So much for dreams

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I swear, trying to make a dime in aviation just knocks your socks off.

Tom has a really neat airplane and he's doing a great job putting it all back together. Why in the heck should it be so hard to put something together to make a little scratch from a flying gig?

What happened to combining the joy and money?

Yet as hard as it is it doesn't stop people from dreaming.

Richard said:
I swear, trying to make a dime in aviation just knocks your socks off.

Tom has a really neat airplane and he's doing a great job putting it all back together. Why in the heck should it be so hard to put something together to make a little scratch from a flying gig?

What happened to combining the joy and money?

Yet as hard as it is it doesn't stop people from dreaming.

It's because we traditionally get paid to work and not for play.
One can sometimes get oneself into an artificially higher orbit but it is very unstable.

Someone's making a living off of aviation or the industry wouldn't be around. The fun part's figuring out which niche you can slide yourself into so you can get a livable portion of that money into your own hands. Never give up on a dream. Depression sucks. :)

RE: Dave's comment. It is entirely possible to combine one's avocation with occupation. Hang around an FBO, witness the yearling CFIs thirsty for flight time. It isn't only a paycheck nor only flight time they seek although to ask them it is flight time which is of importance. But practically speaking they must eat therefore the paycheck is also important. The owner of a successful Part 141 school once commented to me (after I had suggested he pay his CFIs more money) that he couldn't keep them out of the cockpit...as to imply a love of occupation was compensation enough.

RE: TD's comment. Just a year before I started this thread I had tried to buy an existing banner tow operation. Forget the fact that the owner was a real whacko, the nail in the coffin was the FSDO put the kibosh on the deal. There was exactly ONE man in the whole Western Region willing to help but he was retiring and the man he passed the reigns to was decidedly against transfer of ownership and decidedly for supporting existing competition in the region (3 western states).
In this industry it is a third party aka fed govt which is an obstacle to overcome among the many obstacles in creating a successful business.
I know many others do prevail so lest this seem I am whining but at what cost? How much of personal monies are laid on the table for 1 to 3 years while the FSDO sorts it out? Bootstrapping...it is laughable. Small time investors...they'll likely bail before the feds get around to making a decision. I dare say it requires millions invested before a business is even launched. Screw that, the investor yields a better return on restored muscle cars or curio firearms. And, as explained to me in depth by two experienced, helpful men in two different FSDOs, quite often it the make or break of a private enterprise in aviation comes down to the decision of ONE person in the FSDO.

Add on: should the feds be in the position of qualifying a private enterprise? What of letting a business rise or fall on it's own merits? Even if the case is made that the public is harmed, what supporting argument is made that the govt is the arbiter of which enterprise is or is not worthy of the endeavor?

Simple. The public demands to be protected. Individual rights have taken a back seat to "cradle to grave" nanny state. It is always much easier for the government to say no than yes. They feds are looking for their next coffee break or quitting time, they cannot be bothered to look at new ideas.

Back