So where do you guys service your plane?

Adamoh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Adamoh
Just wondering where you guys service your planes. Has someone ever did a crap job on your airplane? My dad is an A&P and he once told me that his friend took his beautiful g36 to a maintenance shop in lgb and they messed his plane up putting the wrong types of screws all over the place.

Bill at KEOE is the only one I want working on my plane. He knows his stuff and his price is fair. Perfect combination.

I do all my own work. The main reason I fly experimentals. :yes:

RV-81.jpg

Last edited:
Sport pilot recently had an article saying that in a survey, planes were taken apart and not t put back together correctly in many instances. ( parts left over, etc.) Not encouraging considering what some charge.

I have a shop in fla. At LAL, Lakeland,and a shop in ma. 1b9. Both understand my aircraft,a liberty..both shops know all the little idiosyncrasies of the liberty.

We have gone through 3 mechanics
One was affordable and did good work but so overbooked that it was hard to get work in the queue. We still use him a bit.

Then we switched to the big corporation at out field that charges prices that are insane and they have to do everything 3 times. They cause more issues than they fix.

Finally via word of mouth, we found someone that specializes in working on our type Aircraft. We gave him the plane a few days back and it was just a great experience and the price was half what I expected. He came with great references.

Word of mouth seems to be a key factor with A&Ps

In my hangar with a known and trusted A&P and all my manuals.

Or at his shop if needed.

ZERO work is done without, ether me doing it, or me supervising it.

I've had a few bad experiences, they typically occur at bigger shops and "jet centers".

When you step up in complexity, it becomes a lot more important to have maintenance that has experience with the type. If you service an Aerostar with someone who hasn't done it before, you're maintenance bill will go through the roof, even tho he might be the cheapest A&P per hour in the world. You need experts and people who have done it before - it will save you money. Can't stress this enough.

Thankfully, my mechanics had a lot of experience in that type when I bought mine.

My hangar is within 300 feet of my mechanic's hangar. He's not the cheapest, but he's pretty well-respected and I can't beat the convenience. He also trusts me enough to let me borrow tools for oil changes and lets me dump used oil in his tank. I'm happy with the arrangement.

Back