So why aren't there any cool commercials to motivate people to go fly.

Actually, when Icon first announced plans to build the LSA seaplane, they did all their promotion LA style, with lots of glitz and pretty girls. Got slammed for it pretty roundly.

Still going in full force here at Oshkosh. Dark tent, fancy lighting, booth babes in slinky outfits, big screen Projector on back wall with HD video of the test aircraft.

They were the only manufacturer trying to make aviation look cool, really. Cessna had a 206 with cop car lights on the top painted "Enforcer". I guess they want the "Speed Checked By Aircraft" three airplane sales this year. If that many. Haha.

They all need to figure out how to get something with the performance of a Skylane down to $250K. Even that's excessive. The gap between the old aircraft and new price-wise, is too great considering they all have roughly the same problems and maintenance costs if cared for.

The diesel thing obviously opens up the international market for Cessna and the 182. Smart. But not helping here.

We as a society are too risk-averse to see much change. It'll have to get a whole lot worse before we start taking risks again. People need to get to the point where they feel they have nothing to lose taking the risk.

A new, cool plane is way more expensive than a Ferrari. How many Ferrari commercials do you see? Cirrus has some great videos on their website and does print advertising. TV is too expensive.

Even the small advertising that Cirrus does draws flak. You have to say "Flying is very hard and you probably aren't good enough. You can't plan trips or you will be a bad pilot. You need to fly a 40 year old plane so other pilots won't make fun of you. Still, please buy our product." Otherwise, the red board will light up with posts about how irresponsible the company is.

If you want to add people to aviation start with the flight schools. It used to be there were elope hanging around, catching a ride, hangar flying etc. it was an atmosphere of excitement with people who lived flying. Today it is a cold business with run down planes and instructors more interested in getting hours for thei career than the excitement of flying. As a data point, today few pilots get over 200 hours. Most quit. Once you get your license then what? I was fortune to find a flying club with seasoned pilots who helped me get into trips via GA.

The smaller the aviation community gets the more expensive everything will become.

We need growth to reverse it all.

The smaller the aviation community gets the more expensive everything will become.

Think so?? I think that as the buyers dwindle in numbers the infrastructure has to contract. Before that there will be some cutthroat pricing in an attempt to grab market share and be one of the survivors. :dunno:

Back