SODA Flight Today with My Student

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
So this afternoon I'm flying up with my student to our local FSDO for a color blindness SODA. The test will consist of a light gun and a flight test. Since my student is pre-solo I'll be flying with the inspector in the back. The inspector flying with us is actually a graduate of our school and very fair.

Anyone have any tips or helpful suggestions? This will be my first student going in for a SODA.

P.S. I posted here for visibility.

So this afternoon I'm flying up with my student to our local FSDO for a color blindness SODA. The test will consist of a light gun and a flight test. Since my student is pre-solo I'll be flying with the inspector in the back. The inspector flying with us is actually a graduate of our school and very fair.

Anyone have any tips or helpful suggestions? This will be my first student going in for a SODA.

P.S. I posted here for visibility.

Dr Bruce advice to was do everything by the book, from preflight to parking. If you can't see into the fuel tank when you check the caps for security, get a ladder and look in the tanks.

My FSDO was easier going on me, but the inspector is active in the GA scene here.

Has your student practiced the light guns in the exact same conditions that the test will be performed? Same time of day, same location, etc? If not -- CANCEL. This can't be messed up. They need practice.

Has your student practiced the light guns in the exact same conditions that the test will be performed? Same time of day, same location, etc? If not -- CANCEL. This can't be messed up. They need practice.

He has. The past few weeks I've been having him point out stuff from the air.

Cough once for red and sniffle for green!

In all seriousness, hope it went well today for both of you

Cough once for red and sniffle for green!

In all seriousness, hope it went well today for both of you

He passed! :D

The longest item was the light gun test and that took about 40 mins. You have to do 6 light identifications at 1000' and 1500'. Plus you have to wait three minutes between each light. So we just shot the bull inbetween the lights.

The flight test was the shortest FAA ride I've done. We just did a wide pattern over the river. She just asked my student to point out colors and various objects on the ground. We had a nice stiff x/w of about 17kts. My student did amazing job on the takeoff and I did the pattern and landing. It ended up being my best x/w landing in a long time. The inspector even said it was a nice landing.

Overall it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. She even "ramp checked" us to show my student how painless it is.

Back