing when I go to my profile and I see that there are messages that say that messages have been deleted.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like a very useful function since we have PMs.

Oops. :D

So, I wonder if other people can't see what I'm seeing when I go to my profile and I see that there are messages that say that messages have been deleted.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like a very useful function since we have PMs.

When I look at your profile, I do not see any messages about deleted messages.

There are many things I am unsure about but one thing I'm pretty positive about though is that I do not have PMS.:D

When I look at your profile, I do not see any messages about deleted messages.
Ooooooooooooooh, THAT might explain why some people had no idea what I was talking about since they couldn't see what I was seeing. BTW, this is similar to a question I ask my patients if I suspect that they are hallucinating.

There are many things I am unsure about but one thing I'm pretty positive about though is that I do not have PMS.:D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah I don't see the point of them. They're kind of like public private discussions, which is weird.

Since we've never had them, I doubt anyone will really MISS them, but its not just my decision to keep/lose them.

My impression was that they might be the kind of thing that could be used for a guestbook -- kind of like the thing you might see at a B&B (or an airport!).

For a general forum, they seem to be lacking in merit.

They're another step to be closer to myspace. Like profile comments there. I vote to turn them off, lest vBulletin turn into a "comment whoring" session.

I used them a little before I realized what they are. I agree, PMs are a better solution for the way I work. My vote, which would count for nothing except that I live near Chicago and therefore get to vote often, is to turn them off. Unless, of course, we get to delete our own disciplinary actions!:)

Back