So who would have big enough cajonés to try this??

Pretty cool video, but I don't think it's a Superstol. It may be a Highlander, but the Superstol has the gear mounted in the center with shocks on the sides.

Pretty cool video, but I don't think it's a Superstol. It may be a Highlander, but the Superstol has the gear mounted in the center with shocks on the sides.

Good catch...just saw the superstol for the first time at Sun N fun! Unreal airplane!!!

Not me.

But if I were to try it I'd certainly have the engine running at idle just in case. Seems rather stupid to me, but I'm a newer pilot and maybe missing something?

Don't get me wrong, dead sticks are fun to practice but a roll down a mountain with no engine to glide to an open area for an actual landing? Not my cup of tea.

I try very hard to fly in such a way that no one onboard the aircraft needs "cajones." I save that stuff for being on the ground and out of the plane.

In an airplane like that, with knowledge like that pilot posesses I dont see a problem. Those planes can take of and land with less than 30mph ground roll and i've watched youtube videos where they can take off in 15ft if there is a howling headwind.

Its not that big of a stunt when you think about it, he's practiced that hundreds of times im sure. The first time for him was probably a kinda scary feeling but I refer back to the performance of that plane.

I'd do it :)

I like it.

I wonder how the pilot prepared for this. A topographical chart? What else?

That video has been around awhile. It's a Kitfox or Avid Flyer, I think. I bet he had the ignition and master on, ready to bump the starter if he needed it.

Dan

He could always start the engine if it looked like he would not make the landing zone. I'd call it fairly high risk, but not crazy.

A buddy of mine just finished a SuperSTOL, I'm curious to see it when he is done flying off the hours.

It would of been bad if his wheel caught that big rock he was showing at the end of the video. Wonder if he knew it was there when he took off?

It would of been bad if his wheel caught that big rock he was showing at the end of the video. Wonder if he knew it was there when he took off?

You don't perform this stunt with partial information about your surroundings. This wasn't luck. He knew everything about this event including the rock at the bottom.

I'd bet a cold 6 pack on that.

You don't perform this stunt with partial information about your surroundings. This wasn't luck. He knew everything about this event including the rock at the bottom.

That's what I'm thinking.

I'd have no problem doing it not that I ever would. Serves no purpose in my world.

Having scoped everything out, doing it with the engine idling would be pretty straight forward. The dead stick thing, early or late in the day to eliminate convection, would be pretty straight forward. Just serves no purpose and would earn a Darwin Award if something goes wrong.

Neat video though.

Had to have done a lot of planning. Looks like a fun ride.

And you would not video tape the first one. ;)

The most dangerous thing he did was roll the boulder down the hill. I hope no one was hiking, hunting or fishing down below.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he has another video of this with his wife as passenger .
Practice practice practice ....... Makes perfect !

He could always start the engine if it looked like he would not make the landing zone. I'd call it fairly high risk, but not crazy.

Not even all that much risk, I think. He didn't have to worry about engine failure on takeoff like the rest of us do.

Dan

Not even all that much risk, I think. He didn't have to worry about engine failure on takeoff like the rest of us do.

True, but at least you can abort a takeoff, up to some point, if there is a problem like an obstruction on the runway. Once he started his takeoff roll, he had no such option. He was committed. That adds some risk to takeoff that we don't have.

I know the guy and he is a very good pilot. He practiced that with engine running but at idle a couple of times. The first video he did he started the engine right after take off. He then added the glide to the sandbar. And it is a Just Highlander. Don

It's not really about having balls. It boils down to whether this is what you want to do, for no valid reason other than to post a YouTube video on the internet. Because it really doesn't serve any function beyond that. The closest thing I can relate it to is that old redneck joke:

Have you ever lost a relative who died right after saying "Hey Ya'll, watch this"

Back