So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Just a quick update: I started a new job on the 9th, so weekday flying has been scratched for now. Of course the last 2 weekends here in Central FL have been nasty, and today is bad so another NO GO. This is very frustrating and I feel like setting me back a bit, I know I cant control the weather, but I need to figure something out. Working on getting in the plane after work between 6 and 7pm after work, my CFI is working on that now. Thanks all for the RANT!

Hang in there. The only time I can fly is during the week and it has to be after work which has its own problems. #1: My instructor is not real thrilled that he has to be at the airport until 1930 2 days a week. #2: I'm an estimator for a construction company so my days are beyond busy and by the time I get off work my brain is half way shot. I takes all I have to make the 30 minute drive to the airport to fly, but it gets done.

We all have our own barriers. Knock 'em down and keep on going.

Update! I flew my first dual cross country this past week (KFLV, K83, KSTJ, KFLV). The crosswinds and first time landing at a controlled field made it fun, exciting, and nerve wracking.

Yesterday my instructor hopped out and I... SOLO’D (!!!)! It didn’t really hit me until I pulled off the runway and parked. Then the adrenaline hit. So, I guess I’m on my way to being a real pilot. Picture of my first takeoff is attached.

Just a few hours away from being authorized to wear a sweet mustache!
83edbf10baa54b8475ac98a8c5abdba0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday my instructor hopped out and I... SOLO’D (!!!)! It didn’t really hit me until I pulled off the runway and parked. Then the adrenaline hit. So, I guess I’m on my way to being a real pilot. Picture of my first takeoff is attached.

Congrats!

Congratulations, pilot! Ain't that a great feeling?

Glad you wrote that the pic was a takeoff. At first glance I thought, "Wow, that's the highest landing flare I've ever seen." :)

As of last night I have all the minimum requirements for my PPL.
Wrapped up the solo requirement with a 1.8 x-country, followed by 1.2 hours under the hood.

CFI agrees I am Checkride ready after my ~44 hours in plane and ~60 hours with my home X-Plane simulator.
Now to schedule/ find a DPE...

P.S.: Will keep flying with my CFI, to get better and more accurate (which I need for Instrument rating and commercial anyhow)

Checkride scheduled for Monday...
My checkride is scheduled for Saturday 5 May. Initially scheduled for 24 March but after completing the Oral part I couldn't fly because of weather. Then scheduled for 21 April. That was also cancelled due to weather. Hopefully it will be good next Saturday.

After 6 hours or so of ground school I had my first flight today. Conditions were not perfect but good enough to fly out of KCCR for sure. I made it 22 minutes on the nose before I started puking. I have fought motion sickness my whole life and i knew this would be tough to get over. I pre warned my cfi but I am pretty sure he wasn’t excited although he was very understanding. I hope I can persevere through it because flying is something i have always dreamed of doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After 6 hours or so of ground school I had my first flight today. Conditions were not perfect but good enough to fly out of KCCR for sure. I made it 22 minutes on the nose before I started puking. I have fought motion sickness my whole life and i knew this would be tough to get over. I pre warned my cfi but I am pretty sure he wasn’t excited although he was very understanding. I hope I can persevere through it because flying is something i have always dreamed of doing.

Stick to it and get over it. Someone else had motion sickness and got over it and became Bon Hoover

I won’t become Bob Hoover but I am going back up tomorrow morning. And the day after. I got a lot of ziplock bags i can fill up!

I won’t become Bob Hoover but I am going back up tomorrow morning. And the day after. I got a lot of ziplock bags i can fill up!

The point is be persistent and seems like u are on a the right path

Hello All,

I finally got some hours this past week. Got back in the pattern with a different CFI on Wednesday evening after work, it was great to fly a little later with less traffic and low winds. Then yesterday did a flight from KISM to KGIF and got in some normal landings, missed approaches, power off 180's, and some pilotage. I am 100% ready to re solo, and thought it was going to happen yesterday when we got back to KISM, but we ran out of time. My instructor endorsed my log book and said next Saturday is the day, which is going to be awesome.....Below is a quick video from yesterdays flight, I will try to get more up later today.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First night flight last night (Sat). KRYY to KCHA to KDNN and back to KRYY, eye opening as I've spent a lot of time in Chattanooga and the geography is pretty distinctive. Couldn't find the airport until pretty darn close. Got vectored by Chatt ATC, then got a straight in. I think about 8 frequency changes on the way. I really liked flying at night, full moon and smooth air. On the other hand, darn hard to find airports, and I have some pretty good avionics. Lastly, turning on runway lights with your radio and seeing the airport appear is really cool. Need some more instrument time, but otherwise getting pretty close to solo XC and final prep for practical.

Got back in the plane after my barfing episode on lesson one. Things went much better. Tried a different diet, ginger tablet, and being super hydrated. Still fighting it a bit but no puking. It was a blast to fly! We did a 500ft pass over Travis afb to see the c5s. Also did my first landing! All in all I have some faith now that I can actually do this! Here is my first take off and landing video. Winds were calm so I am sure they will get much more challenging!

Got back in the plane after my barfing episode on lesson one. Things went much better. Tried a different diet, ginger tablet, and being super hydrated. Still fighting it a bit but no puking. It was a blast to fly! We did a 500ft pass over Travis afb to see the c5s. Also did my first landing! All in all I have some faith now that I can actually do this! Here is my first take off and landing video. Winds were calm so I am sure they will get much more challenging!

Hahahha loved your reaction after the landing. :)

I had a 4 minute lesson today. Took off on the smaller runway at KCCR and we both noticed at about 55 knots that the plane was not accelerating like it should have been. As we climbed slowly out fuel flow was fluctuating from 7-14 gallons per hour. Not good. My cfi took the controls and we went around and landed it. A day wasted but we are safe and that’s all that matters. We will be back at it Thursday!

Hi All,

Pre solo test is done, and I am ready to solo tomorrow. I am flying early, so the weather still looks good, cant wait!!!!

Nice! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Here is video 1, this is my first landing solo today. It's funny, I soloed in 1994, 1997, and now 2018, this was the most calm I have been, of course I am a little older than I was in 1994 so that helped. Sorry there is NO audio, the cable was hooked up to another go pro!

Hello Again,

I wanted to share this one. One my second landing I was asked to do a left 360 for arriving traffic, I executed the maneuver then got back in the pattern. Then was number 2 behind landing traffic, but was not feeling it at all so decided to go around, ENJOY!...

I think you want to land AFTER the touchdown spot of the heavy iron landing in front of you.

After 57 flight hours in preparation for today I received the Temporary Airman Certificate for Airplane Single Engine Land. A dream I've had since I was a kid and my dad would take us out to the local airport to watch planes come and go. When I retired a year and a half ago I decided I would pursue this. Even though there have been several frustrating things happen in the process and a lot of money spent. I am elated!!!

After 57 flight hours in preparation for today I received the Temporary Airman Certificate for Airplane Single Engine Land. A dream I've had since I was a kid and my dad would take us out to the local airport to watch planes come and go. When I retired a year and a half ago I decided I would pursue this. Even though there have been several frustrating things happen in the process and a lot of money spent. I am elated!!!
Congratulations!

Reactions: ACG
Congrats pilot! I'm hoping to join you next week!

Congratulations, Pilot! Well done, sir.

One more angle from todays solo.

Took off this afternoon as a 45.4 hour Student Pilot...landed 1.1 hours later a newly minted Private Pilot. It’s an awesome feeling!!!
Congrats! You made good time. Did you do part 61?

Back