So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

This is going faster than I expected. Little over 11 hours, doing a part 61 “stage one” check tomorrow, since it’s the same curriculum as the 141 more or less. Been largely doing stuff to the ACS standard.

We’ve discussed a solo later this week, which I’m sure I won’t hurt myself or the airplane, but is nonetheless intimidating, given it’s been 11 hours in the plane to date.

Have about 18 hours. Still getting over being nervous. Doing stalls power on and off, unusual attitude recovery. Landing is my Achillies heel. The CFI is great no problems there. Starting to get fun. Did 6 landings Tuesday in a 5-7 k crosswind without assistance. CFI keeps saying I am about ready to solo, but I am not. Feel a few extra hours until i get more confident and relaxed would be better. Overall, the weather hasn't been great for training, windy almost every day. Some days were canceled others flew with 15 k. One day was over 20. Couple hours scheduled for tomorrow.

Have about 18 hours. Still getting over being nervous. Doing stalls power on and off, unusual attitude recovery. Landing is my Achillies heel. The CFI is great no problems there. Starting to get fun. Did 6 landings Tuesday in a 5-7 k crosswind without assistance. CFI keeps saying I am about ready to solo, but I am not. Feel a few extra hours until i get more confident and relaxed would be better. Overall, the weather hasn't been great for training, windy almost every day. Some days were canceled others flew with 15 k. One day was over 20. Couple hours scheduled for tomorrow.
For the most part I trust when they say you are ready. Especially when they start messaging on their phone while you fly.

I think in most cases when people are told they are ready the instructor had stopped hovering over the controls, and basically you had been flying the plane all on your own. The nerves is always the final barrier but that will go after a few solos. If they say go I wouldn't hesitate.

Passed my first ever medical today, navigated a few major issues getting a mountain of paperwork compiled going into it for a few issues. Found a few awesome docs to work with and walked out with my med issued today. Free and clear. Pretty happy with that and now can start down the path, albeit 30 years later than I should have. Had to tell someone, been grinning ear to ear all day since. But now the real work starts.

For the most part I trust when they say you are ready. Especially when they start messaging on their phone while you fly.

I think in most cases when people are told they are ready the instructor had stopped hovering over the controls, and basically you had been flying the plane all on your own. The nerves is always the final barrier but that will go after a few solos. If they say go I wouldn't hesitate.
Thanks for the reinforcement. Appears the winds will be calm today. If I can land ok without chasing it 1/2 way down the runway that should ease my doubt.

Passed my first ever medical today, navigated a few major issues getting a mountain of paperwork compiled going into it for a few issues. Found a few awesome docs to work with and walked out with my med issued today. Free and clear. Pretty happy with that and now can start down the path, albeit 30 years later than I should have. Had to tell someone, been grinning ear to ear all day since. But now the real work starts.
I almost waited too long 20 years; you know that life got in the way thing. Medical ended up being a larger hurdle that I thought.

I almost waited too long 20 years; you know that life got in the way thing. Medical ended up being a larger hurdle that I thought.
Yeah my current medical stuff really wasn’t an issue ironically

1st solo today!
How'd it go? My CFI wants to endorse me pretty soon for mine. Just did a ground lesson today going over some things, tomorrow morning we plan on maneuvers and t/o + landings. gotta wait for IACRA to send me my temp though.

How'd it go? My CFI wants to endorse me pretty soon for mine. Just did a ground lesson today going over some things, tomorrow morning we plan on maneuvers and t/o + landings. gotta wait for IACRA to send me my temp though.
It was good. Left a busy ATL area D airport for a less busy D. Much less nervous than I expected. 3 full stop taxi backs.

Landing 1 - great
Landing 2 - ok, but it started to wheelbarrow on me, or felt like it did after well after touchdown and rolling out a little bit
Landing 3 - bounced, but held it ok, I pulled power a little early and quickly, then rounded out early, most of the ingredients to float and fall the last 5 feet.

My seat dropped down suddenly, which changed my sight picture a bit. Super fun, but lots to work on to keep getting better.

It was good. Left a busy ATL area D airport for a less busy D. Much less nervous than I expected. 3 full stop taxi backs.

Landing 1 - great
Landing 2 - ok, but it started to wheelbarrow on me, or felt like it did after well after touchdown and rolling out a little bit
Landing 3 - bounced, but held it ok, I pulled power a little early and quickly, then rounded out early, most of the ingredients to float and fall the last 5 feet.

My seat dropped down suddenly, which changed my sight picture a bit. Super fun, but lots to work on to keep getting better.
That's awesome to hear, man! I'm going to try to record my first solo if I can snag a GoPro before then.

It's really great you know exactly how your landings went, really good to be able to reflect on that. I just hope I'm solid on my own takeoffs and landings soon!

Happy update! Since my last reply in January, a lot has changed.

- I finished my ground school portion, and am now gearing up for the PPL written exam.​
- I finally got my Medical in March, after 5 months of deferral to OKC.​
and, as of yesterday...​
- I have completed my FIRST SOLO!​
Onward and upward!

on the checkride schedule list, ready to get CFII over with. will post outcome when it happens

Wind calmed down the last couple days. Got another 15 landings in most were decent. CFI gave me the keys this morning, did 3 more solo. Last one was a little rough as it was getting windy again but brought the plane back in one piece and flyable. lol

He signed off the solo endorsement for the local training area. Glad that part is done for now.

Back