So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Hey folks, first post on the forum. Been reading the posts here since just before I started taking lessons, but finally have something to post about. I soloed for the first time last Friday. Did two ugly landings and one decent one. I've got 15 hours towards my PPL and I'm excited to continue my training, although I'm a company commander in the US Army, so it can be hard to find time to get lessons in. Also, Winter is Coming for upstate NY, which will also make it difficult.

I am gonna guess Eric is your instructor. He is great. Like you said, winter is making it difficult to get lessons in- no sunrise until 730, and sunset at 1730, makes it difficult to get lessons in before or after work. I'm a Captain on the Division Staff.. I understand the time frustration there.

Congratulations on your first solo!

@Travis P Congrats! You mention upstate NY - who/where are you training with?

As for me - Signed off today for the check ride (next Tuesday). IACRA submitted and all official. Whew. Flew another 2.1 doing practice out at KRME and nearby, as well as 0.5 under the hood. I think I'm ready if I can just remember to slow down and "do the tasks". I.e. not get flustered or distracted. Gotta say I'm confident, but nervous.

Good luck buddy!

Currently working through what I like to call "Maneuver Perfection" prior to the formal mock checkride. I had a little gap where I was in training for a couple of weeks, and got back in the air last weekend. I was a little rusty, but before I knew it I was doing short field landings, short/soft field takeoffs. Think I was actually within standards on most of them too! Good to feel that way. I am taking a couple of weeks off in November, hoping to knock out as many lessons as possible during that time, and maybe even take my checkride. I am Moving in January, and as others have said.. winter is coming. Really want to knock this out!

Also moving into a new house at the same time, with lots of unexpected expenses. I am confident everything will work out, and I am not feeling nervous that I won't be able to finish. But, it certainly gives me reason to study every night!

Took my wife along with us on my lesson today. She had a blast and was a real trooper.

She was pretty nervous starting out, but did fine. Only screamed a couple of times (way less than I expected). Once doing steep turns when I came back around and hit my own wake, forgot to warn her about that. Then I did one stall. CFI had me explain what I was about to do and why, so I prepared her. But of course the first time doing a stall is always a little freaky, even moreso if you're a casual passenger.

Sunday got another lesson and planning for another solo, this time 1 hour in the pattern.

Well, I passed! Just got back home a little bit ago. Long day... Up at 5am, finished weather briefing and planning, off to KSYR. Then flew solo too KRME to meet the DPE. Great guy, very fair. Long oral, did well. Then off to the ride, had some difficulty on a couple Landings, and did one go around, but did meet specification. Final result was a pass!

I'm pooped. I'll do a full write up for those of you getting close. Just not tonight.

Keep moving forward everyone, it can be done!

Last edited:
Well, I passed! Just got back home a little bit ago. Long day... Up at 5am, finished weather briefing and planning, off to KSYR. Then flew solo too KRME to meet the DPE. Great guy, very fair. Long oral, did well. Then off to the ride, had some difficulty on a couple Landings, and did one go around, but did meet specification. Final result was a pass!

I'm pooped. I'll do a full write up for those of you getting close. Just not tonight.

YESSIR! That's what I'm talkin' about!

Congrats, all worth it huh? Now go celebrate, and FLY. Turn someone else on to flying.

Last edited:

Congrats pilot!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Congrats! That is awesome. Now relax and take someone up for a fun flight.

Congratulations!! That's great!

Pic my wife got yesterday during my lesson

bbad3607527404311afff3034892ed71.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats!! I know you have been at it for awhile. You might as well start IFR training now before you forgoet everything. lol.

Congrats!! I know you have been at it for awhile. You might as well start IFR training now before you forgoet everything. lol.

Yeah, I really should :) I have to say, under the hood (especially the "good hood" not foggles) was pretty intense. Its amazing how much you wind up "fighting youself" compared to the same exact conditions with the hood off.

Next for me is tailwheel - As soon as the cub up at KFZY is back from it's annual. My grandfather's biplane arrives Friday - I will officially be an airplane owner too!

Congrats- looking forward to the writeup! Feels good I bet!

Finished my Night flying requirements. CX , KCRQ-KONT-KCRQ. Bounced around coming into KONT due to some winds on approach but other than that, Beautiful flight. Flight following a breeze due to low traffic.

