So Stoked: New Job and First PIC Commercial Flight!!!

HighFlyingA380

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim F.
So excited to be (unexpectedly) officially starting my aviation career! [Sure, I had an awesome internship at KSUS, but that was a short-term thing.] Got hired at Air Associates of Missouri at KSUS to do some front desk, office, and other work while I get my CFI. Also will be doing the flying for aerial photography, since it sounds like their main guy doesn't have the time anymore. The first flight for that is tomorrow morning, as is supposed to last about 8 hours. It will be my first actual commercial flight as PIC. (About time, I've had my commercial license for 9 months now. :))

The best thing about this is I didn't even have to apply or fight other applicants for it. They just called me up a few days ago. Should do great to get me in the door for when I get my CFI in a couple of months.

Any tips for this photography flight would be awesome. Luckily, we're working in a rural area, about 30nm WSW of KSUS at 800' AGL, so there shouldn't be many traffic or airspace issues, but any tips or advice would be great. As I said, this was all sprung on me suddenly in the last 24 hours, so I didn't really have much time to prepare or anything.

So excited to be (unexpectedly) officially starting my aviation career! [Sure, I had an awesome internship at KSUS, but that was a short-term thing.] Got hired at Air Associates of Missouri at KSUS to do some front desk, office, and other work while I get my CFI. Also will be doing the flying for aerial photography, since it sounds like their main guy doesn't have the time anymore. The first flight for that is tomorrow morning, as is supposed to last about 8 hours. It will be my first actual commercial flight as PIC. (About time, I've had my commercial license for 9 months now. :))

The best thing about this is I didn't even have to apply or fight other applicants for it. They just called me up a few days ago. Should do great to get me in the door for when I get my CFI in a couple of months.

Any tips for this photography flight would be awesome. Luckily, we're working in a rural area, about 30nm WSW of KSUS at 800' AGL, so there shouldn't be many traffic or airspace issues, but any tips or advice would be great. As I said, this was all sprung on me suddenly in the last 24 hours, so I didn't really have much time to prepare or anything.
Good for you! Coincidentally my first PIC commercial flight was out of KSUS too. A long time ago. It was doing aerial photography too. Are you working for the big company at the T intersection?

Good for you! Coincidentally my first PIC commercial flight was out of KSUS too. A long time ago. It was doing aerial photography too. Are you working for the big company at the T intersection?
Thanks! KSUS is a great airport. Grew up at it, and wouldn't mind if I never leave. Nope, not Surdex (I'm assuming that's who you're talking about. Their the only other aerial mapping/photography company I know of there.) From what I understand, it's just a guy with a small company who hires the pilot and aircraft from Air Associates.

Thanks! KSUS is a great airport. Grew up at it, and wouldn't mind if I never leave. Nope, not Surdex (I'm assuming that's who you're talking about. Their the only other aerial mapping/photography company I know of there.) From what I understand, it's just a guy with a small company who hires the pilot and aircraft from Air Associates.
Yes, I was talking about Surdex. I worked for them/with them in an odd business relationship for a few years back in the early 1980s.

I do a lot of aerial photography. As for flying tips, drop one notch of flaps and make use of trim. Smooth and steady carries the day. I have lots of other tips but those are mostly for the photographer, not the pilot!

You don't need any tips. You are a professional pilot now, they are paying you for your expertise. Good luck.

You don't need any tips. You are a professional pilot now, they are paying you for your expertise. Good luck.

Many pilots come here here for tips. I'm sure many are professional pilots as well. This is what this site is for. Here we network and share information and knowledge.

Ask away OP!!!:yes:

Many pilots come here here for tips. I'm sure many are professional pilots as well. This is what this site is for. Here we network and share information and knowledge.

Ask away OP!!!:yes:
Well it was kind of a joke, but if you insist. I know why they come here. :D

Congrats! I'm going to be at KSUS on Friday visiting Wings of Hope.

Thanks for the support!

Got 7.3 hours today in the C172RG Cutlass. All of it about 800'agl at 75-85kts. (Didn't use any flaps though.) Just followed the roads and did turns around houses to get better pictures. Awfully lot of fun, except for the crank in my neck from always looking to the right, and the -5 degree temps + windchill from the window being open. Scheduled to do it again next Thursday, but expect to get more like 8.5 hours, now that I know for sure what kind of fuel burn I'm getting.

Back