Soaring in Aspen, CO?

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Just found out I may be working most of next week in Aspen, and just in case I have some spare time I'm trying to find out about getting in a glider while I'm there. Next best would be to get some powered time in, even dual.

SSA site isn't much help, and my other searches have yielded some vague info on a paragliding school (which might be fun) but little else. The glider club in Englewood is just too far away, methinks (not even sure if I will have a car, let alone time for that drive).
Anybody know of a soaring school in the area? Or maybe even a powered-aircraft flight school?

That's a long drive to anywhere I'd think possible be it Colorado Springs, Grand Junction or Denver. Besides, I can't imagine any areas that close to Aspen you'd even be able to soar in. You're pretty much socked into the mountains in that area. The most open areas are back up around Frisco and some around Eagle and Rifle.

You might get in touch with David. He lives in the Frisco area but that's a pretty good haul.

Ya might get more experience by traveling over to Leadville and learn a bit more about that thing called Density Altitude. I understand it's a real attention-getter at that airport. :) It's a beautiful drive over, as well.

I spent a summer in the Roaring Fork valley working construction and never heard a whisper about gliders. Ok, that was about 20 years ago...

These folks might know a bit more: http://www.aspenairport.com/genaviation_amenities.asp

There's also an airport at Glenwood Springs that has flight training so you could probably get some dual there if Aspen doesn't work out.

And just remember, there's gold medal trout fishing all around up there if ya like fish molesting...

I think your in for a long haul from Aspen for any gliding.

I know that there is a tow plane working out of Salida, but I don't think there's any instruction there AFAIK.

http://www.airsafetynet.com/
Salida is just as much of a haul. Even flying to these places, it won't be easy in a small plane if you had one available right at Aspen.

Go meet up with David and drink him under the table or something. At least you'll have a good contact when you go before the judge for being drunk and disorderly. :)

Oh well, it's a moot point now... they're sending someone else. Maybe another time...

Oh well, it's a moot point now... they're sending someone else. Maybe another time...
For future reference, there was a guy there for years giving instruction in a Grob motorglider...about 5 years ago was the last time I saw him out there, and he had just bought a "touring motorglider"...can't think of the model, but it's a taildragger configuration like a Grob 109. I was trying to convince one of our clients' kids that he needed to learn to fly gliders, since he had just turned 14 ;)

Heard that he moved to a strip up the valley, but don't know anything more current than that. If you get out there, you might ask one of the long-time line guys if he's still around.

Fly safe!

David

All the general aviation action is in Glenwood Springs, at their airport....but I forget the name of the operator there.....

Back