So tell me about Bend, OR

stagecoachco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tony B
Thinking about a move West. What do you all know about Bend. Real Estate looks to be reasonable. What about the GA scene?

We looked at moving there once. Schools are good, skiing is great, three hours to the Bay Area or Seattle by GA plane, some interesting aviation stuff going on at KRDM about 18 miles away.

Downsides are that it's a relatively active volcano area and the soil is 6 inches of dust on top of solid volcanic rock. Landscaping is a *****.

We really enjoy going to Bend. Mostly because there are lots of good motorcycling roads in the area and there is no sales tax in Oregon. :)

Nice airport, not too busy. City is about 3600 msl. Haven't been to the airport in a while, though. We would stop there occasionally for fuel.

Climate is typical high desert. Warm in the summer, snows in the winter. Can be windy. And yes, I imagine landscaping would be a ***** if you wanted a lush lawn and plants that required a lot of water and rich soil. But, there isn't a lack of lawns and such. You just have to work a little harder at it.

If you're into beer, Deschutes Brewery has got some yummy yummy stuff.

As far as the volcanos go, the only one in the area that has done anything in the past 20 years is Mt St Helens and that one is about 200 miles away.

Since they put in the Hwy 97 bypass, the traffic through the middle of town has gotten a whole lot better, but it still needs some work. Bend would be one of the places I would move to, if I were forced to leave the central WA paradise that I call home. :)

Home to Epic Aircraft. Lancair in Redmond. Former home of Columbia Aircraft before Cessna bought them and then closed down the Bend facilities.

Sunriver resort near there has a nice airport; I just flew into it a couple weeks ago.

Bend is known as a being something of a community to retire to.

Last edited:
Home of one of thr Rockies farm teams...

The have just finished a work over of there 16---- 34 runway. It is the only one they have. They think they need a tower but I don't think it is really that busy. They have SS fuel, and a nice FBO with a restaurant above It. I have been in there a lot lately and it is a nice airport.

Back