Soaring...

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
After I finish this instrument rating up, I think I want to do some flying that involves looking outside at all times and as few instruments as possible. Soaring may well be my next project.

I know of a few places to go for training and have downloaded the official FAA propaganda. I'm looking for any suggestions on other resources (forums, etc) that might help with the transition.

Oddly I don't believe there is an english language soaring forum, just a rec. newsgroup *shudder*
Generic warning; soaring clubs are an inefficient time suck and you will spend at least a year doing hard labor before getting your ticket. Go to a commercial operation and get your glider add on in a couple of days then join the local club get checked out and learn all the soaring stuff.
The club guys that need slave labor to get in the air will be by soon to tell you to go the club route.:lol:

I've read a few warnings to that end. I'm looking into Mile High Gliding in Boulder which has an accelerated add-on option.

Mile high club gliding? Is that safe without an autopilot?:dunno:

Oddly I don't believe there is an english language soaring forum, just a rec. newsgroup *shudder*
Generic warning; soaring clubs are an inefficient time suck and you will spend at least a year doing hard labor before getting your ticket. Go to a commercial operation and get your glider add on in a couple of days then join the local club get checked out and learn all the soaring stuff.
The club guys that need slave labor to get in the air will be by soon to tell you to go the club route.:lol:

Not at our club. We have guys do add-ons in 2-3 weekends. Our biggest problem is getting the examiner down to do the checkride.

plenty of experienced people here happy to answer your questions. Otherwise the rec.aviation.soaring newsgroup is active. I use google groups to access it. SSA website, www.ssa.org has a bunch of info on it. Where are you located?

Some people shudder about club operations. Yes it can take longer to complete an add-on with a club only flying weekends. No it is not slave labor, it takes a club to soar. I did mine in 4 months of alternating weekends. It depends on the student drive and push, not the CFI dragging the student along.

I shudder about one week add-on programs, or what did Sean say? 3 weekends?
We've had people show up with one weeks experience and a fresh check ride, inks not even dry on their ticket. We fly with them for a local checkout, and decide they are not solo ready in our equipment in our location.

Today was a prime example, rough thermal tows, strong 10knt thermals and 10knt sink with dancing crosswinds on the runway as the mini thermals passed through. winds at altitude tearing the thermals apart.

Summer is here, are you ready?

I supervised two add-on student solo flights today, then took the Grob 103 out for an hour long personal flight.

Last edited:
I shudder about one week add-on programs, or what did Sean say? 3 weekends?
?

Ill clarify that in order to do it that quickly its at least 3 flights a day Saturday and Sunday. And these guys are all military pilots who have lots of time in a cockpit. It doesn't happen to often but we get guys that join the club do this and then fly with us until they get pcs'ed.

Looks like Boulder is the closest soaring operation, though there are others located further north and south...

close is good. Boulder has a good club and a good commercial operation so you can have your choice about which approach you'd like. Boulder also has really good soaring!

If you want to travel I did training both at Arizona Soaring north of Phoenix and Seminole Lake Gliderport, finishing my add-on there over a weekend. Great experiences with both.

Back