Social Justice

Permission? You will need to fill out all applicable forms in triplicate and submit to the proper authorities...:D...whoever they are...

Put it out there...the worse that could happen is it get zapped to the Spin Zone.

Permission to ask a question regarding Social Justice?

Is social justice like a social disease?

Social justice is a term describing how those who have not worked to get an education, save for the future, or do anything to help themselves, then demand the same benefits as those who have.

I don't do a lot of commercial flying, about 1 1/2 times a year on average.
I have never noticed a Captain or First officer that have been non-caucasion!
A few females as First Officer, in all areas of my world, including applicants for the Union plumber/steamfitter apprenticeship program, federal law requires a percentage of new students to be minorities/women regardless of their scores an apptitude tests relating to said trade, if they meet minimum requirements. Does this apply to the Airlines hiring new Pilots?

A few females as First Officer, in all areas of my world, including applicants for the Union plumber/steamfitter apprenticeship program, federal law requires a percentage of new students to be minorities/women regardless of their scores an apptitude tests relating to said trade, if they meet minimum requirements. Does this apply to the Airlines hiring new Pilots?

Airlines generally hire fully trained, ATP rated pilots. ATP rated pilots are generally white males, and that is why you see a lot of white guys in the cockpit.

Ask silly question, get silly answer.

Last edited:
soul-plane.jpg

soulplanepic.jpg

In all seriousness, I've flown with a bunch of "non-Caucasian" pilots in my career. I'll admit that they are definitely in the minority. Can't give you a scientifically acceptable answer as to why, but it seems to me that maybe these groups as a whole just don't want to be pilots.

I'm a non-Caucasian, non-male ATP and I carry a big stick (figuratively) so everyone behave.

You need to fly more. Up until within the last year Delta's most senior Captain was an African American who started out as a mechanic IIRC. He hit mandatory retirement in 2013.

You need to fly more. Up until within the last year Delta's most senior Captain was an African American who started out as a mechanic IIRC. He hit mandatory retirement in 2013.
Which country in Africa was he from?

You need to fly more. I have seen quite a few female and "non-Caucasian" pilots (or both) and they were up to snuff...no doubt.

Is this something you set out to see?

A few females as First Officer, in all areas of my world, including applicants for the Union plumber/steamfitter apprenticeship program, federal law requires a percentage of new students to be minorities/women regardless of their scores an apptitude tests relating to said trade, if they meet minimum requirements.

This seems contradictory to me...I may be making a determination based solely on what you have written. So I will assume that an aptitude test as it is is not part of a minimum requirement...

Does this apply to the Airlines hiring new Pilots?

kyleb says:

Airlines generally hire fully trained, ATP rated pilots. ATP rated pilots are generally white males, and that is why you see a lot of white guys in the cockpit.

You use this as a criteria, you get Colgan Air flight 3407.

According to the Census web page in 2012 the population in the US that identifies themselves only as Black or African American is 13.1%. Those that identify themselves only as White is 77.9%. 63% if you use the category White alone not Hispanic or Latino.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

I don't know the actual break down of pilots by race but based on that information and your flying frequency alone even if pilots mirrored the general population (I would guess you are correct in assuming they don't) your observations alone wouldn't really give you enough information to make an informed decision.

Last edited:
Back