So Sorry

Those folks have a job and the intelligence to show up for work, instead of lying about on public assistance, complaining about all those tax payers who make their stay at home existence possible.

These people are one and the same. Most Wal-Mart employees are on some kind of government assistance.

In 28 years of active duty I had exactly 10 Thanksgivings and 14 Christmases at home. I missed more of my kid's birthdays and school events than I care to remember. But that was part of the job I signed up to do. Working a retail job on a holiday to boost corporate profits while getting minimum wage is a different sort of duck. I do not patronize Wally World, and I do not shop on holidays.

In 28 years of active duty I had exactly 10 Thanksgivings and 14 Christmases at home. I missed more of my kid's birthdays and school events than I care to remember. But that was part of the job I signed up to do. Working a retail job on a holiday to boost corporate profits while getting minimum wage is a different sort of duck. I do not patronize Wally World, and I do not shop on holidays.
They chose that low-end retail position knowing very well that working holidays is "part of the job [they] chose to do." Hows that any different???

While you spend the holiday at home enjoying the family and friends you specialty should know how it feels to be away, and give thanks for those who go in harms way and keep this world turning each day.

There are the ones that must work, and those who would work.

All of this hand wringing cracks me up. Both sides of my family had folks who had to work holidays most years. It typically wasn't the entire day for most, but a partial. We'd schedule the family gathering around it.

Last I checked, it had no impact on our values. LOL.

The only folks I've ever met who would likely whine about people having to work on a holiday were Karen's folks. He was a Probate/Tax Attorney and she was a Home Ec teacher.

They've had half hour long discussions about, "What's he doing?" when I've gotten paged/called by my IT job during visits. Karen and I realized years ago that they honestly have no clue that people work "outside of normal business hours". Heh.

It's almost entertainment at this point. If I get called for something while we are visiting them I can usually catch Karen's eye right as the drama starts as I head to another room and roll my eyes and wink. She tries not to laugh out of respect for her folks.

They just don't get it. I suspect there's a few in this thread who don't either.

There's good trade offs. Technology finally caught up to something I said almost 20 years ago about sysadmin jobs, "I could do this crap from my couch in comfortable clothes!" Now, I usually do. I've even had times where I needed to leave the house after a three day project because I just had to get OUT. Heh. Remarkable.

Count your blessings on Thursday, or if you have to work, whatever other day works for you and yours this year. We always did. There wasn't any big evil WalMart around to blame back then, either.

Someone mentioned dinner at Cracker Barrel. What?! No national *****-fest and boycott threats to never eat there again?! Surely you jest! How about Denny's and IHOP? How many decades have they been open on holidays?

Big fat hairy deal. WalMart and Target are open. Whoop dee doo. Hahaha.

P.S. If you really want your head to explode, consider celebrating Christmas on January 6th. Free christmas trees, and nearly everything is Christmas related is 1/2 off or more.

So you celebrate it on Epiphany.

As long as I get to celebrate the Holidays with my family around the date I will be happy. Thankfully I grew up in a family were everyone was off on Federal Holidays. However my uncle enjoys working Holidays for the double pay. It allows him more time with his family and himself the rest of the year.

As do a lot of military families but I never hear a liberal suggesting adding money to the military budget.

That's because (in part I imagine) the military budget has basically nothing to do with how much service men and women are paid. I don't think anyone in this country on either side would suggest that our men and women in uniform are paid too much or don't deserve a raise. Just do a little research and see which party has continually cut benefits to veterans so it can have money to make more of them.

I'll probably be working this whole Thanksgiving holiday as well. I have to upgrade my computer server and the application that runs on it. In the meantime I will be paying my whole staff for NOT working on Thursday AND FRIDAY.

Funny, that is my project for tomorrow as well. Server move, new domain, bunch of new workstations. So far so good.

I'll be working Thanksgiving. Not my shift this year but I usually work for someone that has kids.

I am very happy to be working all weekend.

Thur.....3x pay
Fri.....2x pay
Sat....1.5x pay
Sun....2x pay

Back