So... Where Do YOU Want To Go On VACATION????

Already been twice to Colorado in the last few months (short vacations of three days and one week), got another week coming in June in Vegas... then where? Not sure, but I have the summer off to figure it out.

I'd like to fly to Sedona and New Mexico for fun. I'm learning Russian right now so a trip to Eastern Europe would be fun.

Vegas in June, then 4 weeks in SE Asia at the end of the year. Couple of PNW motorcycle trips in between.

Yellowstone and Glacier National National Parks this August - with our new to us 172G. :D

Heading to the Cape Cod area (Brewster) in July. Still deciding on whether to fly (4 1/2hrs) vs an 11 hr drive. I know what I want to do, but the Mrs. hasn't made up her mind yet.

Any recommendation with regards to either Hyannis (KHYA) or Chatham (KCQX)?

Flying to Pensacola in July. Twice as far as I've ever flown. Looking forward to it.

Flying from Texas, any pointers you guys can offer would be nice.

I do that trip (Austin to Tallahassee area) about 4-5 times a year in my Cardinal.

It is an easy, fun trip.

File IFR, or get Flight Following. There is quite a bit of military operations going on in the area, and talking to someone is a bigger than normal help.

Heading east check the winds up high. I usually fly at 9,000 - 13,000 on the way over. I've done as much as 200kts ground speed in the Cardinal with a smoking tail wind. Well worth the effort to get up high.

KHDC. Hammond is a nice airport. Maybe a little short for you to stop at, but they have a crew car, friendly folks and some good cajun places to eat in town. One warning, they did just put up a tower and it wasn't on the charts as of a few weeks ago (believe it is in the Notams).

Be careful going into Pensacola. A LOT of military (and commercial) traffic in the area, but they have always been really great to work with.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dan

Just got back from California, Lake Tahoe, Monterey, and San Francisco. Got on my snowboard for the first time in 16 years in Tahoe, and had a view of SFO from our hotel in San Francisco, Saw an A-380, and a bunch of 747s and A-340s, aircraft I don't see much of around here.

Back