Social Network For Safety Pilots

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Is there one? Even an online bulletin board?

I know there are pilots in Kansas City, Lawrence, and Topeka who need time but I don't have a good way of finding them other than driving (or flying...) to different FBOs at different airports and looking for hand-made posters from others in my position...

Is POA a good resource for this? Where would be the most appropriate place to search for Safety Pilots on POA? The Classifieds?

The way it's worked for me and people I know, is that you just ask a buddy.

Do not underestimate the power of MeetUp.com. It kinda looks like FecesBook but it is better because it serves ONLY ONE purpose: meeting of people of the same interest.
Create a local aviator group (or find and join an existing one) and soon you'll have more SPs than you can count on one hand. :)
We just did a MeetUp fly-out to a new airport restaurant on Saturday, it was a blast.
And it sure beats FecesBook where you cannot get to pertinent information through all the useless fluff and billions of self-important a-holes.

The way it's worked for me and people I know, is that you just ask a buddy.

That's part of my problem, due to my sporadic flying and flying at odd hours I don't really know anyone else who flies other than the handful of CFIs I've met and worked with. When I'm at the airport, I'm there to fly because my time away from home or work is very short so I don't get a lot of social time.

I joined CAP in an effort to meet more flyers but there aren't many pilots it seems...

Is there one? Even an online bulletin board?

I know there are pilots in Kansas City, Lawrence, and Topeka who need time but I don't have a good way of finding them other than driving (or flying...) to different FBOs at different airports and looking for hand-made posters from others in my position...

Is POA a good resource for this? Where would be the most appropriate place to search for Safety Pilots on POA? The Classifieds?

Try the KC AvGeeks facebook group. It's not ALL pilots, but there are a number of active ones on there.

That's part of my problem, due to my sporadic flying and flying at odd hours I don't really know anyone else who flies other than the handful of CFIs I've met and worked with. When I'm at the airport, I'm there to fly because my time away from home or work is very short so I don't get a lot of social time.

I joined CAP in an effort to meet more flyers but there aren't many pilots it seems...

You mainly at IXD or LWC?

There are a few of us local to IXD that might be able to go for a hop, but I don't know anyone at LWC.

Your CFIs might have some other students that could be a resource.

Just thought of another thing as far as using this as a time-building opportunity for someone else: insurance.

There is the PIC operating the controls, and the safety pilot can act as PIC during the time the pilot flying is under the hood. Depending on just how the club or FBO insurance policy is written, you might not be covered if something happens during the time you are under the hood if the safety pilot is not also covered by that policy. In the case where you are both members of the club, or both checked out by the same FBO rental procedure, then you are probably OK. But for someone outside that group, think carefully - this is one of those one in a million things, but it can be a big deal if something happens.

Last edited:
You mainly at IXD or LWC?

There are a few of us local to IXD that might be able to go for a hop, but I don't know anyone at LWC.

Your CFIs might have some other students that could be a resource.

Still mostly flying out of IXD. I'm switching over to NCAS in January and letting my flying club membership expire. Nicer planes and less expensive for a straight up rental. Bummer about the Archer though...

Still mostly flying out of IXD. I'm switching over to NCAS in January and letting my flying club membership expire. Nicer planes and less expensive for a straight up rental. Bummer about the Archer though...
Yeah, that was my favorite. But they added a 172 and have another getting ready. By the way, I'm all set with them as far as being a qualified renter, and live just a few minutes away. And there might be another couple of safety pilot options for you, too.

Yeah, that was my favorite. But they added a 172 and have another getting ready. By the way, I'm all set with them as far as being a qualified renter, and live just a few minutes away. And there might be another couple of safety pilot options for you, too.
Cool, after my checkout, I'll PM you

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Join a local Eaa chapter,you may have some luck there,depending how active the chapter is.

I've suggested that this board set up sub-forums for local areas or airports.

Go post in the "Denver" subforum for "Safety Pilot Wanted at KAPA this Saturday" or somesuch. Local pilots could subscribe to local forums.

Those forums could be used to discuss local happenings also... airport construction, closures, proposals, procedures, NOTAMs, CFI & DPE lists, mechanics and avionics shops, hangar availability, whatever. Stuff that has only local appeal but no real forum.

As word (and google searches) get out, it might increase the use of PoA to discuss narrow local topics.

Just a thought.

Just thought of another thing as far as using this as a time-building opportunity for someone else: insurance.

There is the PIC operating the controls, and the safety pilot can act as PIC during the time the pilot flying is under the hood. Depending on just how the club or FBO insurance policy is written, you might not be covered if something happens during the time you are under the hood if the safety pilot is not also covered by that policy. In the case where you are both members of the club, or both checked out by the same FBO rental procedure, then you are probably OK. But for someone outside that group, think carefully - this is one of those one in a million things, but it can be a big deal if something happens.

Nah, that won't be a problem. You are the legal PIC for the flight; buddy is acting PIC while you're under the hood. You are PIC the whole time, it doesn't pass off onto the other guy. "Sole manipulator of controls" and all that.

Nah, that won't be a problem. You are the legal PIC for the flight; buddy is acting PIC while you're under the hood. You are PIC the whole time, it doesn't pass off onto the other guy. "Sole manipulator of controls" and all that.

Yeah, shouldn't be, but still need to think about it.

If the safety pilot is acting as PIC while you're under the hood, then the safety pilot is the legal PIC for that portion of the flight.

If the safety pilot is acting as PIC while you're under the hood, then the safety pilot is the legal PIC for that portion of the flight.

No, everyone is PIC. Guy under the hood, guy watching clouds, guy reading a book, me at home, everyone. Wheeeee! Log it. Log it all. FAA says its legal and right so have a ball.

No, everyone is PIC. Guy under the hood, guy watching clouds, guy reading a book, me at home, everyone. Wheeeee! Log it. Log it all. FAA says its legal and right so have a ball.

The legal definition of PIC is in 14 CFR 1.1. The rules for who can log PIC are in 14 CFR 61.51. It's unfortunate that they chose to use the same term for two different concepts.

Ha, ha. :) Finally totally agree with you!

[rant] WTF is it w/safety pilots? Get a CFII! Jessuz, I would never put that ***** in my logbook. Get a life. :raspberry:
[/rant]

Over and out.

dtuuri

Last edited:
I don't use safety pilots anymore. Once a year I do an IPC and the rest of the time I just keep current the old fashioned way.

My issue with safety pilots through online networking (local boards, whatever) is that what has often happened with me is I get some young guy volunteering who has his PPL and is flying two hours a month, and now wants to fly the plane and get a landing or two in himself in return for safety piloting. It is much better to just ask a buddy pilot or someone you meet at the airport. Preferably someone who owns their own plane or flies a lot. I've had two bad experiences with young dudes who think they're hot **** and are not.

Meetup is a good option, also some Facebook groups.

Back