SoCal Notam - GPS Interference Testing

Bender Aviation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bender Aviation
FYI:
May 20- May 25, effecting SoCal from 4000AGL and above. NAV GPS including WAAS and ADS-B may be impacted. See attached files for more info.

Attachments

• E1rkSr4UUAY37Gp.jpg
    E1rkSr4UUAY37Gp.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 23
  • E1rkSr6UcAU2-O6.jpg
    E1rkSr6UcAU2-O6.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 22
Monthly thing here. Probably not as often in SoCal I guess. It’d be a big continuous thread if I posted all of ours.

Have you noticed any disruptions in GPS or ADS-B during their tests?

Personally, no. But I suspect it depends greatly on the exact testing being done, and such.

Many of the warnings for say, the Alamogordo area are safety related in case the indoor GPS test building there that can simulate the entire GPS cluster for various tests, leaks RF accidentally around the building.

Other warnings are for true military jamming tests. And they don’t always share details... for their ... reasons.

Heh.

A friend who is semi-involved in such things says they really do attempt to mitigate impact to civil aviation, often in real-time. Go bombing through the test area, they’ll likely stop and wait, depending on the specific test and details they can’t share.

They also know their transmitter power levels and antenna systems and even though the warnings extend way up into the flight levels, they often aren’t attempting widespread things.

Soooo... the answer is..

Usually not a real problem. Just required safety announcements. Anything truly problematic you’d see ATC routing IFR traffic away from, for a better “hint” at whether it’ll really affect anyone.

But it’s one of those things where if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces — so have a backup plan. :)

Back