So, no one is getting their IR?

Well, Nick is working on it. But slowly. Maybe we can take up a collection to help him pay for lessons so we can hear about them! :rofl: All you other guys got your ratings though. I miss the reports too.

tonycondon said:
Well, Nick is working on it. But slowly. Maybe we can take up a collection to help him pay for lessons so we can hear about them! :rofl: All you other guys got your ratings though. I miss the reports too.
I miss them too.

Nick, what can I say about Nick? He has bought into a plane, he's on a quest to land at all aprts in his state, he's carrying a full load at college, he may be looking for a new job, and he's working on his IR. It's like a taffy pull.

lol. Yeah - I'm working on my IR....kinda. I haven't been real diligent with the lessons lately...only had about 3 or 4 since the first one in Late November.

I'll start writing reports and working harder though. I want to have my IR before Gastons for sure.

wangmyers said:
I miss the reports!

Maybe I should post my tails of fumbling with the KLN-94/MFD-550/KAP-140 to set it up for approaches? Why oh why does King have to make it soooo hard to use their stuff? If I ever own an airplane, Garmin it is.

No wonder people become smoking holes in the ground while trying to figure this stuff out. Even my instructor, who's read all the books and seen all the DVD's took 20min to get the first GPS approach to load and work properly. Had it been real IMC I would have just hand flown the VOR approach and been done with it. Sheesh.

That is what makes the garmin 430 super nice on loading approaches.
Hit the PROC button, (assuming your final waypoint is your destination)
dial in the approach from the menu, select the transition and activate it.

Takes all of 15 seconds, then just follow the pink line.

Give me a month or two and I'll be starting my instrument training

I gave it up when I started my RH rating.

Single pilot IFR in the klag or screwin' around following roads and rivers in a helo? Which do you think is more fun? ;)

I'm working on mine but I'm writing up my flights for another forum (no, not the Red board).

First time in Actual last Saturday - and we ended up at minimums for the VOR approach to home! We almost had to go to the alternate.

N2212R said:

Actually, the KLN-94 has the same setup right down to the proc button (wonder where they got that idea?). I have several years behind a '94 and some more with it's predecessor the KLN-89B plus a little time working a KLN-90 the dinosaur of MM IFR GPS's. I've also worked with the GNS430/530 several times and IMO the KLN-94 is at least as easy to use as the Garmin albeit a bit less capable. There are a few things I would have done differently in the '94 user interface, but the same is true for the GNS-430. For instance, on the '94 hitting any of the three dedicated map buttons (Garmin has two) takes you directly to the map page bypassing the need to accurately rotate a knob to get there and the extra map setup button on the '94 makes short work of configuring the display to your preference.

Now I'm wading through the simulator and manuals for the GNS-480 and I can see why many say this one's a different animal. There seems to be more similarity between the GNS-430 and the KLN-94 than between the GNS-430 and the GNS-480 which is not surprising given that all three were the output of different design teams. The GNS-480 uses a couple groups of soft keys (buttons with the legend shown on the display next to the button) so the button functions change depending on what mode the unit is in and/or what menu page you have entered. This is a very flexible UI architecture, but it also requires the pilot to memorize most of the menu/function layout or you end up cycling through the different softkey configurations to find what you are looking for. And given the rather large number of combinations of function (softkeys on the bottom) and menus (softkeys on the right) that can waste a lot of time.

I'm starting my comm in two weeks. If you want ineloquent ramblings about chandelles I'll be happy to comply.

James Dean

lancefisher said:
Actually, the KLN-94 has the same setup right down to the proc button (wonder where they got that idea?).

What we had trouble getting it to do was go direct to the IAF. Even though we didn't select "vectors", it kept assuming we were getting vectors. Pain in the arse. Add to the fact that King does not have downloadable simulators or free POM's (like Garmin has), and I have a distinct preference for Garmin products/support.

Expecting 50 guys to buy their own manuals for a club plane is not right.

RotaryWingBob said:

Single pilot IFR in the klag or screwin' around following roads and rivers in a helo? Which do you think is more fun? ;)
I understand your sentiment, but to me flying in IMC is the most fun I've had in aviation. For me, it beats everything else, including aerobatics, sightseeing, etc.

James_Dean said:
I'm starting my comm in two weeks. If you want ineloquent ramblings about chandelles I'll be happy to comply.

