Soberlink

Onthegrid

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Small stuff
What are the pros and cons on using Soberlink(which is not a requirement on letter from FAA) in addition to the required 14 urine ETG and 10 drug panel in 12 month period?

What are the pros and cons on using Soberlink(which is not a requirement on letter from FAA) in addition to the required 14 urine ETG and 10 drug panel in 12 month period?
I use SOBERLINK for convenience. I have an intense business that I run and operate. I also work many hours and I have many client meetings. I have to travel a lot. It much easier for me to do this multiple times a day then to go to a lab. It is a little on the costly side, however, if I was to be pulled away from an important meeting and schedule a lab test, it would hinder my business. It’s not on the cheap side, but for me it’s worth it.

Every 12 hours for testing - it's tough to beat a soberlink. But usually we need 3x per day.

Last edited:
For a Class 3 in particular, is there any reason to use SoberLink, BACTrack, etc? The requirement being 14/12 randoms, it would seem that 3x/day SoberLink would be a PITA compared to stopping to make an offering at the clinic once or twice a month. I like the idea of perceived convenience of SoberLink, but if there's no real benefit beyond not having to stop at a clinic, I don't see the value in it (in my case, YMMV)

For a Class 3 in particular, is there any reason to use SoberLink, BACTrack, etc? The requirement being 14/12 randoms, it would seem that 3x/day SoberLink would be a PITA compared to stopping to make an offering at the clinic once or twice a month. I like the idea of perceived convenience of SoberLink, but if there's no real benefit beyond not having to stop at a clinic, I don't see the value in it (in my case, YMMV)
Soberlink is approved by the FAA and FDA. Soberlink also has face recognition and human breath recognition. It's undefeated in my opinion. You can even get the Connect version where it works anywhere in the world if you have data on your cell phone. I highly doubt BACTrack is approved by the FAA.

Not really the focus of the question, however it is NHTSA, DOT and FAA approved, as well as FDA 510(k), same as Soberlink. Either way, the particular brand and model is a secondary consideration. First decision path is type of monitoring. Second path is "flavor".

What I'm asking is what advantage there is to use a portable EBT LIKE SoberLink, BACTrack, or others. If the requirement is 14/12, is there an advantage to portable EBT and having to submit several times every day? To me - the portable EBT requirement/suggestion of several times EVERY DAY, vs 1-2x per month seems like far more headache. Again, everyone has their preference and reasoning for it. I'm trying to figure out what I might not be understanding as a benefit of the portable EBT.

Not really the focus of the question, however it is NHTSA, DOT and FAA approved, as well as FDA 510(k), same as Soberlink. Either way, the particular brand and model is a secondary consideration. First decision path is type of monitoring. Second path is "flavor".

What I'm asking is what advantage there is to use a portable EBT LIKE SoberLink, BACTrack, or others. If the requirement is 14/12, is there an advantage to portable EBT and having to submit several times every day? To me - the portable EBT requirement/suggestion of several times EVERY DAY, vs 1-2x per month seems like far more headache. Again, everyone has their preference and reasoning for it. I'm trying to figure out what I might not be understanding as a benefit of the portable EBT.
For me it super convenient. I have a complex business. I also live in a very remote area and the closest lab is over 1.5 hours away. I also believe Soberlink is the most accurate real life measure. As others have mentioned, it's nearly impossible to beat a Soberlink. It is not financially economical as compared to lab work, but I simply cannot always afford to be taken away from work for over 3 hours. Furthermore, Soberlink is a very good company. Their customer service standards are top notch. I also sometimes travel outside the US. Being able to use this device anywhere in the world is a super + for me. On another note, my HIMS AME gets all the reports as well. The history of monitoring is also always available with a touch of a button.

Sorry for taking this off track, but I'm constantly amazed at the Faa's approach to alcohol abuse. Is there really an alcoholic out there that a 3 x a day test would be necessary? That would mean that there is an alcoholic out there that would need a drink immediately after every test, but be disciplined enough to stop drinking in time to beat a test 8 hours later. Frankly, if someone can do that for an extended period of time successfully, it seems like they're more disciplined than most non alcoholic pilots I know in regards to drinking before flying.

Last edited:
Sorry for taking this off track, but I'm constantly amazed at the Faa's approach to alcohol abuse. Is there really an alcoholic out there that a 3 x a day test would be necessary? That would mean that there is an alcoholic out there that would need a drink immediately after every test, but be disciplined enough to stop drinking in time to beat a test 12 hours later. Frankly, if someone can do that for an extended period of time successfully, it seems like they're more disciplined than most non alcoholic pilots I know in regards to drinking before flying.
Oh agreed. Throw a few ETG and some Peth in there also:)). And at least one 10 panel drug test. But it is what it is.

For me it super convenient. I have a complex business. I also live in a very remote area and the closest lab is over 1.5 hours away. I also believe Soberlink is the most accurate real life measure. As others have mentioned, it's nearly impossible to beat a Soberlink. It is not financially economical as compared to lab work, but I simply cannot always afford to be taken away from work for over 3 hours. Furthermore, Soberlink is a very good company. Their customer service standards are top notch. I also sometimes travel outside the US. Being able to use this device anywhere in the world is a super + for me. On another note, my HIMS AME gets all the reports as well. The history of monitoring is also always available with a touch of a button.
Thank you sir! So really, for someone like me that has a lab 3 blocks from my office and about 20 minutes from home, probably no reason to elect the portable ebt route. For you, totally understandable. Sounds like it's more a matter of which one you can commit to. One requires locale and flexibility, the other is money and commitment to testing several times a day.

I wonder if AME's and the FAA have a preference.

The con is false positives. They exist. They are NOT limited to “alcohol in the area”.

Keep in mind a missed is POSITIVE.

ANY system worth a crap has an established protocol for disputed results that’s COMPREHENSIVE. HIMS has NONE.

You are at the mercy of internet connections and face recognition? YIKES.

Ask your doc what his technical expertise is in those areas…. He’s the only line of defense you got. Ask the RFS or FAS what their policy is regarding false positives. Look into your legal recourse regarding them.

United uses this and has had a whole slew of problems, legally and technically.

Sorry for taking this off track, but I'm constantly amazed at the Faa's approach to alcohol abuse. Is there really an alcoholic out there that a 3 x a day test would be necessary? That would mean that there is an alcoholic out there that would need a drink immediately after every test, but be disciplined enough to stop drinking in time to beat a test 8 hours later. Frankly, if someone can do that for an extended period of time successfully, it seems like they're more disciplined than most non alcoholic pilots I know in regards to drinking before flying.
Yes. I have experienced that. Salty….with all due respect…….

Tools, if the user blows every 8 hrs no matter if requested or not the device stores them and uploads them when the get a WiFi or a cell tower “hit”.

These are ideal for overseas captains…..

Back