So who is flying the farthest to get to OSH?

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
We're flying 1066 nautical miles each way, with a lunch stop in Ft. Smith, Arkansas, and an overnight stop in Iowa City, Iowa.

I can't beat you for distance, but I bet I'll get there faster and burning less fuel. ;-)

I'll be flying the RV-6 about 620 nautical miles from NW of Atlanta to Osh. That probably means a fuel stop somewhere like Aurora, IL on the way to the show. With no wind, I can get home nonstop in in <4 hours. On the way home, I go over the top of Chicago. Lots of jetliner traffic to watch down below...

I can't beat you for distance, but I bet I'll get there faster and burning less fuel. ;-)

I'll be flying the RV-6 about 620 nautical miles...

Gotta love these RVs :D

I'll only be flying 762 nm from Wichita Falls to KOSH. Probably will be around 5.5 hours and will burn less than 50 gallons of fuel.

By contrast, my old Cherokee 140 took at least 8 hours and burned about 75 gallons. And that was running it as hard as it could muster at X-C altitudes.

img5737g.jpg

Last edited:
1229 NM one way - CYBW - KGTF - KJMS - KSTE - KOSH in a DA40 over 2 days.

Marc

And that was running it as hard as it could muster at X-C altitudes.

Which, in a Cherokee IIRC, is somewhere around 6-8k. ;) I rarely cruise < 10k' in the RV. When I did transition training at Jefferson City several years ago, the instructor made the comment that RV's are good for getting above 'Indian territory'. I gave him a puzzled look and he said "You know, down where all the Cherokees cruise." :D

My Cherokee cruises just fine in the lower teens, but I can't go for more than a half our over 12 without supplemental oxygen, which I don't have. I go at 10.5 and 11.5 all the time when cloud cover permits and winds make it advantageous. Went at 11.5 all the way to Florida.

My Cherokee cruises just fine in the lower teens, but I can't go for more than a half our over 12 without supplemental oxygen, which I don't have. I go at 10.5 and 11.5 all the time when cloud cover permits and winds make it advantageous. Went at 11.5 all the way to Florida.

Wow. How long did it take you to get up there?

I guess most of my PA28-180/181 time was loaded to the gills, so my performance experience may be a bit skewed to the negative side for those models.

Wow. How long did it take you to get up there?

I guess most of my PA28-180/181 time was loaded to the gills, so my performance experience may be a bit skewed to the negative side for those models.

Don't recall exactly. My guess is about 20 minutes.

We're flying 1066 nautical miles each way, with a lunch stop in Ft. Smith, Arkansas, and an overnight stop in Iowa City, Iowa.

KOAK - KOSH 1562 nm...

But we're getting there via Cadillac Michigan, hence 1833 nm

And coming home via Cleveland, the Thousand Islands, and Montreal... 2979 nm

Paul, turbo Cardinal RG

If we fly the L-2, it won't be the farthest distance but will seem like it.

Which, in a Cherokee IIRC, is somewhere around 6-8k. ;) I rarely cruise < 10k' in the RV. When I did transition training at Jefferson City several years ago, the instructor made the comment that RV's are good for getting above 'Indian territory'. I gave him a puzzled look and he said "You know, down where all the Cherokees cruise." :D

Interesting. I really LIKE flying at 6K - 8K'.

You're above the pancake breakfast and pattern crowd.

You're below the airlines.

The air is cool, and you don't need oxygen.

You can still see stuff.

Anything higher in the flatlands between Texas and OSH seems like a waste.

You can still see stuff.

I like to get up a bit higher than the 6-8k range to get out of the bumps and even cooler air. If you're in bumpy air at 11k, it's probably not thermal activity (at least in my geographical area). Plus, flying under the glass bubble canopy of the RV, the cooler the air coming in through the vents, the better.

Gentlemen,

I am flying all the way from the Middle East to Oshkosh !!!

Try to beat that distance...12 hours in some cramped airbus, then another 8 hours with the Archer...

:D

Yahbyut, you ain't flying, the pilots are. Now, were you the guy who flew his experimental canard all the way from Israel, you'd have some bragging points.

