So what if they ain't show up?

Two kinds of People: those who Pull The Chute, and those who aviate, navigate, and communicate later. :popcorn:

When you try to be funny by bumping old threads and trying to make "witty" remarks, but really aren't.

Keep calling them. If they don't answer before running out of gas, make off airport landing. Sustain minor injury. Get emotionally traumatized. Find lawyer. Sue. Get money. Buy cool airplane

Check your radios. Com with other pilots and ask if they can connect. Get a radio check from them.

Ah, this thread again.

Surprised no one mentioned attempting to raise the tower on 121.5 in the event their primary radio wasn't functioning. ATC facilities should be monitoring guard. That said, I would do as someone else mentioned and have approach (or center, if applicable) attempt to reach the tower on landline.

By the way, 14 CFR 91.129(i) Takeoff, landing, taxi clearance states

No person may, at any airport with an operating control tower, operate an aircraft on a runway or taxiway, or take off or land an aircraft, unless an appropriate clearance is received from ATC.

If the control tower isn't "operating", regardless of whether it's class D or not, no landing clearance is required.

An operating control tower? I didn't know they made body armor that big.

A few weeks back I was comms out. I squawked 7600. From the direction I was approaching, I stayed about a half mile off the straight in approach until they started giving light signals and cleared me to land. This airport was Class E under a Class C shelf so entering the airspace wasn't an issue.

So while I made it down, I think I probably didn't approach correctly. Should I of flown around the airspace and entered a 45 to a normal pattern and waited for signals? Or is simply staying out of the way of traffic or the pattern until they acknowledge you enough?

I think this tower had radar coverage and saw me squawking 7600. But I'm curious what the procedure would be at towers without radar. Stay out of their airspace completely? Land somewhere else and call them and let them know you are coming?

This is one of those things I bet most pilots just don't think about until it happens after the initial studying.

A few weeks back I was comms out. I squawked 7600. From the direction I was approaching, I stayed about a half mile off the straight in approach until they started giving light signals and cleared me to land. This airport was Class E under a Class C shelf so entering the airspace wasn't an issue.

So while I made it down, I think I probably didn't approach correctly. Should I of flown around the airspace and entered a 45 to a normal pattern and waited for signals? Or is simply staying out of the way of traffic or the pattern until they acknowledge you enough?

I think this tower had radar coverage and saw me squawking 7600. But I'm curious what the procedure would be at towers without radar. Stay out of their airspace completely? Land somewhere else and call them and let them know you are coming?

This is one of those things I bet most pilots just don't think about until it happens after the initial studying.
What would I do in your hypothetical? Circle overhead, above TPA, as recommended by the AIM. Or call them lol.

Above TPA or above their airspace?

I wonder how far you can actually see a light signal. Gotta be several miles I would think. Let's say it's a Class D with no radar and a top of 4000 feet. I think Salisbury fits that description.

Back