Beautiful pictures! I remember my first night flight.. our panel lights happened not to be working the entire trip. Good thing I brought a flashlight! Good training with my instructor.

Finished my Night flying requirements. CX , KCRQ-KONT-KCRQ. Bounced around coming into KONT due to some winds on approach but other than that, Beautiful flight. Flight following a breeze due to low traffic.

Good job. I'm doing my night CX tonight (KCRG-KFIN-KCRG). Wondering if there will be any extra sights since it's Halloween.:eek:

Last night I had 2.1 hours of cross country night flying (CRG-FIN-CRG) to finish out that requirement. Beautiful night on Halloween with zero bumps.
Today I did 2.1 hours of solo country (CRG-LCQ-CRG). Lots of bumps. I was not confident enough to use flight following after using it last night in the dual night XC. We must have been handed off at least 4 times.

Another lesson yesterday. I did a few power off and power on stalls, unusual attitude, slow flight, maneuvers wearing foggles, simulated engine loss and 3 much improved landings.

The unfortunate part is I got rear ended on my way home after the lesson. I’m glad the accident happened AFTER flying.

After a few years of lurking in the background on this forum and debating starting my lessons, I finally scheduled my first lesson. Lessons start Saturday morning at 8. I am excited. Wish me luck.
Good luck, have fun.

Good evening everyone. This is my first time on the forum. Almost finished my training back in 2013 but ran out of money. I presently have over 52 hours and am trying to get back in and finish. Looking forward to conversing with all of you. :)

Last night I had 2.1 hours of cross country night flying (CRG-FIN-CRG) to finish out that requirement. Beautiful night on Halloween with zero bumps.
Today I did 2.1 hours of solo country (CRG-LCQ-CRG). Lots of bumps. I was not confident enough to use flight following after using it last night in the dual night XC. We must have been handed off at least 4 times.

I have been handed off more than that and it can seem a little much, Stumbled alot at first but, It all comes with practice.
Good evening everyone. This is my first time on the forum. Almost finished my training back in 2013 but ran out of money. I presently have over 52 hours and am trying to get back in and finish. Looking forward to conversing with all of you. :)

Same boat as you, Stick with it!

I was supposed to fly my next lesson today and work on ground reference and going to a different airport, but I had to cancel due to not being 100%. I wish I could have taken the lesson, but I made the proper decision to scrub the flight when not able to perform at my best.

I was supposed to fly my next lesson today and work on ground reference and going to a different airport, but I had to cancel due to not being 100%. I wish I could have taken the lesson, but I made the proper decision to scrub the flight when not able to perform at my best.

Practicing those Pilot In Command skills. Not a bad thing at all. :)

Last edited:
I see YOUR name is on the pics, not your girl's, unless her name is Ed. Does she know you're taking credit for her work? :D

I kid! Nice pics, congrats on your training. Solo XC are a blast especially if you get lost. Hard to do that these days with all the GPSs onboard. See how technology and progress have robbed you of wonderful aviation memories? ;)

Had a flight for the first time in two weeks this last Saturday (moving, work, weather). Was a great refresher flight- slow flight and stalls, along with short field takeoffs and short field landings- and my all time least favorite, steep turns! I need to spend a little bit more time chair flying to get my flows right, and I had a botched short field landing (flew it into the ground, whoops- should have let it fly 50 more feet or so. I wanted to get it on the ground NOW! big mistake), and messed up one of my steep turns. However, I am still feeling fresh and confident- I know any time you wait a week or more between sessions, there is a little rust to shake off. I've got a couple weeks off coming up exclusively for flying. I'm excited!

Bummed, had to scrub my flight lesson yesterday. It was too windy for a lesson.

Rescheduled for this Friday and another one next Monday.

better to be on Flight Following and stumble with calls and frequencies then to have a emergency and have no one to ask for help. just write down each frequency they give you..that way if you make a mistake with writing it down and you start calling out on the wrong frequency you can just go back to a previous frequency and ask for the correct frequency. plus you wont have to stumble with fore flight, charts or what ever you use trying to find the nearest FSS. and remember the magic phrase "Im a Student Pilot". tell a controller that and they will slow down and make sure you know the information that you need

I'm currently getting discouraged. I had to cancel two lessons in a row. Now I can't get another lesson in until Sunday.

Back