So who did a Soft / Short field take off this weekend?

brian]

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
brian]
Ok, I have to admit that part of the reasons I like flying is that I'm not the "go to" guy. (The rest of the week, there is a line into my office anytime something breaks - nice to not have that stress on the weekend.)

But I did notice a number of people doing some nice soft field takeoff techniques. Maybe I'm just getting a little too familiar with Gastons, but that is one really long, firm and relatively smooth field. Even the terrain should be an easy climb if you stay between Vx and Vy (I like Vx - but I'm a chicken).

(Disclaimer - add tall / wet grass or mud and then I'm all about getting into ground effect to accelerate.)

So - who did short field take offs?

I did one off the paved strip just north of Gastons just for the irony :)

Hey - I got a pic of that one :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 7.47.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 7.47.16 AM.png
    225 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Pretty much every takeoff and landing I do qualifies as short field. I don't think about it much, it's just SOP. Yesterday I kinda botched my landing at the cabin in swirling winds. 180* wind shift on short final. Landing downwind pushed me long on the 1000' narrow strip but I still didn't need the second half. With average loads if I'm not flying in 400' it's because I'm trying not to, like holding it on the ground to build speed to handle a crosswind. Yesterday it took less than 400.

This time of year the rivers drop as the temps cool. Sand bars are everywhere. The next time I fly will be to play on the sand. On soft sand you can't use brakes so landing slow is important. Fun stuff.

I did a soft field landing on the couch yesterday. That count? :)

I did a short and soft field takeoff and landing in the 310. For the 310, 3200 isn't super short, but it is a bit tight. Also I am extra cautious about gear on it, as that is a weak point of the Twin Cessna lineup.

I did one when I flew to Rome for breakfast. I wanted to get out of the dirt. A picture of the main Rome runway. I did this one on Sat. morning. Does that count?

Attachments

• IMG_4158 (1024x683).jpg
    IMG_4158 (1024x683).jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 35
I did soft field takeoffs when I departed Gaston's. And those were my first grass takeoffs and landings. And I'm happy to say, were two of my best soft field landings ever!

I did soft field takeoffs when I departed Gaston's. And those were my first grass takeoffs and landings. And I'm happy to say, were two of my best soft field landings ever!

I was on board for one of them and you did awesome!

Now I see you trying to to log a landing on every patch of grass around DFW that will permit you taking off from it.

Soft (squishy new surface) and high (8,000 ft) but not short...

I did, in the TR182, just to be nice to the nosegear. 10 degrees of flaps (up to 20 is allowed) and keep the weight off the nosewheel.

I always do short field take offs, even off the 10k runway next door.

I learned out of a short(er) field (2400') and my CFI was pretty adamant about treating all take offs as short field during my training since I needed the skill at my home field

Since then, I have never found a reason to use more runway than I have too.

Which served me Well the day I lost the engine on takeoff. Barely had enough runway left and came to a stop with only 50' remaining.

I hate to think what the result would have been had I done a rolling start with zero flaps

Last edited:
Back