But I am looking forward to meeting you there, and you can stop by our campsite for lunch if you like. One of the things I like about camping on the airfield is you can get out of it all for an hour or two in the middle of the day, sort of break it up. For my tired old body, that works pretty well.

Yahbyut, you ain't flying, the pilots are. Now, were you the guy who flew his experimental canard all the way from Israel, you'd have some bragging points.

But I am looking forward to meeting you there, and you can stop by our campsite for lunch if you like. One of the things I like about camping on the airfield is you can get out of it all for an hour or two in the middle of the day, sort of break it up. For my tired old body, that works pretty well.

Tsss, tss...

Flying in "cattle class" is much more difficult than actually flying the airplane...everybody knows that :D

What will you cook for lunch ?

Tsss, tss...

Flying in "cattle class" is much more difficult than actually flying the airplane...everybody knows that :D

What will you cook for lunch ?

Probably some sandwiches. I can't bring much food from my house, because the airplane can't take too much weight. But I will try and bring something yummy. I will only have a tiny camp stove, so my cooking abilities will be a bit limited. I'll do the best I can. The main thing is the relaxation, says me.

If you guys do not fly into OSH, you will have to permanently relinquish your man cards; seriously, I have friends who are USMS who will come take them from you.

You can still see stuff.
I agree with you Jay. 750 from KBXG to KOSH for me.

overnight stop in Iowa City, Iowa.
I'm only flying 475 miles. Used to stop at Iowa City...in the past it was a favorite stop for me. After my experience there last year, I won't be stopping there again. Very poor service at the FBO. Overpriced room with a broken air conditioner.

I'm only flying 475 miles. Used to stop at Iowa City...in the past it was a favorite stop for me. After my experience there last year, I won't be stopping there again. Very poor service at the FBO. Overpriced room with a broken air conditioner.

Well, we know who the innkeeper WASN'T! :D

You need to visit Port-A!

You think "Oshkosh Airventure 2012: Carbon Footprint Edition" will be a good headline for PR purposes?

Just thinking about feeding the trolls at USA Today, and thought they might need a new aviation story headline.

;)

1420nm direct, 1442nm via my planned route IFR through the mountains. KPAE->KOSH

Gotta love these RVs :D

I'll only be flying 762 nm from Wichita Falls to KOSH. Probably will be around 5.5 hours and will burn less than 50 gallons of fuel.

By contrast, my old Cherokee 140 took at least 8 hours and burned about 75 gallons. And that was running it as hard as it could muster at X-C altitudes.

img5737g.jpg

But in my cherokee (about the same distance but a bit faster) I'll have two more people to share the fuel costs and lots more luggage space and weight.

You can still see stuff.

I regularly cruise in the teens and have O2. But then, I start at 5500 MSL.

GOO (Grass Valley) to LXT (Lee's Summit, MO) 1279 nmi

A week to fix up her tool shed.

LXT to OSH 400 nmi.

Total 1679 nmi.

Jim

I stay away so that every one else can have a good time. Every time I'v been there, bad weather, 100 degree heat, crashes, and for some reason all the people I see walking around all look like they just eat an onion. The last time I was there I was walking along the road 2 young guys called me a an a33hole and that was just 50 feet from a police officer. I asked him if he heard that and he had and he said there's nothing he can do.

I know what you're thinkin, it must be me. Could be!

I'll be traveling about 1 hour 38 minutes, over 76 miles, and burning about 4 gallons of 87 octane.

Oh, you said "flying." :(

Yep, it's not the same.

Did you stay at our old place, Diana?

The new owners have gone all extended-stay, and are running the place like an apartment complex. Probably the smart way to go, economically -- but not my cup of tea.

I stay away so that every one else can have a good time. Every time I'v been there, bad weather, 100 degree heat, crashes, and for some reason all the people I see walking around all look like they just eat an onion. The last time I was there I was walking along the road 2 young guys called me a an a33hole and that was just 50 feet from a police officer. I asked him if he heard that and he had and he said there's nothing he can do.

I know what you're thinkin, it must be me. Could be!

Two young guys just randomly shouted names at you?

Back