So Long myWingman...

Scrabo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Scrabo
So Long myWingman... we hardly knew you....

This is what happens when you enter an already busy marketplace with a product that was already, out the gate, at least 2 years behind the main players.

Who will be next - FlyQ, iFly ... ?

Do I take it that they have announced termination of the product?

Only the strong survive. Too many players not enough customers.

Only the strong survive. Too many players not enough customers.

I wouldn't care if it were superior to a G1000. BK ain't gettin none of my money.

When they decided to quit innovating and take advantage of people who already owned B/K products is when they lost me. If my kx155 breaks, it's going to the scrap heap.

BK lost me with the AV8OR, which had to be the sorriest single item ever released by a major avionics manufacturer.

BK lost me with the AV8OR, which had to be the sorriest single item ever released by a major avionics manufacturer.

Agree, it was some made in china "Mio" GPS with badly written aviation software, the ACE was slighly better but not by much.

I will say one thing, they did support Zaon traffic on both models

They seem to be just rebadging other peoples products these days, their new Gps/ADSB unit is just a Trig with a diffient faceplate

Sad really

I sense the heavy hand of Honeywell(parent) in this decision. They have been getting further and further from the retail, or consumer market for years and this is just the latest jolt.

I do see the case in point that this was a race to the bottom for price and competing with apps that were offering a lot of bells and whistles for very low annual fee was not much of a cash plan. I think it's possible that many developer managers saw the great rainbow of annual renewals filling their banks from VFR pilots getting updates constantly, when the reality is that many VFR pilots didn't update regularly, some not at all. Hard way to make money if no one is buying your updates for 3-4 years.

I sense the heavy hand of Honeywell(parent) in this decision. They have been getting further and further from the retail, or consumer market for years and this is just the latest jolt.

I do see the case in point that this was a race to the bottom for price and competing with apps that were offering a lot of bells and whistles for very low annual fee was not much of a cash plan. I think it's possible that many developer managers saw the great rainbow of annual renewals filling their banks from VFR pilots getting updates constantly, when the reality is that many VFR pilots didn't update regularly, some not at all. Hard way to make money if no one is buying your updates for 3-4 years.

I think they were aiming at the European market to save the app, it did offer German charts but failed to get any others.

Europe is a very under served market but any chart subscription is usually a lot more euros than their US offerings

I sense the heavy hand of Honeywell(parent) in this decision.
Extremely unlikely. A huge parent like Honeywell does not reach deep into a division to kill an inconsequential product. It was probably killed for the reasons the OP and frfly172 mentioned: it was a weak me-too product, late to market, and the hoped-for miracle did not occur. Same situation as FlyQ, which has the additional negative that it is AOPA trying to compete with its own members and advertisers. For that latter reason alone FlyQ's likely future death should be applauded.

I have used FlyQ for a year now and I like it very much. I have tried to play with WingX but it is a clunky interface especially for flight planning....and I don't want fore flight locking me into one and only one ADS-B device... I hope the flyQ product continues with Seattle Avionics.

And now AOPA are getting out of the app business
Nope. Nothing so sensible. Read further down:

"AOPA will develop a new and distinct smartphone application focusing on content and functions driven by member needs. The new app will provide AOPA Airports directory information, AOPA Weather information, AOPA flight planner functionality, and be built in a manner that is easily expandable to include other AOPA information and resources for members."

I guess flushing money down the FlyQ rat hole was so much fun that AOPA can't wait to do it again. It would be interesting to know why they dumped Seattle Avionics.

It was junk when it came out. My buddy bought one and it died within the "warranty" period but they refused to fix it or replace it. I told him to get a Garmin, but he would not listen. :dunno:

It was junk when it came out. My buddy bought one and it died within the "warranty" period but they refused to fix it or replace it. I told him to get a Garmin, but he would not listen. :dunno:

I got an AV8OR the day it came out and it's still used on every flight since then and still going strong.

I got an AV8OR the day it came out and it's still used on every flight since then and still going strong.

I bought one on clearance ($150) to display Zaon data via BT. Works great.

Richman

I got mine when they were $150, no problems with it. I bought it knowing it was disposable. That was my last BK purchase. BK doesn't do service, they're quite clear about that. I'll never buy another BK product.

Nope. Nothing so sensible. Read further down:

"AOPA will develop a new and distinct smartphone application focusing on content and functions driven by member needs. The new app will provide AOPA Airports directory information, AOPA Weather information, AOPA flight planner functionality, and be built in a manner that is easily expandable to include other AOPA information and resources for members."

I guess flushing money down the FlyQ rat hole was so much fun that AOPA can't wait to do it again. It would be interesting to know why they dumped Seattle Avionics.

The original Airports app was fine with me.

I do see the case in point that this was a race to the bottom for price and competing with apps that were offering a lot of bells and whistles for very low annual fee was not much of a cash plan. .

It is a great cash plan if it's a loss leader or a low-margin adjunct to drive other sales.

For example, I think Garmin is upping its game in the pilot app space by leveraging its massive install-base to drive people toward Garmin Pilot and vice versa. They announced "Connext" which is its name for a remote-mounted, hardwired BT connection between your panel box and... Garmin Pilot. It will be compatible with GNS-and-newer navigators and enables crossfeed of certain data such as flight plans.

I'm not sure its a compelling option for most people since you pay $999 for the one that does flight plan x-fill? Anyway, that's all debatable but it shows their intent to leverage their install-base.

This is something Foreflight and WingX will not be able to match.

The competition in this space has produced some pretty amazing technology. It will be interesting to see how the others respond.

Last edited:
It is a great cash plan if it's a loss leader or a low-margin adjunct to drive other sales.

For example, I think Garmin is upping its game in the pilot app space by leveraging its massive install-base to drive people toward Garmin Pilot and vice versa. They announced "Connext" which is its name for a remote-mounted, hardwired BT connection between your panel box and... Garmin Pilot. It will be compatible with GNS-and-newer navigators and enables crossfeed of certain data such as flight plans.

I'm not sure its a compelling option for most people since you pay $999 for the one that does flight plan x-fill? Anyway, that's all debatable but it shows their intent to leverage their install-base.

This is something Foreflight and WingX will not be able to match.

The competition in this space has produced some pretty amazing technology. It will be interesting to see how the others respond.
Ya, it would be enough to make me switch to GP if it was half the price. Instead, I feel ripped off that the flightstream 110 capability wasn't built into the GDL 88.

I never even heard of mywingman but only recently heard of FlyQ. Don't know anyone who actually used it. Can anyone compare to foreflight?

I never even heard of mywingman but only recently heard of FlyQ. Don't know anyone who actually used it. Can anyone compare to foreflight?

Not impressed by myWingman. Am quite impressed with FlyQ.

Not impressed by myWingman. Am quite impressed with FlyQ.

They are basically the same product, developed by the same developers, under the good they had at least 75% code in common

They are basically the same product, developed by the same developers, under the good they had at least 75% code in common

Then they really screwed up the user interface on MyW!

Back