So while I was doing the wingtips

iflyvfr

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
This is my first long post here, and I thought I would share my recent journey to install strobes on my wingtips, mostly because I'm so happy it's finally complete. Over a year ago I decided to do this because I enjoy tweaking my bird. After careful research and consultation with Whelen, I bought plain A625 strobes, no navs. Wired the wings and mounted the power pack.

The fun began when I discovered they would not go on my tips without extensive fabrication and AMU's despite all the assurances that they were designed for my tips. Fast forward thru a year of frustration, I decide at annual I'm going to get it done.

Whelen agrees to swap out my strobes for a nav/strobe combo set, (A650s). Then I order a set of Metco Air tips that I know from previous experience will work. It took two sets, but I got a pair that fit well.

Tips are now on and strobes are working great, but I have to find someone to paint my new wingtips. I talk with a guy who repairs bent Bo's at the airport where I hang out, and after he ribs me about my god-awful paint job, he makes a parting comment: "you know, that tail is missing something." A week goes by and my pilot buddy says "he was right, your tail needs something."

So, knowing I'm going to have my tips done while I'm in Florida vacationing, I try a few simple designs with MS-Paint. I thought I would share the before and after pics because after nearly 18 months it's finally complete.

I started with a blank slate on the vertical surface and worked my way through several iterations, none of which looked right:

Attachments

• PlainTail.jpg
    PlainTail.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 155
  • FancyTail3.jpg
    FancyTail3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 124
  • fancyTail4sm.jpg
    fancyTail4sm.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 140
  • fancyTail2.jpg
    fancyTail2.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 127
Now I know the paint is controversial; some will hate it and some won't. That's OK, it's what I ended up with and despite calling the paint shop for information, I have no idea why the guy who painted it this scheme did so. Maybe he was a frustrated acrobatics pilot?

Well, after many trials, stops and starts, I finally came up with a paint scheme for the tail that I thought would work. Something suitably subtle.

Although not original, here's the finished design. BTW, its vinyl, something new to me. Between that color, my LED landing lights, the tail & the new strobes, hopefully you'll see me coming! :)

newtail.jpg

I like it.

I thought it was a super decathlon before I clicked on the pictures.

But you know, that belly is missing something ... :lol:

I like it.

I thought it was a super decathlon before I clicked on the pictures.

But you know, that belly is missing something ... :lol:

Oh no! Well it's gonna have to stay that way. And yes, Decathlon is always the one with the starburst, right?

I actually called the paint shop in Texas to ask if they knew who (or why) they would paint a 172 in this scheme. I've often thought I'd repaint it completely in something more conventional, but the paint is in too good a shape.

Man eman, I proofread my post before clicking submit, but I completely missed that! :lol:

lol, I'm just being the immature d-bag that I'm so good at being. thanks for taking it lightly lol.

Oh no! Well it's gonna have to stay that way. And yes

Well it still looks good, and there is nothing wrong with looking like a Decathlon.

Decathlon is always the one with the starburst, right?

Pretty much. Occasionally you'll find a Pitts with that paint scheme too.

Well it still looks good, and there is nothing wrong with looking like a Decathlon.

My wife, who is as interested in aviation as I am in shopping for shoes, loves the paint scheme and gets offended if someone slams it. But I understand its a 172 and not everyone can tolerate the design.

I was very hesitant to post pics, because I'm a newbie and its a controversial paint scheme. But ultimately she's mine; I've enjoyed some amazing adventures flying her, and I'm just thrilled I can do this, even 13 years after getting my PPL.

Sure, I'd love to fly something faster and sexier but that's not in the cards for me. I'm thankful I have the privilege of being a pilot and am able to own an airplane.

Personally, I think it's cool. It's nice to see a little originality out there on the ramp.

Sure, I'd love to fly something faster and sexier but that's not in the cards for me. I'm thankful I have the privilege of being a pilot and am able to own an airplane.
I share the same sentiment! No matter what you fly, there's always something better. My 172 O-320 is mine, she fits my budget and needs and I'm happy to have her. Heck, she flew me from NY to the Pacific coast last year and this year there've been more exciting adventures—I'm just honored and thrilled to be flying...anything! :D

BTW, I think your bird is beautiful. I like the paint scheme... I like it on the aerobatic birds and see no reason why it shouldn't adorn a 172. Thanks for posting, nice to see some interesting 172s.

I have vinyl stripes on my aircraft and hate them. If a painted stripe gets chipped or damaged it can be repainted. Vinyl stripes not so much.

I have vinyl stripes on my aircraft and hate them. If a painted stripe gets chipped or damaged it can be repainted. Vinyl stripes not so much.
Interesting. In the RV world, more and more guys are doing whole - plane wraps.

We put the hotel logo on our RV, in vinyl, and it's proven to be durable.

The nice part is that if it gets damaged it's pretty cheap to replace.

Thanks for the kind words! I am aware that others are using vinyl and am curious to see how well it stands up.

I was pleased to discover that the guy who did the job also completely repainted my prop and put new labels on them, and washed my plane stem to stern at no extra charge.

Take off the old stripes with a hair dryer and apply new ones. ;)

A lot of new aircraft use vinyl including jets.

I like the paint job.

Ditto on the Decathlon comment.

Back