So what's the go-to headset these days?

I'm soured on Lightspeed. I bought the 1st Zulu, put them on, grabbed the mic boom to pivot it down, and it snapped right off in my hand. Brand new, bought from Lightspeed, and they wanted me to send it in for repair when I thought they should just exchange it for new. Nope, I waited weeks to get that set back, and it's the last dime I'll ever spend on Lightspeed.

I'm soured on Lightspeed. I bought the 1st Zulu, put them on, grabbed the mic boom to pivot it down, and it snapped right off in my hand. Brand new, bought from Lightspeed, and they wanted me to send it in for repair when I thought they should just exchange it for new. Nope, I waited weeks to get that set back, and it's the last dime I'll ever spend on Lightspeed.

wow. crazy opposite from every experience I've had with them. they're well known for their customer service so I'm really surprised to hear this.

I just sent my Zulu3 in for a mic replacement. It came back with a new mic, new head pads, and new ear seals.
They didn't charge me anything.

I think when it comes to light speed vs Bose, it may be depend on what you started with. I purchased Zulu 1's for the BT feature and have owned 2's 3's and PFX's. I like them all. For long flights I always use the Zulu's, I do think they are a little more comfortable, we think nothing of flying 6-8 hours in a day and never have a problem.

All the talk of the Halo and Clarity has me wondering if I should check them out. I always assumed they would not block as much noise as a full cup model and still expect that is the case, however about 50% or more of my flying is in the 421, which is probably one of the quietest planes ever made and I am guessing the the Clarity's or Halos would be perfect in that application, most of the rest is in the 310 and occasionally in a Cessna 400. I would love any feedback from the twin drivers how they like them and if they prefer one type in a piston single vs piston twin?

I've owned Lightspeed 20xlc, Zulu 1, Zulu 2, Clarity Aloft, Bose X, and Bose A20, and basically all of my time with all of those headsets has been in twins. My wife has a DC One-X that she uses in the Challenger and used to use in the MU-2.

In a 421 where you've got the quiet geared engines and supremely quiet interior in general, but maybe a hot interior on the ground depending on how well your air conditioning works, I would go with the Clarity Aloft or some sort of similar. Absolutely the most comfortable on the whole. Lightest weight. I also find that it has the worst noise canceling as the seal with my ears loosens up.

As far as noise cancelation in a twin, the Bose A20 was by far the best in my opinion. In the MU-2 (LOUD) it did a great job of noise cancelation. I also noticed that it did a great job in my friend's Cheyenne whereas most ANR headsets didn't seem to handle those low frequencies very well. Both the MU-2 and the Cheyenne have prop frequencies similar to a 241 (3 bladed props, and similarly low RPMs). So if you really want to protect your hearing as much as possible, A20 would be my vote. But if it were my 421, I'd do the Clarity Aloft.

My wife doesn't like the A20, she didn't find it comfortable for her. She got the One-X which I suppose is lighter weight than the A20. I've worn it for a bit in the MU-2 and I like it, but not as much as the A20.

wow. crazy opposite from every experience I've had with them. they're well known for their customer service so I'm really surprised to hear this.

I just sent my Zulu3 in for a mic replacement. It came back with a new mic, new head pads, and new ear seals.
They didn't charge me anything.

Glad you guys had good experience, I was so pizzed I'll never spend another dime on Lightspeed.

In the past year I have flown my experimental with Zulu 3s, DC One X and Clarity Aloft as I have tried to find the best headset for me. I'm not really excited about any of them. Maybe I'm just expecting more than the technology is capable of... One X's may be lighter but the clamping force is still annoying to me.

I should note I have a number of "issues" which makes me more sensitive to certain things. And I'm old!

Would really like to try the A20's but I've spent too much money already on this hunt for the perfect headset for me and my plane.

I should add I do like some of the benefits of the Clarity Aloft. However the best ear plugs are the small foam ones for me. I have a problem getting these into one of my ears. Also, recently flew a month long trip and forgot the replacement ear plugs. These foam ear plugs become less sticky with use and need to be replaced. Half way thru my trip the one ear plug would not go in my problem ear. Since I was flying daily, there was no way to order and receive replacements. I tried jury-rigging something and that didn't work either. Ended up buying a set of One X's at KNEW (New Orleans) and flew with them for the next 30 hours of my trip.

I am convinced there is no perfect headset. Just buy one and learn to live with it...

Would really like to try the A20's but I've spent too much money already on this hunt for the perfect headset for me and my plane.

I don't know if covid put the stops to this, but there are often money-back guarantees for headsets, to cover the case of you not liking them and then being out $1300

I think Marv Golden still does the 60 day trial thing. Don't know if Spruce will still take back headsets. Worth a few phonecalls. I like my A20s, my wife likes her One-Xs. Sounds like a mars/venus thing since Ted's got the same setup :D

I have several Quiet Technologies Halo headsets. They are very light, and do not require batteries. I think the noise attenuation is as good as the other ANRs I've tried.

I look at the mike hook on the throttle quadrant and marvel at the days of handheld mics and speakers. Sometime I hear the cockpit noise as I reposition the earplugs. I wouldn't last 5 minutes trying to follow ATC like that.

Ditto with eman. I bought a used set of Lightspeeds long ago. Somehow I broke a piece on it. They sent me two new pieces for free. I even told them I bought them used and asked how much the replacement pieces would cost.

Wayne

I don't know if covid put the stops to this, but there are often money-back guarantees for headsets, to cover the case of you not liking them and then being out $1300

I think Marv Golden still does the 60 day trial thing. Don't know if Spruce will still take back headsets. Worth a few phonecalls. I like my A20s, my wife likes her One-Xs. Sounds like a mars/venus thing since Ted's got the same setup :D

Unfortunately I bought mine from the FBO in New Orleans. Pretty sure their not going to refund me. I had no room in the plane for the box, so I had to throw it away.

I used a QC35 converted to airplane use by UFlymike when I flew a 737. I now fly a PC-12, with an occasional 172 and Cherokee, and now use the DC-One X

there was constant banter about headsets

There still is. Tale as old as time.....

I'll throw my .02 in - I loved the first pair of LS Zulus I purchased so much, I picked up another set. Got the second from PigPenRacing... check out the classified section of the forum for posts about headsets for sale. His Zulus were in perfect condition.... love em.

Disclaimer - Not a Bose or DC hater.... just sharing personal experience with the LS Zulus.

Back