So what should I buy?

Why should I chose a certified over an experimental?

For me it's price point. I put the Bo/Comanche on the same level as the RV-10 for speed/load/etc.

I can find Comanches and Bos in good shape under $70k all day every day. I don't think I've ever seen an RV-10 for under $170k (but I haven't been looking recently either.) $100k is a lot of maintenance money to spend before I have $170k into it. Hell, I can buy a very nice Bo AND a very nice Comanche, and still have $30k in maintenance reserve. But if you got $200k burning a hole in your pocket, go for it. I don't.

that has nothing to do with experimental vs factory, it's simply new vs old

I think like Ed. Get either the Bo or the Comanche for under $100k, then buy a Lake amphib for $60k for fun.

For me it's price point. I put the Bo/Comanche on the same level as the RV-10 for speed/load/etc.

I can find Comanches and Bos in good shape under $70k all day every day. I don't think I've ever seen an RV-10 for under $170k (but I haven't been looking recently either.) $100k is a lot of maintenance money to spend before I have $170k into it. Hell, I can buy a very nice Bo AND a very nice Comanche, and still have $30k in maintenance reserve. But if you got $200k burning a hole in your pocket, go for it. I don't.

For $200,000 that RV 10 has state of the art glass cockpit and avionics that would cost well over 70,000 in a certified airplane, has 200hrs TT on it and has a better useful load than the Comanche or Bonanza. I just looked at the performance specks on the new Bonanza in the AOPA mag this month. Full fuel useful load is 566lb, T/O roll is 1900ft, High cruise is 176kts/16gph economy is 160kts/12gph. RV10 full fuel useful load 740lb, T/O full gross 500ft, high cruise 175kts/14gph, economy 165kts/11gph.
I have flown all of the airplanes under discussion and I liked the Comanche better than the Bonanza especially the 260C. I liked the F33 better than the V35 or A36 as far as flying quality. The Viking is the nicest flying of the bunch but the cockpit is somewhat cramped. I have flown two RV10s and they are light yet solid on the controls with a spacious cockpit. Four 6 footers fit just fine. Just some real world observations. Don

For $200,000 that RV 10 has state of the art glass cockpit and avionics that would cost well over 70,000 in a certified airplane, has 200hrs TT on it and has a better useful load than the Comanche or Bonanza. I just looked at the performance specks on the new Bonanza in the AOPA mag this month. Full fuel useful load is 566lb, T/O roll is 1900ft, High cruise is 176kts/16gph economy is 160kts/12gph. RV10 full fuel useful load 740lb, T/O full gross 500ft, high cruise 175kts/14gph, economy 165kts/11gph.
I have flown all of the airplanes under discussion and I liked the Comanche better than the Bonanza especially the 260C. I liked the F33 better than the V35 or A36 as far as flying quality. The Viking is the nicest flying of the bunch but the cockpit is somewhat cramped. I have flown two RV10s and they are light yet solid on the controls with a spacious cockpit. Four 6 footers fit just fine. Just some real world observations. Don

I don't have $200,000 in the bank, so it's a non-starter. Now if you want to give me the extra $130k to make it up, I will send you my routing information. FYI my Comanche has more useful load even with full fuel than the RV-10.

S35: Beechcraft Performance Data

Horsepower: 285 Gross Weight: 3300 lbs
Top Speed: 184 kts Empty Weight: 1915 lbs
Cruise Speed: 178 kts Fuel Capacity: 50 gal
Stall Speed (dirty): 54 kts Range: 543 nm

Takeoff Landing
Ground Roll: 880 ft Ground Roll 625 ft
Over 50 ft obstacle: 1225 ft Over 50 ft obstacle: 1150 ft

Rate Of Climb: 1200 fpm
Ceiling: 18300 ft
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beechcraft V 35 A & B-TC Turbo Bonanza - Performance Data

Horsepower: 285 Gross Weight: 3400 lbs
Top Speed: 217 kts Empty Weight: 2027 lbs
Cruise Speed: 200 kts Fuel Capacity: 50 gal
Stall Speed (dirty): 55 kts Range: 600 nm

Takeoff Landing
Ground Roll: 950 ft Ground Roll 647 ft
Over 50 ft obstacle: 1320 ft Over 50 ft obstacle: 1177 ft

Rate Of Climb: 1225 fpm
Ceiling: 29500 ft

Not too shabby for $100-140k. OBTW, add tip tanks and the gross weight goes UP 200lbs, speed stays the same, and the T/O and landing info doesn't change. The only limit is the MGLW which should be no problem as the Bo has about the strongest gear anywhere. If you exceed MGLW, you have to have the gear and the spar inspected, then on your merry way.

