So what happened here?

Pilot departed VFR into conditions less than VFR and flew into the mountain. Happens a lot and will continue to happen.

Last edited:
Pilot departed VFR into conditions less than VFR and flew into the mountain. Happens a lot and will continue to happen.

Yes, a 300' ceiling that was dropping. But there was no mountain. Flat as a pancake 2 miles west of Front Range airport, just south of KDEN.

The PIC was instrument rated, but no flight plan?? Cant rule out mechanical failure, but also cant argue that there was lack good ADM skills.

Very sad for both. :confused:

Waiting for tox report on the pilot. Could be stall spin from spatial d.

Well, suicide in that the pilot killed himself.

Not suicide in that the pilot probably didn't intentionally kill himself.

Happens all the time. :(

I agree! It does happen all the time! Low time instrument pilots lose it on a regular basis, often killing a plane full of people.

Did he have a G1000 with synthetic vision and a roll steering autopilot?

Did he have a G1000 with synthetic vision and a roll steering autopilot?
Unlikely, this was a Cessna 150.

Suicide by plane?
Yes, it was a 'suicide' by flagrant disregard of safety, by very poor decision making, by abrogation of piloting duties, but I don't think he intended to kill himself.

Last edited:
Effing moron.

If I ever end up in an NTSB brief for anything remotely as dumb as that someone please dig me up and slap the $&@: out of me.

Thanks

Yes, a 300' ceiling that was dropping. But there was no mountain. Flat as a pancake 2 miles west of Front Range airport, just south of KDEN.

My vote is for VMC into IMC, and spatial disorientation. Yeah, while it is high at KFTG (5,500 ft MSL) it is FLAT. No terrain until you get to the big rocks a bit west.

Back