James Dean
I would love to hear them. The multi is looking less practical for me, what with the problems with the airplanes, so I might do the comm instead.

wangmyers said:
I understand your sentiment, but to me flying in IMC is the most fun I've had in aviation. For me, it beats everything else, including aerobatics, sightseeing, etc.

I do like some single pilot IFR, it's a good brain teaser. But what I like better is popping out the tops and putting on the sunglasses. :yes:

wangmyers said:
I would love to hear them. The multi is looking less practical for me, what with the problems with the airplanes, so I might do the comm instead.

I don't have anyone near me that will do multi training. I'm doing the comm for proficiency, I have no need for it. Eventually I'd like to become a CFI, I hear the money is awsome.

I've enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for your contributions. I've got my IR, HP and Complex signoffs, and about 400 hours. I own a stiff legged Saratoga, use it for business travel and to haul the family around the midwest.

James Dean

wangmyers said:
That's what is interesting about flying, Ben. I think every pilot has something which they like to do better than anything else. Low and slow, that's me (and possibly my mental state as well ;) ).

RotaryWingBob said:

Are there differences in IR requirements for helo v. fixed wing pilots ?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Are there differences in IR requirements for helo v. fixed wing pilots ?
Very little difference -- 61.65 (c) (2) (iv) says that a certain amount of training must be in helicopters -- the rest can be in airplanes or sims.

Many light helicopters are VFR certified only and many of them are not even suitable for training -- for example, our R22 lacks a DG, has no nav radios, and what instruments are there are not in the 6-pack layout.

RotaryWingBob said:
Very little difference -- 61.65 (c) (2) (iv) says that a certain amount of training must be in helicopters -- the rest can be in airplanes or sims.

Many light helicopters are VFR certified only and many of them are not even suitable for training -- for example, our R22 lacks a DG, has no nav radios, and what instruments are there are not in the 6-pack layout.

How about "VFR" flying minimums ?
Seems like it would be pretty doeable in very low vis & ceilings with a chopper ?
...since you can hover &/or move very slowly ?

Dave Krall CFII said:
How about "VFR" flying minimums ?
Seems like it would be pretty doeable in very low vis & ceilings with a chopper ?
...since you can hover &/or move very slowly ?
True, Dave.

91.155 says:

(b) Class G Airspace. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section, the following operations may be conducted in Class G airspace below 1,200 feet above the surface:

(1) Helicopter. A helicopter may be operated clear of clouds if operated at a speed that allows the pilot adequate opportunity to see any air traffic or obstruction in time to avoid a collision.

What you might find interesting is that the PP-RH rating does not require any instrument training at all! Of course, we do have the advantage that if it gets nasty, we can set it down just about anywhere and sit the weather out.

Last edited:
N2212R said:
I do like some single pilot IFR, it's a good brain teaser. But what I like better is popping out the tops and putting on the sunglasses. :yes:

I agree! December in IA was very dreary. IFR for 3 solid weeks. Towards the end i was so happy to get a chance to climb on top and see a clear blue sky and sunshine! I told all my landlocked friends that I had seen the sun. I was excited.

Bill Jennings said:
What we had trouble getting it to do was go direct to the IAF. Even though we didn't select "vectors", it kept assuming we were getting vectors. Pain in the arse. Add to the fact that King does not have downloadable simulators or free POM's (like Garmin has), and I have a distinct preference for Garmin products/support.

Expecting 50 guys to buy their own manuals for a club plane is not right.

For any approach you have the choice of selecting an IAF from the list of published fixes or vectors to final. When you add an approach to a FPL that originally terminated in an airport, the GPS leaves you navigating to the airport itself until you activate vectors or select an IAF. Once that's done you can enable direct to any fix along the approach, but I don't think it will arm unless the fix you pick is prior to the FAF. IOW unless the FAF is an IAF you cannot go direct to the FAF and exectute the rest of the approach. This is mostly because that's not a legal way to fly an approach. You can pick vectors and then activate VTF (it won't switch until you take that second step) and then navigate on your own using the map or other means to get onto the final approach course outside the FAF if you want to simulate VTF. What were you trying to do?

