SoCal Summer Get Together!

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
The last 2 times we all got together a great time was had by all, and I think it's about time to do it again! Last time was way back in January, this time the weather should be even nicer, so who's in? I think everyone enjoyed Flying into Santa Monica to meet up, where do we wanna go this time?

I'm thinking Catalina would be the perfect summertime location as it shouldn't be as hot as anywhere inland, plus it's just beautiful and a great little airport. Oceano is also on my hit list for this summer, but might be a bit far north for some of us down in San Diego. I'm open for suggestions, and dates!

I really wanna do an overnight camping trip to Oceano this summer, so even if it doesn't happen for this meetup I'd totally come and join if a Nor Cal group wanted to meet there.

Assuming I get the compressor issued fixed on the Yak I'd be up for a get-together.

Avalon would be a bit of a stretch for me, blue water in a plane with ~3 hrs max range (if I fill the aux tank), no fuel on the field. I know it is possible though, could always stop near the coast on the way back.

Alternatives would be Flabob, Chino, Hemet, French Valley, Big Bear, Camarillo.

My EAA Chapter flew up to Big Bear last year and the pilot's association there were great hosts and it is gorgeous terrain (can be bumpy though).

Was out at the hangar today for first time in over a month (business and personal travel), was good to be out there but didn't finish getting the loaner compressor installed.

20150627_110024_zpsw3t9drkq.jpg

'Gimp

Wherever it is, just need to make sure I can stay VFR :) Probably won't start my IR training until later this year. I'll also need a bit of notice so I can book a plane for the day from Plus One.

-Brian

I've talked to a couple people who have expressed interest. How about we pin this one down. Catalina on July 11th. Who's in?

Avalon would be a bit of a stretch for me, blue water in a plane with ~3 hrs max range (if I fill the aux tank), no fuel on the field. I know it is possible though, could always stop near the coast on the way back.

What's your cruise speed in that bird? I'd love to see it up close and personal, so I sure hope you're able to make it out!

What's your cruise speed in that bird? I'd love to see it up close and personal, so I sure hope you're able to make it out!
Cruise speed in the Yak is solely dependent on how much $$ I want to spend, typical cruise at low-mid altitudes is about 130 KTS and ~12GPH although I haven't spent much time in cruise mode yet. Avalon is doable for sure, even from KSEE, but I'd need to fill the Aux tank to have adequate reserve unless I stopped on the way back.

Everyone should see it, is badass. :D :yes:

20150406_160137_zpssjxs5oiz.jpg

'Gimp

I have a Cessna booked from KMYF for the day. As long as the skies are clear, I am down!

-Brian

Loaner compressor installed and leak checked - air system checks good on the ground. 12 of 18 intake/exhaust collars were loose enough to retighten and safety, will button it back up this afternoon and check flight this evening or tomorrow morning. Might just try Avalon next weekend.

'Gimp

Loaner compressor installed and leak checked - air system checks good on the ground. 12 of 18 intake/exhaust collars were loose enough to retighten and safety, will button it back up this afternoon and check flight this evening or tomorrow morning. Might just try Avalon next weekend.

'Gimp

Woo Hoo! I cant wait to see that thing! Had I realized you were gonna be wrenching on it today I woulda flown down and given you a hand. Feel free to let me know if you ever need some help.

Starting to look at weather forecasts. I've been loving the overcast layer lately for getting some practice on my new IR, but I'm hoping it'll open up for us on Saturday so all the VFR pilots can make it as well!

Yeah, early forecasts say AM clouds for saturday. They've also been saying AM clouds for the past few days, but they don't burn off. Hoping it is clear for Sat! Not going to start my IR training until later this year.

-Brian

Brian, if it ends up being low overcast I can probably get you a ride with my buddy flying outta MYF or you're welcome to come with me.

I'll keep that in mind, but I will have a friend in from out of town staying with me that was going to tag along, so I wouldn't want to impose an additional passenger on anyone out of the blue.

-Brian

Ah man, I wish I could make it. Unless my schedule changes, I'm supposed to work all day the 11th. Was hoping to make a Catalina run in the next couple weeks too. I'll try and make the next one!

I am on the fence as of today. The Yak is 100% finally, but the logistics of a blue-water crossing are a concern for me. I can take off with a theoretical 3 hours of fuel on board from KSEE and make it out and back, just. I could top off at Palomar or Oceanside on the way out or back.

Check flight yesterday was total success, I am stoked that the whole air system is finally 100%.

Weather will be primary deciding factor for me, as there is also a Young Eagles event at my EAA Chapter on Saturday (KSDM). The clouds have been taking a LONG time to burn off lately, if at all - not going to push it in a day/VFR plane.

Do we have a target arrival time in mind if Wx cooperates?

'Gimp

Originally I was saying noon, but with how the clouds have been lately I'm thinking that pushing the time back a couple hours might be more prudent. If you wanna top off at Palomar I'll meet you there as that's where I'm based. One of my buddies will be bringing his Mooney up and we were planning on doing the trip over in formation as a refresher for both of us. I know you're far more experienced with formation flying than either of us so I'm sure we could make it a 3-ship if you'd like to join in.

Last edited:
Originally I was saying noon, but with how the clouds have been lately I'm thinking that pushing the time back a couple hours might be more prudent. If you wanna top off at Palomar I'll meet you there as that's where I'm based. One of my buddies will be bringing his Mooney up and we were planning on doing the trip over in formation as a refresher for both of us. I know you're far more experienced with formation flying than either of us so I'm sure we could make it a 3-ship if you'd like to join in.
Well that makes it a bit more interesting depending on cruise speeds. Most of our formation flying is done at around 110 KIAS and 50-70% power/82% RPM. Topping off and meeting at KCRQ would be fine - I need to run down to Brown and fill her up anyway ($4.69/gal - literally $1/gal cheaper than the best deal on KSEE) - matters at 12-15 gph.