There's a good reason we pick up our wheels and close the doors. Oh, did I mention - it's got a type cert from FAA too.

I don't have $200,000 in the bank, so it's a non-starter. Now if you want to give me the extra $130k to make it up, I will send you my routing information. FYI my Comanche has more useful load even with full fuel than the RV-10.

Read the OPs first post. He has $200,000 to spend, has a RV7 and likes to tinker on his own airplane. The RV10 fits his parameters the best. Having said that I really like Comanches. I flew a 250 a couple hundred hours and the 260C probably 100. Again I have flown several models and years of Bonanzas, Mooneys, Viking and even an old Cruiseair and I like the Comanche the best of all of those. Don

Perhaps you didn't read post 81 closely enough.

I don't have $200K burning a hole in my pocket. This would be a stretch for me. But I do believe in buying what you want the first time. If I have this plane for 10 or 15 years, what makes more sense? I think that is why I lean toward the more modern planes and the experimental's.

My RV-6a's cabin width is 43 inches. This is tight but okay for a 2 seater. Prefer 48 inches for a family cruiser.

So far I really think it is the -10 or a C182. Comanche may be a contender, but I need to go fly in one.

I don't have $200K burning a hole in my pocket. This would be a stretch for me. But I do believe in buying what you want the first time. If I have this plane for 10 or 15 years, what makes more sense? I think that is why I lean toward the more modern planes and the experimental's.

My RV-6a's cabin width is 43 inches. This is tight but okay for a 2 seater. Prefer 48 inches for a family cruiser.

So far I really think it is the -10 or a C182. Comanche may be a contender, but I need to go fly in one.

Where are you at? Lets get you in a Bonanza.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: yes. I was 50/50 on comanche vs Bo. Horns, bungees, gear AD, orphaned by the factory, some parts can't legally be rebuilt until some outfit gets approved by the FAA... The most expensive part I've bought for my Bo was a battery, 2nd place is a $30 bushing. I spent more on airframe and engine on my Cherokee 150.

http://webpages.charter.net/edfred/comanche/
And I will even do your transition/endorsement training as part of the package.

Of course Bart keeps trying to sabotage me selling it for some reason.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: yes. I was 50/50 on comanche vs Bo. Horns, bungees, gear AD, orphaned by the factory, some parts can't legally be rebuilt until some outfit gets approved by the FAA... The most expensive part I've bought for my Bo was a battery, 2nd place is a $30 bushing. I spent more on airframe and engine on my Cherokee 150.

Bungees? That's a deal killer? Really? $100 every 3 years. You should probably own one before you throw out bad information on how much of a maintenance hog they are.

You should probably own one before you throw out bad information on how much of a maintenance hog they are.

And ruin the fun? Much more "informational" to throw out bogus and incorrect information (OWT's?) than it is to state the facts.

Personally my favorites start with "I read on the internet....." :rofl::rofl::rofl:

http://webpages.charter.net/edfred/comanche/
And I will even do your transition/endorsement training as part of the package.

Of course Bart keeps trying to sabotage me selling it for some reason.

Sorry, the guy's looking for a $200,000.000 plane..... Didn't realize I was taking the bait off your hook. Just relaying the reasons I bought a Bonanza. in a thread titled "So what should I buy?"

If you buy Ed's Comanche, all your wildest dreams will come true.

Bungees? That's a deal killer? Really? $100 every 3 years. You should probably own one before you throw out bad information on how much of a maintenance hog they are.
Bungees are the cheapest insurance you can buy. You should be doing them every year.

you sound like a Bonanza owner :lol:
bunges for comanche are 18 bucks 2 hrs install, we do bunges every annual,
u talking out of you arse, :rofl:
i can find all new parts for my plane, i never have any issue getting parts, even new trunnions are being produced and australian tail horn will remove the ad
and my plane is a 1958 :hairraise:

Last edited:
Back