So today was the day...

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
After 16-1/2 years I've sold the plane. She's going to a good home. It's a bittersweet day for me.

I fell in love with Commander singles when I first took my "demo" flight in the early '80's, and bought this one in 1999. Put a lot of hours in it and maintained it very well. It's a great IFR platform, very stable, and comfortable to fly. Not the fastest plane, but one of the most comfortable. When I purchased, I narrowed the field down to either the Commander or a TB-21.

A lot of great flights, but I can't recall any truly bad ones. A few lessons learned with experience, but nothing major. I remember being grounded after 9/11, and then IFR only in the days after. I remember being able to be lucky enough to snag a VFR opening to fly into DCA before the tragic events.

Maybe I'll own again someday. Maybe I'll use this as a chance to learn new skills and platforms like rotary or float. But that assumes I'll have the free time - that's ultimately why I sold: I can't fly enough right not to stay current and justify the cost. The 45+ minute ride each-way to the airport doesn't help.

N112LB cleared to the Cincinnati West airport, have a great flight!

After 16-1/2 years I've sold the plane. She's going to a good home. It's a bittersweet day for me.

I fell in love with Commander singles when I first took my "demo" flight in the early '80's, and bought this one in 1999. Put a lot of hours in it and maintained it very well. It's a great IFR platform, very stable, and comfortable to fly. Not the fastest plane, but one of the most comfortable. When I purchased, I narrowed the field down to either the Commander or a TB-21.

A lot of great flights, but I can't recall any truly bad ones. A few lessons learned with experience, but nothing major. I remember being grounded after 9/11, and then IFR only in the days after. I remember being able to be lucky enough to snag a VFR opening to fly into DCA before the tragic events.

Maybe I'll own again someday. Maybe I'll use this as a chance to learn new skills and platforms like rotary or float. But that assumes I'll have the free time - that's ultimately why I sold: I can't fly enough right not to stay current and justify the cost. The 45+ minute ride each-way to the airport doesn't help.

N112LB cleared to the Cincinnati West airport, have a great flight!

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:..

I hope I die before my plane gets sold....

Ahh, sounds very bittersweet. Sounds like a good decision on your part tho, currency considerations and all

Augh, that would be an awful experience. I hope I never need to face it.

Good luck with your new endeavors!

Awww bummer. Tailwinds, N112LB!

If you don't mind me asking, did your operating costs settle into a number you'd be willing to share?

So sad to read... Hope you will own again in the (near) future.

Commander 114/115 is still one of my favorite aircraft. They have a wide cabin and look fast sitting on the ground. I've thought about picking one as my first bird, but I really wouldn't be using it often enough to justify it right now.

Not the fastest, not the highest payload, not the most advanced, but it sure averages out as a great platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awww bummer. Tailwinds, N112LB!

If you don't mind me asking, did your operating costs settle into a number you'd be willing to share?
Given where I live, the fixed costs (hangar, insurance, mx, annual, database subscriptions, recurrent training - i did regular IPCs, etc) averaged out to little less than $1,000 per month. Hangar was the single largest portion of that.

When one door closes...

Exactly. I may try to find the time to do other stuff, like rotary or float. Or whatever.

Thanks, everyone! I'm working with some folks on a new venture. It's exciting, but I'm especially pleased that the plane is going to a good new home.

Good luck , always nice when you can pass on a plane to a new owner ,that will continue with keeping the airplane flying in great order.

Congrats Bill. I will reference the old saying about the two happiest days in an airplane owners life. I know about the bittersweet nature of saying goodbye to your mistress, felt the same walking away from the Free Bird.

I know how you feel, seeing your aircraft fly away knowing that it may be our last is rather dramatic.

So is your hangar available :D

Sorry to hear that. I am based at HEF as well and just as you, I barely have enough time to remain current. For me, membership in a well run partnership has been the ticket to have access to a capable plane yet keeping the fixed expenses under control. While I would love to have exclusive use of a plane, when it comes to write the check for the annual, I am glad there are a couple of us to split the joy.

So is your hangar available :D

:D Don't know whether there's a waiting list or not (I rent it through the FBO on the west side). Won't be empty until the first or so.

Sorry to hear that. I am based at HEF as well and just as you, I barely have enough time to remain current. For me, membership in a well run partnership has been the ticket to have access to a capable plane yet keeping the fixed expenses under control. While I would love to have exclusive use of a plane, when it comes to write the check for the annual, I am glad there are a couple of us to split the joy.

I hear that. Maybe a partnership in the future, maybe something entirely different. Right now, focus is on the new business.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

:D Don't know whether there's a waiting list or not (I rent it through the FBO on the west side). Won't be empty until the first or so.

We are renting on the east side. $350 for a sliding door hangar. The airport is making noise about stealing the hangar. Not sure thats a good thing.

Good luck with your new venture.

We are renting on the east side. $350 for a sliding door hangar. The airport is making noise about stealing the hangar. Not sure thats a good thing.

Yeah, heard the same thing about them tearing down the older blue hangars on the west side. Possibly replacing with new city hangars. Don't know what EAA will do. Also noise about making one of the FBOs (probably DAI west) go away. But they might put in self-serve fuel. All in all, I'd expect costs to go up.

Good luck with your new venture.

Thanks!

Given where I live, the fixed costs (hangar, insurance, mx, annual, database subscriptions, recurrent training - i did regular IPCs, etc) averaged out to little less than $1,000 per month. Hangar was the single largest portion of that.

Thank you - I appreciate that. That's a big help.

Sounds about right, we average $12k/yr before the prop turns.

Here's to a good plane. And may the next one be even better. :D

I'm so sorry Bill. I know the feeling.

That Cinci to Dayton corridor is a good one for airplanes. There's at least 8 great airports there including Dayton Wright Bros, and I67's brother I69 (Sportys) is right next door. I promise to keep an eye out for your bird.

I'm not an owner, but the last line of your post was INTENSE! Reminded me of the last Concorde flight out of JFK (listen to the ATC audio). Wish you the best!

That Cinci to Dayton corridor is a good one for airplanes. There's at least 8 great airports there including Dayton Wright Bros, and I67's brother I69 (Sportys) is right next door. I promise to keep an eye out for your bird.

Yep. Too bad the airport I trained at (KISZ) has closed.

Back