soaring season is coming...

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
the snow is starting to melt. the next few weeks should be the mud season but once all those fields dry out it will be time to thermal. here's a nice video from, reposted from RAS, that should get everyone in the soaring mood!

I tried to play that video but something was wrong with it, all the text came up jumbled. I then realized that it was a soaring video and the person adding the titles was probably not used to using devices that had motors and electronics in them ;)

dont kid yourselves, some of the cockpits in modern gliders have more electronics than a lot of powered airplanes!

But not your Cherokee II :D

Do you even have an audio vario in there?

Pete

Heck with the $600 Stimulus check you could have enough for a downpayment on a Cambridge 302 :)

Pete

dont kid yourselves, some of the cockpits in modern gliders have more electronics than a lot of powered airplanes!

Yeah, as near as I can tell, the rules about STCs, TSOs, and, A&Ps required for installations don't apply to gliders. Or are they all experimental?

Yeah, as near as I can tell, the rules about STCs, TSOs, and, A&Ps required for installations don't apply to gliders. Or are they all experimental?

most of the modern gliders are imported on experimental exhibition certificates i think. some are type certified though. AFAIK, there are no exeptions to the normal STC, TSO, and A&P requirements for type certified gliders.

Dude,

that video scared the **** out of me.

Seriously, who would want to fly that close to big rocks?

~ Christopher

I like being close to big rocks. I think soaring season is here already, I hope to get a couple flights in this weekend if the weather is up for it. Tony will I see you in Texas?

adam - im highly doubtful for Marfa, unfortunately. the week in albuquerque killed me enough school-wise and classes dont get any easier as the semester wears on...

That is a bummer and true about classes. I feel your pain, I was there last year or two years ago I guess. I am looking forward to hanging out with Matt and Burt. I am definately ready to fly. I am in the same boat with work, I have been to effective so they gave me more to do, and now they are panicing that I want to be gone for ten days. I say don't give me vacation if you don't want me to use it. I will have to figure out how to post videos.

its easy. copy the last part of the youtube link, the N4589021NANAS sort of part then put it between [ yt ] and [ / yt] (no spaces)

and you will love flying at Marfa. thermals down there are great that time of the year. not so strong to scare you but good enough to work, especially with your midwest thermal training.

Cool good to hear from you again Adam. You going down for the wave camp, or just the landmark of soaring dedication? I keep toying with the idea of heading down there, but it's a LONG way to Marfa from MSN. Besides I will hopefully have a Ka-6 to fiddle with after this weekend.

On that note you still looking into that Jantar?

Pete

Soaring season is year-round down here in the southern states, especially at Marfa near the mountains of west Texas.

Burt here - lurking with you guys. Looking forward to seeing Adam here for the Texas Glider Rally. You WILL fly! (But you need to blow something up for me - I'll show it to you when you arrive. It is big and tall.)

Pete - get on down here - you can crash in my guest house with Adam. Matt and his dogs will be next door in my guest cottage.

Tony - study hard! We will think of you whenever we hit a 10 knot thermal.

Been working here at Marfa to get ready for the arrival of 36 sailplanes in addition to my 5 ships. We are a bit overbooked for only 3 towplanes, but since this is not a contest, I hope all the pilots will be patient waiting for tows. Just not enough towplanes available for traveling to the soaring events and contests. Any Cessna 182 can be a towplane. I use a 1958 Cessna 182A. Earlier, lighter model years tow best. Cessna made the towhook part of the original type certificate, so it simply screws in where the tail tiedown was. (I have the confirmation letter from Cessna!)

Got the factory rebuilt 180 HP Lyc O-360 hung on my Cessna 150, but the devil is in the details, hooking up hoses and wires and such.

Sun is rising over the mountains, time to go to the airport.

Great seeing all you guys at ABQ. You are welcome to visit anytime at Marfa!

Burt
Marfa Gliders
www.flygliders.com

Soaring season is year-round down here in the southern states, especially at Marfa near the mountains of west Texas.

Burt here - lurking with you guys. Looking forward to seeing Adam here for the Texas Glider Rally. You WILL fly! (But you need to blow something up for me - I'll show it to you when you arrive. It is big and tall.)

Pete - get on down here - you can crash in my guest house with Adam. Matt and his dogs will be next door in my guest cottage.

Tony - study hard! We will think of you whenever we hit a 10 knot thermal.

Been working here at Marfa to get ready for the arrival of 36 sailplanes in addition to my 5 ships. We are a bit overbooked for only 3 towplanes, but since this is not a contest, I hope all the pilots will be patient waiting for tows. Just not enough towplanes available for traveling to the soaring events and contests. Any Cessna 182 can be a towplane. I use a 1958 Cessna 182A. Earlier, lighter model years tow best. Cessna made the towhook part of the original type certificate, so it simply screws in where the tail tiedown was. (I have the confirmation letter from Cessna!)

Got the factory rebuilt 180 HP Lyc O-360 hung on my Cessna 150, but the devil is in the details, hooking up hoses and wires and such.

Sun is rising over the mountains, time to go to the airport.

Great seeing all you guys at ABQ. You are welcome to visit anytime at Marfa!

Burt
Marfa Gliders
www.flygliders.com

Wow.. So there really IS a 'Burt'. I was beginning to think that Tony had made up "Burt" as his super-soaring alter-ego! ;)

Glad to have you here, Burt. Now you can help fan the flames of Tony's gliding stories! :yes:

lol no PJ, but they are darn nice for keeping the sun out of your eyes and allowing for good visibility. they do set you apart from the crowd (assuming you arent surrounded by glider pilots)

Tilley hats, best thing ever, and they're lifetime replacement works.

I know someone whose tilley went through a prop and he piked up the pieces and sent it to Tilley and the sent him a replacement.

~ Christopher

Get this: Baseball caps are not welcome at the UK Gliding Clubs, I am told. Not just because of the button on top may crack the canopy in turbulent thermals, but because of the limited forward visibility when pulled low over the eyes. It is thought this might have contributed to a mid-air in recent years.

I like the "Gilligan" or properly called a "bucket" hat (my Marfa Gliders hat supplier calls them that) as it also covers the tops of your ears. Many glider pilots have chunks missing from the top of their ears after removal of skin cancer. Having grown up on gliderports in Florida, and now flying sailplanes in west Texas, we take our hats seriously. Sitting in the back seat of a training glider behind a floppy Tilley hat is blinding, not just because of the size, but most of them are white(ish) and reflect brightly in the canopy in front of the back seater (CFI). That's why my "Marfa Gliders" bucket hats are a medium blue or khaki.

In a gaggle of sailplanes in a thermal, or before entering the pattern, I usually take off my hat to try to see traffic, especially those airplane and helicopter drivers that do not know the FAR that sez they must yield right of way to the glider!

My wife Kathie calls them "Glider Goober Hats".
I say: We have seen them goobers and they is us!

Burt Compton, Master CFI, FAA DPE
Marfa Gliders, west Texas www.flygliders.com

Back