You're right about the lack of a simulator, but the manuals are availble online if you know where to look.

https://www3.bendixking.com/static/catalog/viewPG.jsp?searchString=KLN+94

They do offer a KLN-89B simulator, but there's enough difference that the only reason to use that if you fly with a '94 is so you can appreciate the improvement.:D

I am starting in the next couple of weeks. Just about ready for the written.
I will try to post but plan on training flights 3 to 4 times a week.I am trying to complete the training and IR in hand one month.
So may be hard to find time to be on the computer much but I will try.

I am really excited to complete the IR. So many times cancelled trip because of low ceilings.

Dogman

The CFII that I was going to use for my instrument flaked out on me 2 times in a row. While I was doing the second half of my PP, he flaked often, once 5 times in a row, 2 of which were no-shows. ( field is 45 minutes away, that sucks )

I think I found another instructor (will be my third) and I'll be using a buddy as a spotter for half of the required hours. I have the Jep book and Sporty's DVDs, and hopefully I'll begin flying again in Feb.

N2212R said:

KLN-94 has the PROC button too. I learned on the KLN-94, which I do like. The Garmin 530 is very sweet, especially with a StormScope during those Carolina summers. What I don't like is the KLN-89B. Ugh!

I'd like to start some kind of training just to give me a purpose for flying. I don't really have a need for an instrument rating other than it looks good on paper and the insurance companys like it.
Crop dusting is where my interest is and there is no need for an IR in a spray plane. I don't think I'll be in the spray business any time soon. I have too many obligations and I'm too old to start at the bottom. I did that part time for a few years and it was too hard doing two full time jobs at fifty years old. I can't justify the cost of just burning fuel to stay current, that's why I've been intertaining instrument training. Anyway, I've been getting nervous about not flying as much as I need to, so I'm back in the motion of the training notion. G'Day

I think many do not realize how valuable the IR really can be to one's flying. Of course, there are the obvious benefits of being able to fly be reference to instruments only, the ability to fly with more reliability with fewer cancellations, and the general tightening of tolerances. But I was pleasantly surprised at what the IR did for me, which I didn't necessarily expect. The instrument training is good for your training a precise yet soft focus. You have to have a disciplined mind, yet you must be able to take in and act upon many stimuli and information at a rapid rate. You learn how to focus, bot not fixate. That type of mental discipline (also found in performance arts) is very beneficial to all types of flying.

Ben,
I started my IR Dec. 28 as a Christmas gift to myself. I've finished 5 flights so far and I'm enjoying the flying. I've performed a lot better than I thought I would. If only the wrtten portion was as "easy"for me as the flying. That's alot of stuff to remember:eek: . I've taken some practice tests and I could pass right now, but my instructor and I want more than just to pass. After just the flights I've had, I can tell a difference in the control I have over the aircraft. I have a couple more flights and then I will really find out how I'm doing when I take my first stage check. I made myself a promise when I started that I would fly at least once a week. So far, my CFII said I was doing well in retaining the previous lessons. I don't think I would want to go more than a couple of weeks without flying. The thing I was most nervous about so far was the simulated 0/0 takeoffs. Last week, I made 2 0/0 takeoffs and had no problem with holding centerline. What would be the next hurdle? Steep turns? I hated those during my PPL. More to follow after my next flight.

Stan

br6ppc said:
Ben,
I started my IR Dec. 28 as a Christmas gift to myself. I've finished 5 flights so far and I'm enjoying the flying. I've performed a lot better than I thought I would. If only the wrtten portion was as "easy"for me as the flying. That's alot of stuff to remember:eek: . I've taken some practice tests and I could pass right now, but my instructor and I want more than just to pass. After just the flights I've had, I can tell a difference in the control I have over the aircraft. I have a couple more flights and then I will really find out how I'm doing when I take my first stage check. I made myself a promise when I started that I would fly at least once a week. So far, my CFII said I was doing well in retaining the previous lessons. I don't think I would want to go more than a couple of weeks without flying. The thing I was most nervous about so far was the simulated 0/0 takeoffs. Last week, I made 2 0/0 takeoffs and had no problem with holding centerline. What would be the next hurdle? Steep turns? I hated those during my PPL. More to follow after my next flight.

Stan
Sounds good--keep it up!

Wow, a year ago I bought the instrument training kit from my school. I have made it through chapter 1. Then life caught up with me, one of them needing a diaper change right now. Be back later ... :dunno:

Back