So long, Enterprise

Wasn't that something when it was launched? Eight nuclear reactors back in 1960. Sometimes I miss the old days when we could actually build something.

From this or another article I read, massive holes will be cut in the sides to remove the reactors, which will render it impractical to refloat as a museum. Hence the Big E is destined for scrap.

How many other ex crew members on the board? 1963 - 66. Reactor Control Division. 2 Mediterranean deployments, 1 Vietnam deployment, twice around the world

I'm surprised we don't give it to the Chinese to help pay down our debt. I know they are refurbishing an old Soviet carrier for their blue water naval ambitions.

John

From this or another article I read, massive holes will be cut in the sides to remove the reactors, which will render it impractical to refloat as a museum. Hence the Big E is destined for scrap.
I read somewhere, too, that there was talk of removing the island for use as a museum/memorial. Not sure how realistic/practical that is, though.

Wasn't that something when it was launched? Eight nuclear reactors back in 1960. Sometimes I miss the old days when we could actually build something.

I think we *are* building something. You might look into the USS Gerald Ford, Enterprise's replacement.

Ron Wanttaja

Interesting, they usually cut holes in the flight deck/hanger bay and take them out vertically, at least for refueling.

CVN-65, 1994-1998, Reactor Electrician

Interesting, they usually cut holes in the flight deck/hanger bay and take them out vertically, at least for refueling.

CVN-65, 1994-1998, Reactor Electrician
Whole reactor or just the fuel rods?

They should turn it into a reef. I think that would be better than just scrapping it.

just read an article about all the bad stuff leaching into the water from our artificial reefs ... I'm not a tree-hugger by any means, but I think we need to learn from our lessons...

yeah, I got pcb-laced transformer oil dumped on me a number of times, wrastled creosote coated power line poles all summer long in short-sleeved (or no) shirt, lived on aircraft carriers during deployments (3 cruises of 6-9 months each), worked at Rocky Flats, and drink diet Coke ...

just read an article about all the bad stuff leaching into the water from our artificial reefs ... I'm not a tree-hugger by any means, but I think we need to learn from our lessons...

yeah, I got pcb-laced transformer oil dumped on me a number of times, wrastled creosote coated power line poles all summer long in short-sleeved (or no) shirt, lived on aircraft carriers during deployments (3 cruises of 6-9 months each), worked at Rocky Flats, and drink diet Coke ...
\\

Geez.... you probably glow in the dark..:yesnod::yesnod:

Maybe you could join the circus as a "human rotating beacon".:wink2::rofl::rofl:

You sir, need a government mandated back-up camera in your life.

You are obviously of unsound mind. ;) ;) ;)

A walking, talking NOTAM?

I'm surprised we don't give it to the Chinese to help pay down our debt. I know they are refurbishing an old Soviet carrier for their blue water naval ambitions.

John

I'm sure Iran would sell us some oil cheap for it too...they already have the F-14s to land on it...might want to throw in some spare parts too...

I think we *are* building something. You might look into the USS Gerald Ford, Enterprise's replacement.

Ron Wanttaja

+1. Just because we retire X ship/shuttle/fighter/whatever does not mean the US is losing it's military dominance. If anything, it shows our dominance and develop as the most powerful might in the world.

Scrap it, at todays brass and iron prices it will dam near pay the national debt.

Back