SODA question

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
Well I just got my medical renewed today with no problems, but while I was in the doctors office I noticed that my color vision SODA was for third class only. If I was to get a higher class medical will I have to retake to color vision test?

Peter

vontresc said:
while I was in the doctors office I noticed that my color vision SODA was for third class only. If I was to get a higher class medical will I have to retake to color vision test?

Pretty much, the answer is yes. We can issue for the class listed or a lower class but not a higher class. The FAA gets more anal when you can carry unsuspecting passengers and has tighter tolerances for higher classes. If you passed a light test previously, you would probably be asked to do a medical flight test doing the same thing while flying.

Barb(AME)

Thats very interesting. I often thought about that. SO, if someone wanted to get a second class medical but already had a waiver for third class then they would have to do the light gun test from the air?

What would they do if you were to do it for a first class medical?

Is there anywhere online we could look up what the requirements would be for a color vision SODA for each class of medical?

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you fail the light gun test from the air? Does the 3rd class waiver become invalid?

Thats a darn good question Skyhog! I would hate to lose my 3rd class waiver.

vontresc said:
Well I just got my medical renewed today with no problems, but while I was in the doctors office I noticed that my color vision SODA was for third class only. If I was to get a higher class medical will I have to retake to color vision test?

Only if you want to fly at night for hire.

The test for 2nd class SODA is the same as third class. For first class you identify the light signals it from the air. Call over to the FSDO and ask what it would take to get a second class SODA. Either they will write it up or tell you that you have to take the same test you took before again.

Len

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back