So you believe this is a free country. I will never travel again.

Just so people are aware, this thread dates back to before Spin Zone was removed from PoA.
The rules have changed.

Yeah I miss a lot of the now-absent participants in this 9 year old thread. :D

Every now and then, when I'm feeling silly and bored, I think about going way back and necroposting a thread from the first week or two of POA, with some slightly-related-to-topic video or post, just for the heck of it. :cool: I especially love the posts where it's been necroposted from five to ten years ago, asking the OP a question...when the OP was an anonymous or guest poster and most likely hasn't been on POA since the thread was made. :confused:

Every now and then, when I'm feeling silly and bored, I think about going way back and necroposting a thread from the first week or two of POA, with some slightly-related-to-topic video or post, just for the heck of it. :cool: I especially love the posts where it's been necroposted from five to ten years ago, asking the OP a question...when the OP was an anonymous or guest poster and most likely hasn't been on POA since the thread was made. :confused:
Hey, be tolerant. There are still AOL people just discovering the Internet, apparently.

How's that for a reach back in time? :)

I especially love the posts where it's been necroposted from five to ten years ago, asking the OP a question...when the OP was an anonymous or guest poster and most likely hasn't been on POA since the thread was made. :confused:
Or asking if the item for sale is still available, 10 years later...

Just so people are aware, this thread dates back to before Spin Zone was removed from PoA.
The rules have changed.

Well, that explains why the topic was allowed to go on for so long. I came to get in btl, the guess people are more controlled now?

Well, that explains why the topic was allowed to go on for so long. I came to get in btl, the guess people are more controlled now?

I think most people just ignored the original topic because they knew it was off limits. :cool:

A co-worker from the Birmingham area was commuting to work in coastal Louisiana and passed Lake Charles on the Interstate. He was stopped by a local police officer around De Quincy. My friend has always had a carry permit. And a large caliber revolver. The officer asked about weapons and my friend showed his expensive six shooter. The officer seized it despite it was legally possessed. It was also insured By USAA. He reported the "loss" and USAA contacted the department with the serial number. Of course the police department returned it to the insurance company and they got it back to my friend.

The problem of civil asset forfeiture is older than even this thread.
Fundamentally it's no different than taxation. It's all government taking by force. But if you back up a step you conclude that whatever the government does is directly the fault of people who support government and no one else.

Back to the Canadian question, I can't speak for the whole country, but here in upstate NY, I think pretty much everyone loves the Canadians, with the possible exception of semi-trucks from Quebec. I've seen border patrol stops on 87 just south of the border, and think they're mostly looking for undocumented people. During covid quarantine times, hotels were looking for ID from pretty much everyone, drivers license fine, but there were ever changing rules about who could stay where. Now I think that's gone away. Inside NY, about the only times you need any kind of official documentation for anything is: speeding stop, buying alcohol, renting a car.

TRS-DOS worked great!!

This was a problem since the late 1980's. Everyone knew that you had to be careful about driving through there with out of state plates.

... it happened to everyone (all races).

The rules have changed.
Just to play the devil's advocate, that sort of confirms the basis of the OP, doesn't it?

And Mosaic morphed into Netscape. I believe Mosaic was the first ever browser, back in 1993
Ah, the bad old days. I didn't have a PC at home, but somehow managed to get trumpet winsock and mosaic installed on a machine at my high school, and somehow managed to get a SLIP dialup at a local college.

CDC 6600 with punch cards
:) Machine code, hand toggled into the front panel of an IBM S/360 Model 40. Did it on the Model 30 to, I just don't remember the process since it didn't have toggle switches...

Then there was snipping diodes on PDP-11 diode ROM boards for a bootloader.

I can't remember what someone told me yesterday afternoon, but I can remember that stuff. Go figure.

Let's get on down to it:

iu

Wait, you had an abacus? We had to kill a deer, invent a symbolic system and carve the glyphs into the bone! Then my neighbor Gnale stole the only working set of bones and I was unable to balance my bank account for two months until I made a new set!
Oh….at least you had deer! We, all 23 of my siblings while living UNDER a house, had to …. Oh, never mind.

Those old computers weren't about walking both ways up hill. The TRS-80 I had would boot a floppy disk operating system AND load a word processor faster than the average Windows computer today. Computer hardware is maybe 16,000 times faster, but Microsoft has figured out how to make software 30,000 times slower. And less reliable. And although they now have about a million times more memory, in the old days there was enough left to emulate disk drives. Today, we use disk to extend memory. Overall? Something like 10^9 to 10^12 times less efficient. Sorry, rant about reverse progress.

Yep! I'd used the originals, but I had a model 4P, and upgraded the drives to be double sided. I think 360k each? I took it on a flight once, and the flight attended thought it was cute that a college kid was carrying a sewing machine...because that's what it looked like.

Back