soaring intro near santa barbara?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Any recommendations for a glider demo flight/first lesson near KSBA?

Thanks. Any pireps for Santa Ynez?

They tow with a few Pawnees, can be tuff to get ahold of them, not super busy, but a great place for a intro and dinner afterwards.

The only soaring I did was out of Warner Springs, it was a nice operation back then, no idea now.

They have a pretty active operation there. But one heluva drive from SB.

Any recommendations for a glider demo flight/first lesson near KSBA?

Hi. Regarding Santa Ynez airport (KIZA), the glider operation is called Santa Barbara Soaring and the instructor is Cindy Brickner:

http://www.caracole-soaring.com/

She's been flying gliders for nearly 40 years, used to run an operation out of Cal City, and is a good instructor. If you wanted some dual instruction, you can contact her directly though her website. There is a Schweizer 2-33 on the line for instruction. While 2028T is not the prettiest belle at the ball, she is definitely an honest trainer.

I live in downtown SB and it takes me about 35 minutes to get there. I fly glider rides for the operation on weekends.

Cheers,
Paul

They have a pretty active operation there. But one heluva drive from SB.

Yeah, but not too bad of a flight in a 150 or 172, they used to let you fly in if you were coming to soar, but it's been a real long time.

Hi. Regarding Santa Ynez airport (KIZA), the glider operation is called Santa Barbara Soaring and the instructor is Cindy Brickner:

http://www.caracole-soaring.com/

She's been flying gliders for nearly 40 years, used to run an operation out of Cal City, and is a good instructor. If you wanted some dual instruction, you can contact her directly though her website. There is a Schweizer 2-33 on the line for instruction. While 2028T is not the prettiest belle at the ball, she is definitely an honest trainer.

I live in downtown SB and it takes me about 35 minutes to get there. I fly glider rides for the operation on weekends.

Cheers,
Paul

That's an old web site for Cal City. Tell Cindy "Hi" for me. LVVSA

That's an old web site for Cal City. Tell Cindy "Hi" for me. LVVSA

True, but she does still use that site to schedule her students. The Google Calendar on there is up to date.

I will pass along your Hello when I see her tomorrow morning :)

Thank you for the info, Paul.

Timing didn't work out this time around. Next time, Gadget!

Timing didn't work out this time around. Next time, Gadget!

I'm hanging out in Palmdale right now, not too far from Cal City.

Soaring conditions aren't good. Very stable air, no wind. Excellent conditions for sightseeing in powered aircraft, with visibility approaching 100 miles and no dust or haze.

Best to do it another day.

I'm hanging out in Palmdale right now, not too far from Cal City.

Soaring conditions aren't good. Very stable air, no wind. Excellent conditions for sightseeing in powered aircraft, with visibility approaching 100 miles and no dust or haze.

Best to do it another day.

I don't think you'll find sailplanes at CalCity anymore.

Back