So much for PHPizabi

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Sadly, I had to disable my pretty new community because PHPizabi is such a resource hog that I was running out of memory on the server. During the database backups, especially, it slowed the whole VPS to a crawl, consuming more resources than everything else combined.

I considered upgrading the VPS (or going dedicated), but the resource use was simply ridiculous considering that there were only four users, and I was two of them. Also, that site doesn't generate any revenue to speak of, so it simply wasn't worth upgrading just to run that community.

I should have read this:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=455622

before I installed it.

Oh, well... live and learn, I guess. Back to the drawing board. I'm testing other community software on a different site (and a different server). We'll see how that goes.

-Rich

I've seen a lot of that. Programmers that know nothing about relational databases and don't want to learn. So they just create a couple tables and store massive serialized arrays all over hell. Every page request involves unserializing hundreds of arrays and then 'querying' that data and doing logic on it within PHP. All of this piles up within memory for each request.

Performance is a major after-thought for many developers. That said, I'm sure this problem could be fixed with some effort. It would be very possible to dig through their code and re-build all the data requests / inserts and create proper tables. It wouldn't be easy but it'd be doable.

I've seen a lot of that. Programmers that know nothing about relational databases and don't want to learn. So they just create a couple tables and store massive serialized arrays all over hell. Every page request involves unserializing hundreds of arrays and then 'querying' that data and doing logic on it within PHP. All of this piles up within memory for each request.

Performance is a major after-thought for many developers. That said, I'm sure this problem could be fixed with some effort. It would be very possible to dig through their code and re-build all the data requests / inserts and create proper tables. It wouldn't be easy but it'd be doable.

Yeah, I backed everything up with that in mind. But given the copyright and licensing terms, I wonder if it would be worth the bother. (Nor have I ever been accused of being the world's greatest programmer...)

Phpizabi has a great out-of-the-box look and feel. I will keep an eye on it and see if they sort things out, and maybe poke around the code a bit more when I have the time. But I'm mainly playing with Elgg for the time being...

-Rich

Back