SoCal Question: LGB or SNA for heavy twin?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Question for the current SoCal folks:

We’re taking the Beech 18 to Disneyland to celebrate my dad’s 70th. Will be parking overnight for 3 nights. I’m trying to decide whether to go to LGB or SNA.

When I had the Baron, I always went into FUL, but it’s a bit short for my comfort level in the Beast. I’ve been to both LGB and SNA, but never stayed overnight at SNA. LGB was very easy and accommodating last time I flew in there in the Beech 18, but it’s a little farther away. What I recall from SNA was the ramp was rather congested.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Hobson's choice.

Both great fields.

I think I'd choose SNA, modestly shorter drive to the park.

Where are you staying?

ACI Jet is the new FBO at SNA, heard good things about them. I'd think if you give them a call ahead of time they'd be sure to make room for Beech 18...

Just try to time it so you don't drive from SNA to Disneyland after about 3 pm. Traffic is awful that direction in the afternoon rush.

ACI is the new game I town at SNA and have heard good things. I have been into Atlantic a few time at SNA in my 182...no issues but they definitely cater to the jet crowd over GA and always was made to feel like we were being accommodated cuz they have to.

Just try to time it so you don't drive from SNA to Disneyland after about 3 pm. Traffic is awful that direction in the afternoon rush.
Yeah, that’s the kicker...I don’t think we’ll be able to arrive before 3.

Yeah, that’s the kicker...I don’t think we’ll be able to arrive before 3.

Get an Uber/Super Shuttle/etc and make the driving someone else's problem. There may also be a scheduled hotel shuttle from SNA you could get, if the FBO could get you to the main terminal.

I've had good experiences at both LGB and SNA. I'd probably do SNA. Costs for GA are controlled there due to the lack of GA airports in OC, so fuel isn't crazy expensive and overnights are reasonable. (At least for the little guys. Not sure how an 18 is going to be charged.)

We used Ross Aviation @ LGB last September and they were amazing, but I was also on a Legacy 550. :)

No experience with SNA.

SNA might cost you a little more, but I think it’s worth it if the plan is Disneyland.

Following this thread. I have a charter out to SNA in two weeks. Never been there before.

Side question. Any recommendations for rental/instruction for a trip to Catalina?

We used Ross Aviation @ LGB last September and they were amazing, but I was also on a Legacy 550. :)

No experience with SNA.
Ross (and AirFlite before it) is where I’ve always gone. Fees (even for the Beech 18) were reasonable and they treated me well.

Back