SoCal trip

ahmad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Midwest Aviator
I have put in a bunch of hours in the C172 this week. SoCal is pretty damn amazing but at times it has felt like the wild wild west. A few things that has stood out so far:

- It's been crazy hot here and hot starts can be frustrating. I feel like I am getting some valuable lessons stored in the memory bank.
- DA is no joke. Early morning flights are much much better than the afternoons.
- While getting flight following and inside the class E (10 miles outside of class C)the approach restricted me to an altitude level for some 15 miles. I obviously complied but found it interesting.
- At F70 at 8 am it was a circus. Someone reported being on downwind and so I proceeded to the runway. as soon as I crossed the hold short line he asked if I can wait. I said sorry I'm already past the hold line and almost on the runway. he got a bit ****y saying he called downwind. lol. He called downwind then a nose dive short approach. Just nuts.
- On another flight with flight following the approach reported traffic 6 o'clock less than 2 miles same altitude and not talking to him. I start a descent and turn 20 to the right. I see him on the scope doing the same thing. I increase rate of descent and turn left. Yup, he does the same. Then he calls approach to get clearance into the C ahead and says he has me in sight ahead of him. approach tells him to maintain visual separation from me. he says ok and passes me overhead by 200 ft.
- The marine layer here has no regard for us pilots. It changes on a dime and the TAF can't really help accurately predicting it.

Few more days of this "fun". I'm loving it though.

I have put in a bunch of hours in the C172 this week. SoCal is pretty damn amazing but at times it has felt like the wild wild west. A few things that has stood out so far:

- It's been crazy hot here and hot starts can be frustrating. I feel like I am getting some valuable lessons stored in the memory bank.
- DA is no joke. Early morning flights are much much better than the afternoons.
- While getting flight following and inside the class E (10 miles outside of class C)the approach restricted me to an altitude level for some 15 miles. I obviously complied but found it interesting.
- At F70 at 8 am it was a circus. Someone reported being on downwind and so I proceeded to the runway. as soon as I crossed the hold short line he asked if I can wait. I said sorry I'm already past the hold line and almost on the runway. he got a bit ****y saying he called downwind. lol. He called downwind then a nose dive short approach. Just nuts.
- On another flight with flight following the approach reported traffic 6 o'clock less than 2 miles same altitude and not talking to him. I start a descent and turn 20 to the right. I see him on the scope doing the same thing. I increase rate of descent and turn left. Yup, he does the same. Then he calls approach to get clearance into the C ahead and says he has me in sight ahead of him. approach tells him to maintain visual separation from me. he says ok and passes me overhead by 200 ft.
- The marine layer here has no regard for us pilots. It changes on a dime and the TAF can't really help accurately predicting it.

Few more days of this "fun". I'm loving it though.
What Class E? Are you talking about a Surface Area? Which Class C? I dunno if turning to the right because you are being overtaken is such a good idea. That's what the overtaking aircraft is supposed to do. 91.113 (f)

There’s rude people, they just seem to come out and act like they own the place. Really not much room for those folk in aviation.

Back