Social Security Disability Claim

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I need some advice.

My brother in law had a stroke and is now (according to his DR) disabled. He cannot move his right arm, and cannot control his bladder. Speech is slurred.

He applied for disability benefits with SS and was told he needed an attorney to process his claim. He contacted one attorney and he wants a retainer of $6,000. :eek:

Does this sound right? Why does he need an attorney? Is this Obamacare run amuck again?

Last edited:
I need some advice.

My brother in law had a stroke and is now (according to his DR) disabled. He cannot move his right arm, and cannot control his bladder. Speech is slurred.

He applied for disability benefits with SS and was told he needed an attorney to process his claim. He contacted one attorney and he wants a retainer of $6,000. :eek:

Does this sound right? Why does he need an attorney? Is this Obamacare run amuck again?

Why would the needy public be required to hire anyone to process papers for government assistance? If this is coming from the idiots who work for the government, its obvious they intend to discourage people from applying, and prevent those who can't affort a lawyer from receiving anything altogether.

Keep the poor DIRT poor.

My guess is the application is quite complex due to the number of people who have tried (and succeeded) to game the system. Good luck with your relative, I hope he gets the assistance he requires.

I need some advice.

No this is not correct. I went through this 8 years ago. I fired my attorney and found me a really nice lady who helped me.

First these attorney's will tell you they want 1/3 of what you get from SS. What they do not tell you is according to the law they can only take up to 5000 grand. No more. If you receive 100 grand in back SS they do not get 1/3 of this but 5 grand.

Because these attorney's want 1/3 and get 1/3 of what people get in back SS because people do not know the law these attorney's drag out these claims to get the best check they can. The more time it takes the bigger the back ss payment will be.

They went back 10 years on me because the attorney's kept dragging it out. I gave the attorney a stack of files and x-rays over 1 foot high and all he did was put a one line sentence down on the forums as to what my problem was. Stay on top of your attorney and look over all documents they want to send in to SS in your behave. do not just let them say they sent such and such document look at it.

Good luck sorry to hear about this.

Tony

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with the affordable care act or as everyone calls it Obamacare. But about greedy attorney's taking advantage of those when they are in the hardest times of their lives.

Tony

This has nothing to do with the affordable care act or as everyone calls it Obamacare. But about greedy attorney's taking advantage of those when they are in the hardest times of their lives.

Tony
There are plenty of attorneys out there so it should be possible to find one to do the work at a fair price.

Who told him that he has to be represented by an attorney ?

The reality is, most SSI-DI applications get rejected the first time around and it is helpful to have someone on your side who knows what the magic words are in the different boxes on the forms and how to package the medical files to make for a good claim. That representative can be an attorney, but there are plenty of other disability advocates who are not attorneys and familiar with the system.

The reason it is so hard to get disability benefits is because 90% of applications are from people who just dont want to work.

Most claims are now initially denied. You could hire a disability attorney,or try to work within the system. If you talk to the right person it can work.

There are plenty of attorneys out there so it should be possible to find one to do the work at a fair price.

The price is set forth in laws these attorney's should follow but do not. They count on people not knowing they only can collect $5000.00 and not a penny more.

Tony

The price is set forth in laws these attorney's should follow but do not. They count on people not knowing they only can collect $5000.00 and not a penny more.

Tony
Crooked attorneys? You gotta be kidding? :wink2:

The reason it is so hard to get disability benefits is because 90% of applications are from people who just dont want to work.

Then the people who really need SS have to fight an uphill battle to get it.

Tony
Sloth....one of the 7 deadly sins....

I've heard no one is denied SS, you just have to keep reapplying. Eventually every request gets approved. No idea about the lawyer angle but it sound like a crock. There has got to be legal aid from a law school or a gov agency nearby tasked with getting this stuff through.

He applied for disability benefits

....... Is this Obamacare run amuck again?

Something terribly ironic about a relative applying for government checks while disparaging a system designed to make individuals be responsible for their own health insurance...

:dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back