If that speed (maybe up to 120 KIAS) is comfortable for everyone we can brief up a loose 3-ship gaggle crossing - since the Yak is super draggy I am going to want to be high, 8500' on way over and 9500 on way back to give some glide range.

I am single radio (Garmin GTR 200 with monitor and memory) and use my EFB setup (Garmin Pilot Android with GDL39-3D GPS/ADS-B/AHRS) for nav so having some mutual support might be nice.

'Gimp

If anyone is around the Santa Barbara area and wants a co-pilot let me know, I think I have the day off.

Let's just hope these damn clouds go away. Today didn't even really burn off at all, and I have no desire getting caught out on Catalina with no way to get back to MYF and land :)

-Brian

John that speed doesn't sound bad to me. I cant remember what speeds we were flying with the Mooney group in Yuma, but my normal cruise is around 140 and I know we were well below that. I'll talk to Karson and maybe we can get together a little early at CRQ to figure out the details.

Pretty sure our plan originally would have been an element takeoff, some turns in fingertip, cross unders, possibly swapping leads, then break apart for single ship landing at AVX. Nothing too advanced. Would definitely be cool to add a third!

Dallas do you guys know the handsignals or just use radio calls?

Sounds like you are well along with respect to the maneuvers themselves. Usually best to have lead fly at fairly reduced power/speed so the wingmen have a possibility of adding power to catch-up, for the Yak/CJ/T-34 group we use 110-120 Kts.

Assuming the Wx cooperates we could configure in left echelon for an overhead break to landing depending on how busy the field is, usually set up for a 3-mile initial at or above pattern altitude.

For close formation I might be rusty, haven't been up in a training flight for over a month.

Form6-1_zpsqtykbhho.jpg

Form6-6_zpsxq0u0bda.jpg

If Wx cooperates I think I'm game.

'Gimp

If weather cooperates and we all get to go, I want to know what time you guys expect to get to AVX. I want to get there before you guys so I can get some pictures! I will be in a Cessna 172, so can't tag along as it just won't keep up :)

John,

How do you guys train for formation flying? I would love to do that one day!

-Brian

Dallas do you guys know the handsignals or just use radio calls?

Sounds like you are well along with respect to the maneuvers themselves. Usually best to have lead fly at fairly reduced power/speed so the wingmen have a possibility of adding power to catch-up, for the Yak/CJ/T-34 group we use 110-120 Kts.

Assuming the Wx cooperates we could configure in left echelon for an overhead break to landing depending on how busy the field is, usually set up for a 3-mile initial at or above pattern altitude.

For close formation I might be rusty, haven't been up in a training flight for over a month.

If Wx cooperates I think I'm game.

'Gimp

We were taught the hand signals, but I'll admit it's been a while since I've used them so will need to refresh. The last couple flights I've done were with people who didn't know them so radio was what we used. I'm sure we can come up with a good plan of action when we're all together. Sounds like you guys fly fairly similar to us and I doubt those speeds will be much of an issue, though my buddy will probably have a big power advantage on both of us (M20S with 315hp). Last time I was lead and he just got to fly at a very efficient setting :lol:

Brian, next time I go up you can hop in and check it out for yourself. A lot of it is just planning things out on the ground so that you know what to expect, and have a plan B. The briefing is as important as the flying :)

If weather cooperates and we all get to go, I want to know what time you guys expect to get to AVX. I want to get there before you guys so I can get some pictures! I will be in a Cessna 172, so can't tag along as it just won't keep up :)

John,

How do you guys train for formation flying? I would love to do that one day!

-Brian
Brian, I am working towards my FAST Wingman Card with a group of guys at KSEE. We brief a flight with typically 4-6 training objectives, start-up, taxi-out, take-off in formation, fly the training evolution as briefed, then return to base and de-brief.

The FAST approach is really excellent, very formal and well organized.

There are some guys at Torrance, Tiger Squadron, who are really good and I could make some introductions there, there is also Aviator Flight Training (Daniel Wotring) at Upland. It is a whole different kind of flying, and very rewarding when you get it right.

'Gimp

All, we've had a call for additional Young Eagles support at my EAA chapter tomorrow so I am going to beg out of this run to Catalina and introduce some youngsters to flight instead.

Maybe next time.

'Gimp

Well the clouds have been keeping things pretty gloomy all week but today finally had some blue skies at the coast! I'm hoping that tomorrow will be as good or better. Look forward to seeing you guys there!

Its looking really good for your get together. At the Stearmans Wharf now and visibility looks to be about 10 miles id guess. No clouds down low at all.

AVX is still IFR right now and the satellite view doesn't look too promising for me. :( Will keep an eye out though.

-Brian

Twas a good time had by all. The clouds early were looking like a possible threat but they cleared before I landed. On takeoff there was a low layer on the west side of the island moving in, but it was below runway level and not an issue. On the way out I got to do a little formation practice as well.

11698814_10207190994203352_3399938379941010459_n.jpg

11698616_10207190994243353_3858345901592886818_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hey AcroGimp I just moved to San Diego and would be willing to pitch in for fuel to hitch a ride in your Yak.

Scott

Hey AcroGimp I just moved to San Diego and would be willing to pitch in for fuel to hitch a ride in your Yak.

Scott
Hi Scott.

Yak is starting conditional inspection today and should be down about a week or so for that and some minor mods - happy to take you up once I shake her down after we get it put back together.

'Gimp

Although not Summer, any thing going on out there around Oct 16? :) I am still pondering Palm Springs for the AOPA Expo

After Gaston's (Oct 8th-11th) I'm thinking of heading out to the West Coast in the Comanche as well.

Back